Help me plan a menu ?

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I need help with my dinner party on sat the 7th it is going to be July in Jan and about 4 couples are attending.
Was going to do prime rib but the Temp is supposed to be heavenly so we have decided on grilled beef . Tenderloin, porterhouse and rib eye .

I am making Slicks cheesecake for dessert and thought maybe kahlua chocolate berry trifle ??? :?

Now I need help with the rest of the sides .. :help:

Thanks everyone :tiphat:

Oh yes, lots and lots of wine.

Would have loved to do smoked brisket but that will have to wait until I can practice with my smoker .

Here's a potato recipe that will go with everything. Sort of a twice baked potato thingy.

Hot Potato Salad

6 large red potatoes sliced ¼" to ½" thick. Boil, but be careful not to overcook so they won't disintegrate.
2 cups real mayonnaise
1 ½ to 2 cups cubed Velveeta
1 lb. shredded fried bacon
1 large onion chopped finely
1/2 to 1 cup (depending on your taste) sliced ripe olives

Layer ½ of the potatoes in a buttered 9" x 13" dish. Sans bacon, spread ½ of everything else in order. Repeat.

Crumble bacon over top and bake uncovered in a 375F oven. Cook until bubbly (approx. 30 minutes.)

You can make this casserole and refrigerate for 24 hours, but be sure to bring to room temperature before baking to directions.

1982vett":2hfmq3b6 said:
Baked potatoe and a salad....keep it simple :D

Yes, yes, yes! That dessert will go perfectly with this meal. And just about everything except the grilling and dressing the salad can be done ahead of time I think? That way you get to enjoy the company along with the wine. Oh it sounds wonderful! If I lived closer, I'd crash your dinner party!

Me, id do a appetizer of kabobs on the grill. Shrimp, onion, red and yellow peppers and portobello mushrooms altetnating on the kabob. Get jumbo shrimp, little salt and pepper and garlic powder. Do 2 for each guest. That will fire up the appetite and get the grill fest started quite well. Other than that just a baked tater

Potato Casserole
2lb pkg of thawed potatos. Can use either the shredded or cubed potatos
2c. grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4t pepper
1/2t salt
1 16oz container sour cream.
1T dry minced onions.
Mix everything together. Out in a 13x9 inch pan.
Top with 2c crushed corn flakes mixed with 1/4c melted butter
Bake at 350 degrees for 90 minutes.

I luv herfrds":18tgnaou said:
Potato Casserole
2lb pkg of thawed potatos. Can use either the shredded or cubed potatos
2c. grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4t pepper
1/2t salt
1 16oz container sour cream.
1T dry minced onions.
Mix everything together. Out in a 13x9 inch pan.
Top with 2c crushed corn flakes mixed with 1/4c melted butter
Bake at 350 degrees for 90 minutes.

Ditto that and a spinach salad with pecans and a vinegar dressing tossed well.

From the other side of the world ;-) -

With 'grilled' beef cuts I would try and get a couple of colors on the plate to compliment the dark steak, something like roast baby potatoes, roasted asparagus and roasted red and yellow peppers. Perhaps a bed of wild rice with sautéed mushrooms and onions. Have you thought about serving a nice olive bread or ciabatta as well?

Going shopping for the meal tomorrow, will let you all know what I come up with from these fab ideas.

Thanks all !!!!!!!!!!!! :tiphat:

Edit to add : I just received phone calls from 2 of the guests that I should not plan horderves or dessert as they have them covered. I have a feeling that it will be fresh flown in jumbo prawns from the Atlantic as appy's and homemade blk forrest cake .. :banana:

Oh HD you would just about drive me crazy. I really like black forest cake. I REALLY REALLY LOVED your recipe for those fresh cherries.

alisonb":1yzwvhk1 said:

With 'grilled' beef cuts I would try and get a couple of colors on the plate to compliment the dark steak, something like roast baby potatoes, roasted asparagus and roasted red and yellow peppers. Perhaps a bed of wild rice with sautéed mushrooms and onions. Have you thought about serving a nice olive bread or ciabatta as well?

Listen to this woman she knows what is good!!!!!!!!!!

I know you have, for the most part, everything planned out (and it sounds spectacular!). I just wanted to make a suggestion before it was too late. I am not sure if you have heard of congealed salad, but it is always a big hit here. You take 2 boxes of green jello and make it as suggested on the box. Put it in a bowl. Mix in (with a whisk or a blender) shredded canned pineapple, drained cottage cheese, a box of cream cheese and a small container of cool whip. Pour it into a 9x13 pan, and let it sit in the frig over night. Stir it now and again or the chunks of stuff sink to the bottom (it still tastes good but doesn't look as nice). Cut into bars and serve (maybe can be served in its own bowl or it melts and bleeds into any hot food). We always have it here for special occasion meals. :nod:

Have a wonderful time with your friends, and let us know how it all goes!

angie":3frwuprt said:
I know you have, for the most part, everything planned out (and it sounds spectacular!). I just wanted to make a suggestion before it was too late. I am not sure if you have heard of congealed salad, but it is always a big hit here. You take 2 boxes of green jello and make it as suggested on the box. Put it in a bowl. Mix in (with a whisk or a blender) shredded canned pineapple, drained cottage cheese, a box of cream cheese and a small container of cool whip. Pour it into a 9x13 pan, and let it sit in the frig over night. Stir it now and again or the chunks of stuff sink to the bottom (it still tastes good but doesn't look as nice). Cut into bars and serve (maybe can be served in its own bowl or it melts and bleeds into any hot food). We always have it here for special occasion meals. :nod:

Gross, ick, ishy......etc.

MistyMorning":uflxhmg8 said:
angie":uflxhmg8 said:

Gross, ick, ishy......etc.
Kind of like lutefisk

angie":skourkv4 said:

Thanks Angie !!! I think I will have more food than is needed as usual,so will pass on that delicious salad. It sounds perfect for when the kids come out or when we have our family reunion this July. :tiphat:

I have my menu planned and if I do say so myself I have yet again outdone myself .. :lol: Now to pull this all off. Will fill you in on the details tomorrow, when I am prepping . :wave: Hubby came home with a case of 6 different red wines so it could be an interesting dinner. :cowboy:

3waycross":1diclkut said:
alisonb":1diclkut said:

Listen to this woman she knows what is good!!!!!!!!!!
We need to open a restaurant :p

HD - too late now but forgot to add 'a slice of fried halloumi' to that. I take it you are celerbrating your Birthday :mrgreen:

This is the planned menu.

Horderves ,skewered grilled shrimp
Grilled beef of course.
Northern German potato salad (with blue,red and white potatoes)
Grilled veggies ,eggplant, zucchini, asparagus, portobello mushrooms, chanterelle mushrooms soaked in wine ,green beans and red onion . I have some fresh rosemary,cilantro and parsley that I will add to some some Chianti red wine vinegar and olive oil and fresh chopped garlic . Will brush the veggies while they grill. Just before serving I will toss in some cubed homegrown Italian tomatoes that are to die for . ;-)
Grilled corn on the cob
Caesar salad
Fresh olive/rosemary bread and a nice Dutch crunch bread as well.
Dessert is a trifle and a blk forrest cake

I am sure I have forgotten to list something, but that is pretty much the jest of it .

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions . :tiphat:

Uhm, I know you've been busy with all this and its understable however you haven't mentioned what time I need to arrive. ;-)

Latest posts