Mineral Cost & Current Consumption

Help Support CattleToday:

Chocolate Cow2

Reaction score
Has the vitamin shortage been resolved? and has the price of mineral come down? I haven't bought any nor priced it for quite some time. In March I bought a ton and my cows were eating it like it was candy. Now they're not even looking at it but eating salt like crazy. Just wondering what everyone else is seeing.

Vigortone salesman told me on Friday that minerals had come down in price. So I guess the issue with the factory burning had been somewhat resolved. They sure are expensive still. Vigortone is costing me $30/bag with Altosid IGR. So that's .0375 per ounce. 4 oz per day recommended consumption equals 15 cents/head/day which is $54.75/hd/yr. adds up the more you multiply it!

I didn't expect the price to come down once it went up like it did. Never seems to happen with anything else. I'm more surprised how my cows aren't eating it. Apparently the grass is adequate but we've been terribly hot and humid so their salt intake is high. I have a group of 5 weight steers on grass and they are the same way. No mineral consumption but the salt is going fast.

There should be enough salt in the mineral they don't need a block and agree with Jeanne, I don't give them a choice. Bought Animax 6000 mineral with CTC in it last week; 12 50 lb. bags for $225.60/18.8 per. Not as painful as the Smart Lick 30% tubs; 8 250 lb. tubs for $904./113. per.

Latest posts