Menu ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Here is a favorite cool "salad" here.

1 large box orange Jello
1 large tub Cool Whip thawed
1 large tub cottage cheese
4 small or 2 meduim sized cans of drained mandarine oranges.
Mix all together and chill.

Kelly's Taco Salad

1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
1 pkg of cheddar cheese
2 bags of prepared salad mix
1 bag of Doritos
1 chopped tomato

Cook and drain beef. Chill.
Put in a large bowl the salad. Add beef, cheese, tomatos. Crush Doritos into a smaller size and add to salad mix just before serving or they will be soggy.

You can also cook taco seasoning with the beef to spice it up. Can also add minced onion, but I never liked it like that.

Kelly's Wheat Salad

1 large container cool whip
1 8oz pkg cream cheese
2 small boxes instant vanilla pudding
1/2c lemon juice
1 16oz can crushed pineapple undrained
1 can Mandarine oranges
1 1/2c clean and cooked wheat kernels
2-3c mini marshmellows

Cook the wheat in hot water til tender. Drain and cool.
Mix cool whip and cream cheese in a bowl. Add pudding mixes and beat til smooth. Stir in lemon juice and pineapple. Fold in Mandarine oranges, wheat and marshmellows. Chill.

Taco Dip to keep them happy.

2 cans of refried beans
1 pound ground beef cooked with taco seasoning
guacamole
1 16oz container of sour cream plus 1 pkg of taco seasoning
lettuce
cheddar cheese
tomatos
onions
black olives

On a large platter spread refried beans. Top with cooked and chilled beef. Mix taco seasoning with sour cream and spread on top of beef. Spread guacamole on top.
Top with lettuce. Shredded fine cheddar cheese. Top with chopped tomatos, diced onions and sliced olives.
We always used Doritos to eat that dip.

Cheap, Easy, Yummy Appetizers -- that always appear at our family gatherings (but only to those who show up early)

Fire "Crackers"
1 box saltine crackers (cheap brand are fine)
1 cup canola oil
1 package dry ranch dip
2 tbsp crushed red pepper [scale this up or down to your taste... older group use BBQ seasoning, 40's group use 1TBSP]

1. Mix oil, ranch dip, and red pepper in a bowl
2. Put crackers in a bowl
3. Pour oil/seasoning mix over the crackers
4. Stir, and then stir occasionally (every 15 minutes or so), until the oil is soaked up

--eat and enjoy, the crackers will stay crisp

Crab Meat Dip
Imitation crab meat
Cream Cheese
Cocktail Sauce (plain or spicy)
Water Table Crackers (or some other firm cracker)

1. Spread Cream cheese on the plate (doesn't have to be pretty, just relatively flat)
2. Flake out the crab meat on top of the cream cheese in an even layer
3. Spread Cocktail Sauce over the top of it all

Thanks guys for all of the great suggestions . :D I have chosen to break the bank and go with grilled jumbo prawns for appy's and then pulled pork and an Asian salad . I have never been to a wedding let alone a reunion that served rib eye so I hope they all appreciate it . ;-)

We will have a fruit tray and veggie tray set out for the early nibblers as well as a few munchies, but hopefully everyone will be too busy playing games and visiting .

Just got back from building some horseshoe pits for the hall , whew, big job but I think it they will be well used . :D

Thanks again for all of the help CT family ! I sure appreciate it . :tiphat:

BTW attempted my first brisket today. Will let you all know later how it turned out . :help: But d@m , it sure smells good or as hubby would say "something sure smells good in stinkville " :lol: :p

Jogeephus":1rv6hv2t said:
Horseshoes! Its details like this that show you are a great hostess. :tiphat:

Thanks Jo ! Grew up throwing shoes , even when camping we would just dig a hole pound a stake and throw some sand around it. It is a fun game for all ages .

The brisket turned out well. Nothing like yours Jo, or Slicks and Hooks but for my first attempt I am satisfied . :cowboy:

544546_3884225260822_415430501_n.jpg

246470_3884221900738_1450527961_n.jpg

532096_3885151803985_919755091_n.jpg

487995_3885155524078_1928311064_n.jpg

Darn it, I KNEW there was another family reunion we were supposed to go to soon, but I plum forgot to put it on my calendar!!

Menu sounds fabulous, HD. When we have our "family campout," whoever is in charge for that year makes up excell spread sheets that lists everyone/what they are bringing/contributing for meals. It's quite a process . . . . .

I think you did real well with that brisket. They are one of the hardest cuts to do right. And it looks like you nailed it

Nice work on the brisket, that does look good and juicy! Was that choice grade, HD? I cooked one on the 4th that was select grade which is all they sell around here in a brisket without having to drive 100 miles and it was pretty good but kind of dry and chewy. Especially on the flat end.

ga.prime":2gvwn6nr said:
Nice work on the brisket, that does look good and juicy! Was that choice grade, HD? I cooked one on the 4th that was select grade which is all they sell around here in a brisket without having to drive 100 miles and it was pretty good but kind of dry and chewy. Especially on the flat end.

Prime, you should see the Swift 1855 brisket we sell. Top choice and juicy like you cannot believe!

3waycross":12fpk0gu said:
ga.prime":12fpk0gu said:

Prime, you should see the Swift 1855 brisket we sell. Top choice and juicy like you cannot believe!
I'd love to get one! Do you know if they sell those in Ga and if so, where? I'll get one the next time I'm through a place that sells them. :D

Probably not. Their total production comes out of a Neb feedlot. I don't think they sell much down your way. You might check with some local restaurants and see if any of their vendors sell a premium (upper 2/3's choice) brisket.

OK, thanks for the advice 3way. I'll do that. I have a son that lived in a fraternity house in Atlanta up until he graduated back in May and their cafeteria had a lot of their food supplied by Sysco. Too late now but he probably could have gotten one like you describe through them.

ga.prime":12tddr8k said:

Thanks Ga ! As for grade I do not know as I never bothered having him done, he is one of our own GV grass finished steers.

I will be doing choice, grain finished, rib eye and strip loin for the reunion dinner .

Latest posts