Mating heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

OzssieDave19

Reaction score
Can you mate Heifers younger to get them producing earlier and change the calving date? I have January born weaned Heifers. Can I mate them in January to get the ball rolling a bit earlier?

If you think they're plenty big I don't see why not. Make sure you have a good calving ease bull.

If you can make sure that they'll reach the weight, which you usually calve at, at their earlier calving, then go ahead. However, choose a proper bull and keep a very close eye when they'll calve. I would guess calving them that young has a higher possibility to have more problems with maternity, like not wanting a calf or not letting it nurse. Not saying that it'll be with all, but I'd guess it increases the possibility.

Ok good comments. I think I will grow them out and do it properly. I was just daydreaming about gaining some time.

I calve from 1-1 to 3-5 (with some later if carried longer than 285). I breed all my heifers at the same time shooting for a 1-1 due date, so some of them would be 22 months of age. I have never seen a problem with them, but, they are grown out properly. Not fat, fed for proper growth.

We have bred an early May for a late February calf and had no issues. But like has been said many times bull selection and heifer size/maturity all play rolls.

Latest posts