Recent Farm Survey, Mandatory or Not?

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Got the latest and greatest survey in the mail a couple weeks ago, and it keeps taunting me everytime I sit down to eat breakfast. I usually File 13 any gov't surveys, as the fine print says "voluntary", but this one claims to be mandatory. Anyone actually filling it out?

Thanks.

I haven't opened mine yet. My brother's going to bring his over some time and we'll do them together. I got one a couple of years ago and they paid me $25 to fill it out and send it in. It turned out I was underpaid on that job.

It's not mandatory, but I have found that if you DONT turn it back in, they will keep calling or sending notices to remind you to.
Its not that hard to fill out.. as I only give them the info I want them to know, and send it back. No other calls.. dont hear from them again.

Completing the survey is required by federal law. false answers to any question will result in a $500 fine, refusing to answer a question will result in a $100 fine.

Someplace on the paperwork it says completing the form is required by law. I did it although some parts I did not complete like the value of my place and how much did I earn and spend. Told them if they wanted that information look at my taxes.

It is absolutely required by federal law. No doubt about it. Anyone who thinks differently is wrong.

lavacarancher":2h4pm8ns said:
Someplace on the paperwork it says completing the form is required by law. I did it although some parts I did not complete like the value of my place and how much did I earn and spend. Told them if they wanted that information look at my taxes.
They already looked at your taxes that is why you received the ag census, you took an ag exemption of some kind.

Check out my post link from a few days ago. Some of the reasons given to fill it out mAke sense to me. It's not like they don't know who uou are anyway...remember they are the govt and they are here to help us...;)

TennesseeTuxedo":sqv9y23h said:
whatisgmo":sqv9y23h said:
Completing the survey is required by federal law. false answers to any question will result in a $500 fine, refusing to answer a question will result in a $100 fine.

Can you cite your source for this please?
United States Code, Title 7, Chapter 55, Section 2204g

The information provided on the farm survey helps the legislature develop farm bills. I did mine online and it was very quick.

MistyMorning":3r5zxgsp said:
The information provided on the farm survey helps the legislature develop farm bills. I did mine online and it was very quick.
Not the only entities that use the information and likely the producer will be the last to benifit. Yeah, I'm a bit cynical.

Same here 82vette. Lots of agencies will have access to this info--and probably lots of private concerns as well thru FOIA.
And considering congress has drug it's heels on a farm bill for quite some time, and there hasn't been a federal budget passed since 2008, I really doubt they are just waiting for everyone to send these forms in to USDA.

cfpinz":8c0gbmq7 said:
Got the latest and greatest survey in the mail a couple weeks ago, and it keeps taunting me everytime I sit down to eat breakfast. I usually File 13 any gov't surveys, as the fine print says "voluntary", but this one claims to be mandatory. Anyone actually filling it out?

Thanks.
I did mine last night online. It doesn't have to be done until Feb 4th, but if I waited that long I would forget or lose it. Its not as time consuming as you think. At the end it gives you a chance to complain, I complained about the use of their word "mandatory" ~ its so vague.....

greybeard":4h1pvbkv said:
Same here 82vette. Lots of agencies will have access to this info--and probably lots of private concerns as well thru FOIA.
And considering congress has drug it's heels on a farm bill for quite some time, and there hasn't been a federal budget passed since 2008, I really doubt they are just waiting for everyone to send these forms in to USDA.

Another good intention done badly.

Latest posts