Marbling (Quality) in Serious Decline

Help Support CattleToday:

I suspect this may be the answer we are all looking for to solve the above mentioned problem.

PHILOSOPHY OF LINEAR MEASURING AND CORRELATIONS MALE & FEMALE

Linear measuring is designed to help the producer choose the body type or form (phenotype) of bull and cow that will be high in reproduction, meat production and low in maintenance. Measuring of the many different body parts allows the operator to recognize structural and functional defects, which are genetic defect, and potential problems that arise from improper form and type from breeding practices. Linear measuring teaches the operator about body form and function.

Linear measuring is not about a gene pool concentration. That comes later. Linear measuring is about selecting animals for proper type or form (phenotype). Therefore desired function can be achieved. Choosing the proper body type or form (phenotype) and mating those cows and bulls with each other (kin folk) will build a concentrated gene pool that is consistent, predictable and works best on grass, steers and heifers will finish in 16 to 18 months on grass.

Linear measuring allows the operator to choose the body type or form (phenotype) that the environment around the animals calls for (weather, forage, management, etc.).

Linear measuring works as well for the dairy operator. The cows and bulls he builds from linear measuring will perform best on grass, be high in reproduction and low in maintenance.

Building herds of cows and bulls with the proper form and type sets the stage for healthy, calving ease cows with longevity as is outlined in the instructions. Mastering the instruction manuals teaches you about the many body styles and the effects they have on function and performance of the animal. These practices create grass-based genetics. This type of cow must work for the producer 10 months of the year or she will become fat on grass and therefore reproductively unsound.

Enjoy the study and allow our Creator, God to bless you in all areas of your life and livestock. We receive not because we ask not.

Have someone you trust view what you are creating. Four eyes with wisdom are better than two.

Gearld Fry

Bovine Engineering & Consulting

This is what I am starting to do to select only the best to be used for herd bulls. ;-) :cboy:

The point of the above post is that we all have to start using available tools (like linear measurement) to select the better bulls and cows to use for breeding....and sell the rest for slaughter! This and this alone will improve the quality of beef we produce in the long run. ;-) :cboy:

ChrisH:When choice pays enough for the feedlots to pay a premium for a fleshy feeder, they'll get them.

Chris, It ain't the same old world it was 20-30 years ago.

I just read the other day that about 50% of all slaughtered beef in the U.S. sells on the grid.

We have more and more cattlemen feeding (or having fed) their own calves now.

With the Choice-Select spread as high as it is now, I think they are ALL trying to hit "Choice-Yield Grade 2's".

MikeC":3qfo10o3 said:
ChrisH:When choice pays enough for the feedlots to pay a premium for a fleshy feeder, they'll get them.

Chris, It ain't the same old world it was 20-30 years ago.

I just read the other day that about 50% of all slaughtered beef in the U.S. sells on the grid.

We have more and more cattlemen feeding (or having fed) their own calves now.

With the Choice-Select spread as high as it is now, I think they are ALL trying to hit "Choice-Yield Grade 2's".

I'll agree it's not the same old world it was 20-30 years ago. Without having seen any statistics I would have guessed fewer cattlemen are feeding their own calves now than before.
Interesting topic.

Frankie:

Every once in a while you have gem, but in the meanwhile, you sound like an Angus breeder.

Of course you think that if they are Angus the percent increases, you only read what the CAB folks want you to read in the AAA Journal.

You have no choice but ignorance.

I've seen many more thousands of head of cattle hit CAB from "common" cattle than from "Angus" breeding. Most guys I know with any sense at all in how to do it hit over 60% CAB every time with these "common" cattle. One has hit over 90% regularly for over 10 years. Guess what? His higher % Angus are lower, imagine that.

Results the "straight" Angus guys only get by sorting, sifting, scanning, debating, fudging, hedging, whittling, wheedling.

mtnman

mtnman":8g1b1oss said:
Frankie:

Every once in a while you have gem, but in the meanwhile, you sound like an Angus breeder.

I am an Angus breeder and I know there are good Angus and bad Angus. I've never said anything else.

I've seen many more thousands of head of cattle hit CAB from "common" cattle than from "Angus" breeding. Most guys I know with any sense at all in how to do it hit over 60% CAB every time with these "common" cattle. One has hit over 90% regularly for over 10 years. Guess what? His higher % Angus are lower, imagine that.

I never used the word "common". The Angus Assn has records of thousands of Angus sired cattle, many sire identified, and it's a fact that they hit the CAB target at a higher rate than GENERIC black cattle. Apparently you don't know many guys, if CAB percentage is as low as Mike is telling us. Angus cattle aren't magic. Some of them don't marble. Simple fact. Some of them do.

Results the "straight" Angus guys only get by sorting, sifting, scanning, debating, fudging, hedging, whittling, wheedling.
mtnman

You keep bashing Angus, but your comments are only your opinion. I don't see them backed up by anthing but hot air.

Its easier to say whats wrong with what someone else has than to say whats right with what you have.

All this CAB bashing sounds like someone is making sour wine out of their sour grapes. :D

3MR":33u1fjxo said:
Its easier to say whats wrong with what someone else has than to say whats right with what you have.

All this CAB bashing sounds like someone is making sour wine out of their sour grapes. :D

Who's bashing CAB? I hope you weren't including me in that statement.

Nope!

Im referring to the people who dont seem to get the picture that CAB is a marketing tool not a breed.

That it can no more be blamed for the decline in any particular breed than Ford can be blamed for problems with Dodge or vice versa.

That is true. No breed can blame CAB for their own faults. I think what some may be trying to say is that Angus don't meet the requirements for CAB any better than other breeds, but they get a free pass on their own shortcomings because people who buy CAB believe it's Angus beef they're buying every time. So they associate the good product with Angus even though it might have been a Black Limo x Hereford. The Angus people get to sell more bulls when the other breeds have actually contributed to the success of CAB a significant amount and get no credit. I hope I said that the way it was going through my head. :lol:

I think the best way for seedstock producers to improve carcass traits in their own herd is to at least ultrasound the replacement heifers and sell the outliners. Then breed to proven bulls with above average carcass traits.

Kent":24i1lmgt said:
That is true. No breed can blame CAB for their own faults. I think what some may be trying to say is that Angus don't meet the requirements for CAB any better than other breeds, but they get a free pass on their own shortcomings because people who buy CAB believe it's Angus beef they're buying every time. So they associate the good product with Angus even though it might have been a Black Limo x Hereford. The Angus people get to sell more bulls when the other breeds have actually contributed to the success of CAB a significant amount and get no credit. I hope I said that the way it was going through my head. :lol:

Yup, thats what I call great marketing.

But I dont think the meat product being associated with Angus directly sells more bulls. The producers know what the requirments are.

I think it sells more meat...

..... but what I think sells more Angus bulls is the Black hide requirement. This in turn creates more possible Angus combinations that will meet CAB requirments, which sells more meat, which puts more dollars in the producers pocket which takes us back to selling more Angus bulls, which is why AAA designed the program. :D

If that makes any sense.

Like any marketing tool, its all about money in the bank.

I think all the criticism of CAB would go away if they would just begin requiring at least 50% Angus blood in every carcass.

Kent":2mjcfi7l said:
I think all the criticism of CAB would go away if they would just begin requiring at least 50% Angus blood in every carcass.

Maybe, but right now it benefits a larger group of producers while still putting dollars back into the Angus producers pocket.

CAB has been wonderful for the entire beef industry. I can walk down the street here in Korea and see CAB signs in resteraunt windows. Do you think they really have CAB beef, Of course not. Couldnt even get it now if they wanted too.

But the fact remains CAB sells beef, which is good for all of us.

Kent":1i0yqk8u said:

They couldn't get enough product then Kent. They are having a heck of a time now. I think 1999 was their peak acceptance year.

MikeC":tk0hhlv6 said:
Kent":tk0hhlv6 said:

They couldn't get enough product then Kent. They are having a heck of a time now. I think 1999 was their peak acceptance year.

I think 95% of the criticism would go away if Mike's computer froze up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

3MR":330fzm2r said:
MikeC":330fzm2r said:
Kent":330fzm2r said:

I think 95% of the criticism would go away if Mike's computer froze up. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :clap:

But I dont think the meat product being associated with Angus directly sells more bulls. The producers know what the requirments are.

but what I think sells more Angus bulls is the Black hide requirement.

Dang son! You like arguing with your self?

MikeC":hb0m40ff said:

but what I think sells more Angus bulls is the Black hide requirement.

Dang son! You like arguing with your self?

Nope.

Maybe I should explain what the word "Directly means" 8)

Thats why I wrote this

I think it sells more meat...

..... but what I think sells more Angus bulls is the Black hide requirement. This in turn creates more possible Angus combinations that will meet CAB requirements, which sells more meat, which puts more dollars in the producers pocket which takes us back to selling more Angus bulls, which is why AAA designed the program.

but then if you choose to pick and choose little pieces that you think make your point then so be it. Seems you have a lot of practice doing that. ;-)

PS: Id rather argue with myself than with you. At least when I argue with myself I get an intelligent response. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts