Angus steer. Slite cough head down this morning.

Help Support CattleToday:

r2redmules

Reaction score
Good morning

I have this steer. Slite cough but getting worse this morning head down and looked a little wobbly Little mucus on the nose did see him at the water tub yesturday,and eating his grain last night. Is there anything I can or should do to help him along. I did put a call to the vet. Waiting for a return call

Attachments

• IMG_20221111_155601.jpg
    IMG_20221111_155601.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20221111_123038.jpg
    IMG_20221111_123038.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 21
Southern California.

Both steers have the cough. The other steer wasn't doing good for 4-5 days but pulld through.the wobblywalk this morning was the kicker for me.

Thank you

There is an additive you can add to feed that can clear up cough and snotty nose as they call it. I forget the name at one time you could buy freely but now you need vet permission. May want to look into it.

OK update. After speaking with some people that do alot of cattle. We have determined phenomena

Soboth cows were given 5 ml Penicillin

First thing is to take his temperature. My vet's general guideline is 103.8 and up they need treated. Penicillin is not going to do much for pneumonia. You will need a prescription drug like Draxxin, Nuflor, Resflor or others. And a dose of Banamine as well. Pneumonia kills calves fast or if they survive, they can wind up being chronic poor doers. Get your vet out to treat them properly.

OK update. After speaking with some people that do alot of cattle. We have determined phenomena

In case people were wondering why antibiotics like penicillin are going to require a prescription in the future, this can be exhibit A.

As others have said, you need a vet.

buck i must of forgot to leave my credentials for everyone.
retired equine pediatrist. fancy name for horse foot doctor.
also was advised to give the antibiotic. thank you
update vet has given ceftiofur 6ml for his condition for the next five days.
thank you for all the advice to get the vet out...

Following on from the other thread re antibiotic availability, if I was the Vet involved this would be a case of when I would want to see the animal and ascertain what was going on, in spite of what the horse foot doctor says.

Ken

I used to have good luck using Advocin and Exenel together to treat Myco, but Naxel, Exenel, and Excede are just like any other gateway drugs. They just lead to using stronger things later on.

Where's the hay? I would feed grain sparingly; too much may cause problems. Need an endless supply of good hay and clean water. Salt and mineral are a plus. Hope the steers make a quick turn around. Welcome to the forum!

Pneumonia. Your 5ml penicillin likely did nothing but delay proper treatment. That is a tiny amount of penicillin and penicillin isn't even on the list of top choices of abx for pneumonia.