Memoirs of Haying

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Just wanted to share a photo of how haying has gone today. Weatherman predicted five days of clear hot weather. Perfect for haying. Can seen such beautiful conditions for haying before? :bang:

11218468_1485759205055307_2409321020332028277_n.jpg

Wasn't any pop up thundershower either. It was about a 300 mile long squall line came in from the west. Saw that when I came in the house from spraying a fence row and looked at the weather radar.

In more ways than one I didn't need this rain but rain is what I got. LOTS of it. My week is screwed now.

Had I cut hay when I thought I should rather than listening to the weather liars I'd have it put up by now but nooooooooooooo. I'm too stupid to listen to my gut and chose to listen to these weather folks. And they want me to believe they can predict global warming when they can't predict precipitation five days out. Yeah, I'm buying it.

Oh, and lighteniing just hit something outside. Don't know what it was yet but it was close enough to fry my hotspot on the computer. Anyone need any horse hay? :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I'm cutting hay Tuesday or Wednesday, should have a nice 3-4 day window. Accuweather was calling for 80% rain today here. We've got all our hay baled and in the barn with no rain so far this year. Probably end up having a washout this cutting.

Jogeephus":3nm25z8u said:
In more ways than one I didn't need this rain but rain is what I got. LOTS of it. My week is screwed now.

Had I cut hay when I thought I should rather than listening to the weather liars I'd have it put up by now but nooooooooooooo. I'm too stupid to listen to my gut and chose to listen to these weather folks. And they want me to believe they can predict global warming when they can't predict precipitation five days out. Yeah, I'm buying it.

Oh, and lighteniing just hit something outside. Don't know what it was yet but it was close enough to fry my hotspot on the computer. Anyone need any horse hay? :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Whew....glad to know your tag line still has some relevance here.

"Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again."

Not only can they not tell you what it will do in five days, this morning 60% changed it to 20%. We are now in the middle of our second down pour. They say 20% for 2 hours from now, and 100% chance of global climate change. One of this biggest hoaxes ever sold to man.
CSM

They gave a 60% chance on Thursday when I wanted to cut it then a 50% chance on Friday. I gambled on Friday and cut it. It was blistering hot and not a drop of rain nor was there a drop on Thursday but they predicted not a chance of rain till Wednesday. So I was cautious. Heck, I haven't seen this much rain in weeks.

GP, the tire was scheduled to blow out. I was just planning on running all the goody out of it. I think I did but I didn't plan on it blowing out when it did. Of course, it was good timing really because I sure don't need it today for haying. :lol2:

Not kidding about the high quality horse hay. Rehydrated and double dehydrated. Beaten with the tedder till it should be nice and tender for the discerning horse. :lol2:

1982vett":hzomhv1p said:

I think as long as I have cattle it will be relevant. The day I sell them all will be the day I learn. :oops:

I gambled about 2 weeks ago.. they said I had 5 days of clear, and I need 4... Well.. the rain came at the end of day 3.. a whole day of it.. and wouldn't you know it took me 2 hours to make 2 passes around the field when the weather was rolling in.. bill hook on the knotter got tangled up, and then the fuel pump on the baler packed had an intermittent ground, causing all sorts of pain.

Nesikep":1942dd3n said:
I gambled about 2 weeks ago.. they said I had 5 days of clear, and I need 4... Well.. the rain came at the end of day 3.. a whole day of it.. and wouldn't you know it took me 2 hours to make 2 passes around the field when the weather was rolling in.. bill hook on the knotter got tangled up, and then the fuel pump on the baler packed had an intermittent ground, causing all sorts of pain.

Nesi, you have one of those self powered square balers? You make the BIG square bales?

Got mine up with the one and only cutting.
Wouldn't stop raining to cut when it did now it won't rain.
Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine only one cutting.
What amazes me the most is the ground is dryer three foot deep than in the 2011
drought. Went from mud to concrete, I guess we were refilling the aquifers as the springs
are running wide open.
We are under a burn ban and have gotten our yearly rainfall total this winter and spring.
Just crazy.
Got blessed with 3/4 inch yesterday.

If you think getting hay up dry is rough. Well to cut and get tobacco in sucks way more. We cut for 3 days and haul for 4. And it will take from to weeks ago till hopefully oct. 10. A big rain on it is a real miss to deal with. But the good thing is it makes doing hay a breeze.

I got 4 rounds cut today before I replaced a hydraulic hose and several sections. Then spent the rest of the day sorting cattle while I had help.

I am not surprised.
These, are simply the kinds of things that happen when there is no Blue Bell.
It will get better--soon.

(I hit a stretch of rain Saturday on I-30 just East of Arkadelphia Ark that had even the big trucks pulled off the road. It had visibility down to near zero)

lavacarancher":3jw1gt7k said:
Nesikep":3jw1gt7k said:

Nesi, you have one of those self powered square balers? You make the BIG square bales?
it's a 16x18 inch bale, so it's not the SMALL bale (14x18), but it's not the giant square either... the baler is a 1965 NH 282, they made them in a fully self propelled version as well, the 1282

Jogeephus":2i28ikz7 said:
They gave a 60% chance on Thursday when I wanted to cut it then a 50% chance on Friday. I gambled on Friday and cut it. It was blistering hot and not a drop of rain nor was there a drop on Thursday but they predicted not a chance of rain till Wednesday. So I was cautious. Heck, I haven't seen this much rain in weeks.

GP, the tire was scheduled to blow out. I was just planning on running all the goody out of it. I think I did but I didn't plan on it blowing out when it did. Of course, it was good timing really because I sure don't need it today for haying. :lol2:

Not kidding about the high quality horse hay. Rehydrated and double dehydrated. Beaten with the tedder till it should be nice and tender for the discerning horse. :lol2:

1982vett":2i28ikz7 said:

I think as long as I have cattle it will be relevant. The day I sell them all will be the day I learn. :oops:

Put down payment on some hay ground in heaven. Probably expensive, but I hear it never rains when you have a cuttin' on the ground.

Latest posts