Marketing Organic Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

grubbie

Reaction score
We have been raising natural beef here for 3 generations, but have never tried to tap into the organic beef market. Seems we might be leaving some money on the table here. Can anyone point me in the right direction? We give our calves an 8 way/blackleg vaccination at spring branding, and nothing else. They are raised on grass, and fed hay from right here on the place that is raised with no chemicals (pesticides, herbicides) whatsoever. Does this fit the definition of organic? Any advice is appreciated.

I'm attempting to do the same as you.

Pasture with no herbicide, pesticide or fertilizer for three years is a requirement.

Feed certified organic. Hay certified organic.

Slaughter house certified organic.

All tough here in south Florida.

Good luck to ya.

Natural and organic aren;t the same thing. Organic has much stricter rules governing it

Organic is going to be tough for you. I looked at that and it is do-able, but tough. In my opinion, grass fed is going to be the way to go. That's what I'm doing.

Where might I find the rules concerning organic? I've done a lot of searching but have yet to find anything official. I will continue the search but if anyone can save me a little time I'd appreciate it if you could pass it on.

USDA hijacked the word "organic." If you use it without their permission, they fine you $10,000.

Well.. Unless you're Wal-Mart, but that's a whole different issue.

Anyway, the word "organic" is basically reserved at this point for "farmers" who can buy enough lawyers to get them through the paperwork, and those type folks have basically tailored the requirements to fit their needs.. For instance, it's perfectly cool to keep a chicken in a 1x1 coop and feed it up to 20% non-organics, but still call the eggs "organic." That's meaningless to the core "organic" crowd who wants eggs from a chicken that actually did what chickens were put on this earth to do -- run around and scratch in the dirt and eat grass and bugs and stuff.

"Local" is the new "organic." If you want to take a little more of that money off the table and put it in your pocket, sell your beef locally -- and be up-front about how you raise your animals.. Most "organic" minded people will want you to have vaccinated and given antibiotics to sick animals, because that's part of being a responsible and compassionate master to one's herd.. They just don't want you vaccinating directly before before slaughter or feeding an maintenance-oriented, antibiotic-infused, 100%-grain diet in a dry lot that's shoulder to shoulder with steers..

Basically, let the animals do what they were put here to do, take good care of them, and offer them up just as they are..

Latest posts