Mandatory mask required.....

Help Support CattleToday:

It's pretty much apples to oranges when one compares a contemporary pandemic to those 50+ and 100+ years ago.

Both of the flu epidemics discussed had one thing in common. We were in real shooting wars. World War1 and in the case of the '68 flu pandemic, we were heavily involved in the cold war, with plans still on the pentagon table to be able to fight 2 wars simultaneously in 2 different theaters of operation (in Europe against the USSR and against China in the Pacific..and of course, by '68 we had over 1/2 million of our own troops in Vietnam. Shutting down would have been very difficult to do and still support those operations.

In 1917, 103 years ago, our population density looked completely different than it does today, so not as much distancing was needed.

By 2010, it looked like this:

Today, it's even more dense. About 94 people per sq mile vs 28 people per sq mile in 1917.

Even so, social distancing isn't new.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/03/how-cities-flattened-curve-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic-coronavirus/

The conclusion from link above:
Dramatic demographic shifts in the past century have made containing a pandemic increasingly hard. The rise of globalization, urbanization, and larger, more densely populated cities can facilitate a virus' spread across a continent in a few hours—while the tools available to respond have remained nearly the same. Now as then, public health interventions are the first line of defense against an epidemic in the absence of a vaccine. These measures include closing schools, shops, and restaurants; placing restrictions on transportation; mandating social distancing, and banning public gatherings. (This is how small groups can save lives during a pandemic.)

Of course, getting citizens to comply with such orders is another story: In 1918, a San Francisco health officer shot three people when one refused to wear a mandatory face mask. In Arizona, police handed out $10 fines for those caught without the protective gear. But eventually, the most drastic and sweeping measures paid off. After implementing a multitude of strict closures and controls on public gatherings, St. Louis, San Francisco, Milwaukee, and Kansas City responded fastest and most effectively: Interventions there were credited with cutting transmission rates by 30 to 50 percent. New York City, which reacted earliest to the crisis with mandatory quarantines and staggered business hours, experienced the lowest death rate on the Eastern seaboard.

In 2007, a study in the Journal of the American Medial Association analyzed health data from the U.S. census that experienced the 1918 pandemic, and charted the death rates of 43 U.S. cities. That same year, two studies published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences sought to understand how responses influenced the disease's spread in different cities. By comparing fatality rates, timing, and public health interventions, they found death rates were around 50 percent lower in cities that implemented preventative measures early on, versus those that did so late or not at all. The most effective efforts had simultaneously closed schools, churches, and theaters, and banned public gatherings. This would allow time for vaccine development (though a flu vaccine was not used until the 1940s) and lessened the strain on health care systems.

The studies reached another important conclusion: That relaxing intervention measures too early could cause an otherwise stabilized city to relapse. St. Louis, for example, was so emboldened by its low death rate that the city lifted restrictions on public gatherings less than two months after the outbreak began. A rash of new cases soon followed. Of the cities that kept interventions in place, none experienced a second wave of high death rates. (See photos that capture a world paused by coronavirus.)

In 1918, the studies found, the key to flattening the curve was social distancing. And that likely remains true a century later, in the current battle against coronavirus. "[T]here is an invaluable treasure trove of useful historical data that has only just begun to be used to inform our actions," Columbia University epidemiologist Stephen S. Morse wrote in an analysis of the data. "The lessons of 1918, if well heeded, might help us to avoid repeating the same history today."

So, some of you can continue to grasp at straws as you see fit, exchanging other people's lives for $$$$$$$$ and even more obvious, hoping the economy recovers enough in time to ensure the incumbent gets re-elected. I believe he will, but in swing states where the death toll has been high, the issue is in doubt. He basically won by a margin of about 107,000 votes in 3 states. Pa, Wisconsin, and Michigan. As it stands now, those 3 states account for over 228,000 covid cases and over 14,000 deaths. I do not look for him to repeat in those states. He will have to make it up elsewhere. A candidate can often overcome a poorly performing economy but dead people linger in the minds of voters. Keep in mind, that many voters voted against HRC in part because they blamed her forthe death of 4 people in Benghazi..what do you think will go thru people's minds when there are 140,000+ deaths, and it is increasing on average of about 1000 per day with about 100 days before election day? Those of you that don't care about the number of deaths, well, the results are going to be on you, as you are supporting re-opening the country and more than likely increasing that daily new death rate even more.. The relatives and loved ones of those dead people vote too.

callmefence said:
It never gets old being right.....lol

If one is right on a regular basis, it looses it's luster, but I'm sure an occasional right is euphoric.

herofan said:
callmefence said:

If one is right on a regular basis, it looses it's luster, but I'm sure an occasional right is euphoric.

Didn't say it didn't lose its luster or that it was euphoric....just said it doesn't get old.
You need help with anything else I'm here for ya friend.

greybeard said:
It's pretty much apples to oranges when one compares a contemporary pandemic to those 50+ and 100+ years ago.

Both of the flu epidemics discussed had one thing in common. We were in real shooting wars. World War1 and in the case of the '68 flu pandemic, we were heavily involved in the cold war, with plans still on the pentagon table to be able to fight 2 wars simultaneously in 2 different theaters of operation (in Europe against the USSR and against China in the Pacific..and of course, by '68 we had over 1/2 million of our own troops in Vietnam. Shutting down would have been very difficult to do and still support those operations.

In 1917, 103 years ago, our population density looked completely different than it does today, so not as much distancing was needed.

By 2010, it looked like this:

Today, it's even more dense. About 94 people per sq mile vs 28 people per sq mile in 1917.

Even so, social distancing isn't new.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/03/how-cities-flattened-curve-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic-coronavirus/

The conclusion from link above:
Dramatic demographic shifts in the past century have made containing a pandemic increasingly hard. The rise of globalization, urbanization, and larger, more densely populated cities can facilitate a virus' spread across a continent in a few hours—while the tools available to respond have remained nearly the same. Now as then, public health interventions are the first line of defense against an epidemic in the absence of a vaccine. These measures include closing schools, shops, and restaurants; placing restrictions on transportation; mandating social distancing, and banning public gatherings. (This is how small groups can save lives during a pandemic.)

Of course, getting citizens to comply with such orders is another story: In 1918, a San Francisco health officer shot three people when one refused to wear a mandatory face mask. In Arizona, police handed out $10 fines for those caught without the protective gear. But eventually, the most drastic and sweeping measures paid off. After implementing a multitude of strict closures and controls on public gatherings, St. Louis, San Francisco, Milwaukee, and Kansas City responded fastest and most effectively: Interventions there were credited with cutting transmission rates by 30 to 50 percent. New York City, which reacted earliest to the crisis with mandatory quarantines and staggered business hours, experienced the lowest death rate on the Eastern seaboard.

In 2007, a study in the Journal of the American Medial Association analyzed health data from the U.S. census that experienced the 1918 pandemic, and charted the death rates of 43 U.S. cities. That same year, two studies published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences sought to understand how responses influenced the disease's spread in different cities. By comparing fatality rates, timing, and public health interventions, they found death rates were around 50 percent lower in cities that implemented preventative measures early on, versus those that did so late or not at all. The most effective efforts had simultaneously closed schools, churches, and theaters, and banned public gatherings. This would allow time for vaccine development (though a flu vaccine was not used until the 1940s) and lessened the strain on health care systems.

The studies reached another important conclusion: That relaxing intervention measures too early could cause an otherwise stabilized city to relapse. St. Louis, for example, was so emboldened by its low death rate that the city lifted restrictions on public gatherings less than two months after the outbreak began. A rash of new cases soon followed. Of the cities that kept interventions in place, none experienced a second wave of high death rates. (See photos that capture a world paused by coronavirus.)

In 1918, the studies found, the key to flattening the curve was social distancing. And that likely remains true a century later, in the current battle against coronavirus. "[T]here is an invaluable treasure trove of useful historical data that has only just begun to be used to inform our actions," Columbia University epidemiologist Stephen S. Morse wrote in an analysis of the data. "The lessons of 1918, if well heeded, might help us to avoid repeating the same history today."

So, some of you can continue to grasp at straws as you see fit, exchanging other people's lives for $$$$$$$$ and even more obvious, hoping the economy recovers enough in time to ensure the incumbent gets re-elected. I believe he will, but in swing states where the death toll has been high, the issue is in doubt. He basically won by a margin of about 107,000 votes in 3 states. Pa, Wisconsin, and Michigan. As it stands now, those 3 states account for over 228,000 covid cases and over 14,000 deaths. I do not look for him to repeat in those states. He will have to make it up elsewhere. A candidate can often overcome a poorly performing economy but dead people linger in the minds of voters. Keep in mind, that many voters voted against HRC in part because they blamed her forthe death of 4 people in Benghazi..what do you think will go thru people's minds when there are 140,000+ deaths, and it is increasing on average of about 1000 per day with about 100 days before election day? Those of you that don't care about the number of deaths, well, the results are going to be on you, as you are supporting re-opening the country and more than likely increasing that daily new death rate even more.. The relatives and loved ones of those dead people vote too.

Hopefully enough have the good sense to realize that one of the candidates is in the early (some say well past early) stages of dementia and even at his best he was never a serious contender for the job. Remember, he's run and lost multiple times before now.

I made that COVID list you used to talk about GB and guess what? Haven't crossed a single name off yet.

callmefence said:
herofan said:
callmefence said:

Didn't say it didn't lose its luster or that it was euphoric....just said it doesn't get old.

Thanks. My first request for help: please interpret your post.

Maybe my rewording threw you. I'll reword my response as sime as possible, and then you can respond d to that:

"If one is right on a regular basis, it gets old, but I'm sure if one is only right occasionally, it never gets old."

herofan said:
callmefence said:
herofan said:

Thanks. My first request for help: please interpret your post.
To clarify my previous post and to offer you my help.

sstterry said:
One thing I learned on this Board a long time ago is that no one is going to change anyone else's mind on any Social Issue. But, take it for what it is worth, two hairdressers in Missouri contracted COVID and continued to do hair after they caught it. They both always wore masks and so did all their customers. Not a single one of their 139 customers caught it.
https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/...sick/507-2928a8f4-4436-4b1a-8bec-5cb42ba061cd

Haase, My prayers are with your father for a speedy and complete recovery.
thank you, with all his problems that he had before this happened, he never left the house and when he did it was just grocery shopping and always wore a mask, he found that he had it from a check up at the VA hospital, his only symptoms were shortness of breath, hes past his quarantine time and is doing well, thanks again.

I made that COVID list you used to talk about GB and guess what? Haven't crossed a single name off yet.

That undoubtedly makes it easier for you doesn't it?
It usually does.
So..they're all still nameless,faceless dead people?

How much $ value did you place on each name?
I'm curious what someone that once bragged of himself as "The Jones' try to keep up with me" thinks another human being's life is worth nowadays.

greybeard said:

It usually does.

I'm curious what someone that once bragged of himself as "The Jones' try to keep up with me" thinks another human being's life is worth nowadays.

No, not nameless, I know a couple of weak souls who have succumbed to the China Virus. One was a 90 year old uncle and the other an extremely overweight 63 year old female.

Were we not told early on that we needed herd immunity to beat this thing? Now we pitch a fit when testing shows that we are well on the way to achieving broad distribution.

Maybe one positive upside to this crisis will be an increased focus on obesity and its consequences, diabetes and hypertension since so many of the victims seem to have these morbidities. The other high risk group, the elderly, need to stay quarantined in secure facilities and they certainly don't need infected patients introduced into their population as happened in NY, NJ, Michigan and elsewhere.

Glad to see you're still with us GB. Grey lives matter!

TennesseeTuxedo said:
greybeard said:

It usually does.

No, not nameless, I know a couple of weak souls who have succumbed to the China Virus. One was a 90 year old uncle and the other an extremely overweight 63 year old female.

Were we not told early on that we needed herd immunity to beat this thing? Now we pitch a fit when testing shows that we are well on the way to achieving broad distribution.

Maybe one positive upside to this crisis will be an increased focus on obesity and its consequences, diabetes and hypertension since so many of the victims seem to have these morbidities. The other high risk group, the elderly, need to stay quarantined in secure facilities and they certainly don't need infected patients introduced into their population as happened in NY, NJ, Michigan and elsewhere.

Maybe a few will learn the value of simply staying at home more. Spending less time and money running to eat, less on daycare, that you don't have to travel and spend time away from home to survive. That is one parent looks after the kids instead of paying someone else to watch and educate them they can survive on one income. Maybe we'll learn we don't need to rush to the er everytime we stump our toe. Maybe we'll learn to be content within our home and hometown. Heck we might even learn we don't need those big sport arenas at the local school. Or the local school to built like a castle.....or the school at all.

callmefence said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
greybeard said:
It usually does.

Maybe a few will learn the value of simply staying at home more. Spending less time and money running to eat, less on daycare, that you don't have to travel and spend time away from home to survive. That is one parent looks after the kids instead of paying someone else to watch and educate them they can survive on one income. Maybe we'll learn we don't need to rush to the er everytime we stump our toe. Maybe we'll learn to be content within our home and hometown. Heck we might even learn we don't need those big sport arenas at the local school. Or the local school to built like a castle.....or the school at all.

I just want us all to come out if this thing with enough rights to decide how to live our lives as we see fit.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
callmefence said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

I just want us all to come out if this thing with enough rights to decide how to live our lives as we see fit.

Agreed..

UPS drivers and I are on a first name basis. I only order from sites that offer free shipping. I ordered a can of cold galvanize this morning I can buy at several local merchants. Stand up or loose my business! A lot of folks feel this way here.

It's always easier to dismiss it and accept "thinning the herd" as long as it isn't affecting one's own family and close friends.

"The president got bored with it," David Carney, an adviser to the Texas governor, Greg Abbott, a Republican, said of the pandemic. He noted that Abbott directs his requests to Pence, with whom he speaks two to three times a week.

hurleyjd said:
"The president got bored with it," David Carney, an adviser to the Texas governor, Greg Abbott, a Republican, said of the pandemic. He noted that Abbott directs his requests to Pence, with whom he speaks two to three times a week.

We're all a little bored with it at this point.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
hurleyjd said:

We're all a little bored with it at this point.

People act like a virus and death are new because the news told them so.

callmefence said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
greybeard said:
It usually does.

Uncle Donald will not endorse your message.

It is not always possible, i.e being born in the big smoke and under your parents care ?

Latest posts