Manual vs. automatic head gate

Help Support CattleToday:

Ruark

Reaction score
For very mild, calm, halter-broke small Herefords (e.g. 800-1000 lb. cows), which is better, a manual or automatic head gate - or rather, does it make that much difference? I know one guy who just bought a big fancy squeeze chute. He says I can have the head gate he previously used for $100 - it's in perfect condition and appears to be heavily built.

At this point, however, I don't know if it's manual or automatic, or if it really matters that much - I've personally never handled a head gate, just watched them used, but $100 is a heck of a good deal. I'm wondering if the difference is so great that I should pass it up if it's the "wrong" kind. Advice is welcome and appreciated.

Doesn't matter...at that price you can double your money easily if you don't like it. Personally I prefer the manual...if I'm by myself I just don't open the gate quite as wide and it becomes a self catch.

If you need one I would buy it. Sounds like the price is good. I work cows all the time with a manual. One of mine is supposed to work either way but I always use the manual catch. It's seldom I have help working cows. Seems to run smoother that way here.

fitz

My personal opinion is that I prefer a manual head gate. When I had cattle with horns the automatic I had (and still have) would miss about every third head because the horns would trip it before the shoulders got to the right place.

But for a hundred bucks go for it.

shaz":lrpgbvie said:
Automatic. What if you have to work cows by yourself?

I work cows alone and prefer the manual - I crowd em with a rump bar then scratch their rear with a stick.

I'd buy any headgate for $100 and sell it for $300 as previously suggested. Done it a couple times actually.

i've got a preifort auto/manuel that works real well in both applications. i've been using the manual more lately; just close the back gate and open the headgate manually till they come through. for a $100 though i'd buy the one offered you...how do you plan on mounting it?

tsmaxx47":2u1siwo5 said:
...how do you plan on mounting it?

Oh, I don't know, I'll have to look at it. I'll come up with something. Maybe weld a bracket onto it, something like that.

Ruark":15yjl7am said:
tsmaxx47":15yjl7am said:
...how do you plan on mounting it?

Oh, I don't know, I'll have to look at it. I'll come up with something. Maybe weld a bracket onto it, something like that.
What ever you think will work double it. Ever seen a cow with a head gate nickles running around the pasture? :lol2:
As far as automatic vs. manual when working alone. Ever see a cow make it through with her shoulders and get caught in front of the hips? :cry2:

shaz":23i9dx5b said:

i would NEVER EVER work cows by myself....that being said i have an auto and its nice to be able to poke em thru it till it gits em...if the others are sorting or somethin

For 100 you can't go wrong. Either one take sgetting used to and the automatic you have to change the settings on it for smaller cattle and calves. Mine is automatic and I still have to catch manual with it sometimes. Lots of times I don't have to catch the cow at all just close the head catch and do what I have to do then open it back up and let them through. Gentle easy handling cows are great! Makes life so easy.

Ruark":vj8bxef0 said:
For very mild, calm, halter-broke small Herefords (e.g. 800-1000 lb. cows), which is better, a manual or automatic head gate - or rather, does it make that much difference? I know one guy who just bought a big fancy squeeze chute. He says I can have the head gate he previously used for $100 - it's in perfect condition and appears to be heavily built.

At this point, however, I don't know if it's manual or automatic, or if it really matters that much - I've personally never handled a head gate, just watched them used, but $100 is a heck of a good deal. I'm wondering if the difference is so great that I should pass it up if it's the "wrong" kind. Advice is welcome and appreciated.

Curious about your cattle, registered? Old genetics? Really tough country? Photos by any chance?

Some of the "automatics" I have seen are not much more than manual versions. All of my personal units are manual. It takes its burden if you have enough cows to work, plus the additional time it takes etc. Especially when I am going it alone.

The vet I help on occasion has the fully auto hydraulic unit. It is portable. He runs all the levers with the left hand and keeps the gloved arm free to palpate. Once he has the cows set he innoculates with the left hand using his guns. One assistant writes down every number and every innoculation, palpate results etc. Another assistant cuts tags and applies new ones. The assistants cannot keep up with the vet. He works every lever as if it was an attachment of his body. Never looks at them and always has his eyes on the animals. I guess that comes with repetition day after day after day. Kind of like typing on a keyboard.

Using a hydraulic "automatic" unit allows a person to work hundreds of more cows per day. No matter how good any of us are with non-powered units, we cannot compare.

I'd spend that $100 if I were you. One bad situation with a cow will pay for it. Even if you are going to be working 200 plus head in a day with an auto unit, it never hurst to have a back up. For that price you can't go wrong.

dieselbeef":uza2wdde said:
shaz":uza2wdde said:

i would NEVER EVER work cows by myself....that being said i have an auto and its nice to be able to poke em thru it till it gits em...if the others are sorting or somethin

I have worked cows by myself and it works, it's just slower and takes more patience. Sometimes I have no choice but to work cows by myself in an emergency calving situation. A good auto headgate that latches properly is a great help during those times. I have a Formost and recommend it.

While a $100 headgate doesn't sound like much, it might be a diamond in the rough. Most of what goes wrong with headgates is the joints get worn/loose and the connecting rods across the top get bent so the sides don't close at the same rate. A little TLC rebuilding an older $100 headgate might make it perform like a new $700 headgate. I have to keep WD or something handy to make my good headgate work sometimes.

I would take the $100 head gate if I was closer and you did not want it. I have to work cows (small herd) alone alot of times. I have a manual head gate and it works ok 90% of the time. Every now and then I wished I had an automatic with a truoblesome cow.

Dixieangus":76gp205y said:
not wanting to hijack the treat but will an automatic head gate catch little 200lb calves
Not unless they really hit it hard

dun":12mpd6w3 said:
Dixieangus":12mpd6w3 said:
not wanting to hijack the treat but will an automatic head gate catch little 200lb calves

And the real problem is the head gate likely won't hold them if it does catch them. At least I don't know of any adult size cattle headgate that will adjust that narrow. Now the headgate on a Formost calf table is perfect for 200 lb calves.

John SD":1zuunupd said:
dun":1zuunupd said:
Dixieangus":1zuunupd said:

And the real problem is the head gate likely won't hold them if it does catch them. At least I don't know of any adult size cattle headgate that will adjust that narrow. Now the headgate on a Formost calf table is perfect for 200 lb calves.
The Preifert will hold them fine. We use it for castrating/banding calves at a couple of weeks to a month or so old.

Latest posts