Making money on cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Okay I decided not to go :idea: out and buy 100 head of cattle. I assure you if I had that kind of cash I would be buying real estate like everbody else in Fl.
I was just trying to get an idea on the money side of the cattle business and the post was very hypothetical. I do own the land out right so there is no dedt there and I make my income from the construction biz and I am just looking to slow down and raise my family in a better environment than the big lights of Orlando.
And yes I am going to start out real slow since I no nothing about the cattle business just like I knew nothing about the construction biz 30 years ago.

Caustic Burno":26fitdhl said:
Bez I hate to bust the boys bubble, the whistle is blowing but the train is gone on this one. There is no way to start as he is wanting to and make money, you know it as well as I.

i agree totally... shucks it is hard enough to make it with everything paid for..

jt

make money on cattle????
don't go out and buy that new bmw on the premise you will make any money on those critters :) :) :)

plbcattle":3qtux8n0 said:
if you can only make $12,000 on 95 calves you are doing something very wrong

I believe Hans Brinker just pulled his finger out.

Chuck":1lnmpr0j said:
plbcattle":1lnmpr0j said:
Does anyone else smell something burning?

Old discussion that is the national average, most people don't figure what it really takes to operate. Taxes,fuel,equipment,medicine, cost of the original animal and etc. If you put a sharp pencil to it you might cry.

Caustic don't forget about the land cost also.
I am amazed at the money some think they are making.

plbcattle":p6gsl0sb said:

Actually if you count everthing 12,000 is a little high it would be more like 9,500 on the national average.

Bama":3grq3xn1 said:
plbcattle":3grq3xn1 said:

Actually if you count everthing 12,000 is a little high it would be more like 9,500 on the national average.

You are correct grasshopper dang that makes 3 time I was wrong.
Sang to loud in church once
Thought I was wrong when I actually was right.
And now this.

Caustic Burno":1vnba5ya said:
Bama":1vnba5ya said:
plbcattle":1vnba5ya said:

You are correct grasshopper dang that makes 3 time I was wrong.
Sang to loud in church once
Thought I was wrong when I actually was right.
And now this.

3 times in 78 years. I think there may be at least one or 2 more.

most people don't figure what it really takes to operate. Taxes,fuel,equipment,medicine, cost of the original animal and etc. If you put a sharp pencil to it you might cry.

What do you figure most "city folk" make as profit once they account for all those costs? I think you do a diservice to all of those interested in getting back to the farm when you say this. True, odds are you will not become a millionaire, but with proper planning and alot of hard work you won't do so bad. Is this just "city envy"? I know alot of folks who do quite well in farming and ranching and I am hoping to join those ranks in the next few years.

-Greenhorn

what annoys me is when someone pays for one acre of land in the city and takes advantage of someone whos paid for X amount of acres and paid taxes for that and worked his butt off his whole entire life to get and KEEP it and then he doesnt even have the time to enjoy what he has but the said person from the city expects to be able to fish, hunt, eat what this person has produced on a weekly basis. that annoys me. yet again i digress from the subject at hand...

Greenhorn":28880orn said:
most people don't figure what it really takes to operate. Taxes,fuel,equipment,medicine, cost of the original animal and etc. If you put a sharp pencil to it you might cry.

What do you figure most "city folk" make as profit once they account for all those costs? I think you do a diservice to all of those interested in getting back to the farm when you say this. True, odds are you will not become a millionaire, but with proper planning and alot of hard work you won't do so bad. Is this just "city envy"? I know alot of folks who do quite well in farming and ranching and I am hoping to join those ranks in the next few years.

-Greenhorn

You do a diservice lying to yourself, its great you want to get to the country life. It's about reality not fantasy.

Reality is if we did everthing that the studies show, feed companys recommend, medical practices recommended, bought all the new gadgets, called a vet at ever sniffle, planted all the "best" grasses, fertilized to the max, paid top dollar for a herd, and tried everthing new that came out we would have to pay more than we make off cattle. Thats why we are hard pressed to jump on any new bandwagon. We know what works best on our perticular operation. Yea, several of us beat the average $100 dollar profit on each calf but a lot of people make less. Them thar ar tha cold hard facts.

Greenhorn":fkqn8mo7 said:
I know alot of folks who do quite well in farming and ranching

Not tying to discourage you, but you need to come back to real world here. Those folks probably look like they are doing quite well but have you seen the bank notes or any of their other books? Once a year calf crop check in their hand I'm sure pays only a few bills and they never really get to see that $10,000 brick. Trust me.

Greenhorn":fkqn8mo7 said:
I am hoping to join those ranks in the next few years.

That's great. We all wish you luck. It's good to have goals.
Don't forget us here at cattle today after you make your first million. You know, the ones you asked for information and thoughts then shot us down for trying to help.

Good luck, have a nice ride :D But watch that first step.

Latest posts