Manual vs. automatic head gate

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm pretty new at cattle and I find automatic the only way to go. Heck I have an impossible time catching the cows manually and mine are pretty darn tame. The only thing that seems to work for me is to get them in the chute, close the gate behind them and then coax them one way or the other to go forward through the headgate.

Heck I have problems with that from time to time! I'm going to make some modifications to my chute - close up the sides so they can only see light through the headgate, and see if that helps getting them to walk through.

The couple times I have tried to use the headgate in manual mode, they have just bounced off it and gone back. I don't know what skills I am lacking in manually catching cows but it just works better to use the headgate in automatic mode.

canoetrpr":278jx1qk said:
I'm pretty new at cattle and I find automatic the only way to go. Heck I have an impossible time catching the cows manually and mine are pretty darn tame. The only thing that seems to work for me is to get them in the chute, close the gate behind them and then coax them one way or the other to go forward through the headgate.

Heck I have problems with that from time to time! I'm going to make some modifications to my chute - close up the sides so they can only see light through the headgate, and see if that helps getting them to walk through.

The couple times I have tried to use the headgate in manual mode, they have just bounced off it and gone back. I don't know what skills I am lacking in manually catching cows but it just works better to use the headgate in automatic mode.

Let me know how it works out.

backhoeboogie":1qpegbid said:
Some of the "automatics" I have seen are not much more than manual versions. All of my personal units are manual. It takes its burden if you have enough cows to work, plus the additional time it takes etc. Especially when I am going it alone.

The vet I help on occasion has the fully auto hydraulic unit. It is portable. He runs all the levers with the left hand and keeps the gloved arm free to palpate. Once he has the cows set he innoculates with the left hand using his guns. One assistant writes down every number and every innoculation, palpate results etc. Another assistant cuts tags and applies new ones. The assistants cannot keep up with the vet. He works every lever as if it was an attachment of his body. Never looks at them and always has his eyes on the animals. I guess that comes with repetition day after day after day. Kind of like typing on a keyboard.

Using a hydraulic "automatic" unit allows a person to work hundreds of more cows per day. No matter how good any of us are with non-powered units, we cannot compare.

I'd spend that $100 if I were you. One bad situation with a cow will pay for it. Even if you are going to be working 200 plus head in a day with an auto unit, it never hurst to have a back up. For that price you can't go wrong.
never seen a automatic hydraulic chute
so how does it work and catch automatically and override the hydraulic system with out the vet pulling a lever to activate the hyd cylinder

Good point. The levers manually adjust width, reset, release, sweep the head etc. Kind of like putting an automatic transmission in drive, getting up to speed and setting the cruise etc.

backhoeboogie":34162ijj said:
Good point. The levers manually adjust width, reset, release, sweep the head etc. Kind of like putting an automatic transmission in drive, getting up to speed and setting the cruise etc.
hopefully I will never have to use anything but hydraulic chutes makes life much easier sorted and
ran 109 cows thru the chute and pregged,and wormed a week or so ago in less than 2hrs then ate dinner and went back and me,wife and the one legged cowboy ran 102 calves thru in less than 2 hrs

vet likes coming to my place cause he can get done quick and we usually feed him dinner

I picked up the headgate yesterday. Here's a picture-I don't know why it's horizontal - it's vertical on Photobucket. It's not pretty - it's been outside, leaning against a tree, for 2 or 3 years. Lots of peeling paint and rust spots, loose bolts, dry joints, etc. But overall it works PERFECTLY. When I get it cleaned up, tighten/replace a few bolts, lubricate it, etc. it'll be good as new. Best $100 I ever spent. Now if I could just find as good a deal on some corral panels......

headgate1.jpg

I've got one that looks just like that on the end of a portable chute. There's a medina gate and a cut gate on the side of that chute. It works fine but I miss some. It looks like someone welded base post spikes on that one.

That gate will catch in both directions. There's a box pen on the end of mine that I attach. Usually if I miss one they will turn around and come back. There is an assist handle on the side of mine too.

It is worth more than $100.

Latest posts