Making money on cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

dun,
It's the before and after syndrome. It gets into the blood I think. I enjoy it. What else would we do if not that? Gotta keep a challenge going...that makes things interesting.

preston39":2k2xw571 said:
dun,
It's the before and after syndrome. It gets into the blood I think. I enjoy it. What else would we do if not that? Gotta keep a challenge going...that makes things interesting.

I hear that alot!
"What are you going to do when you get this place finished?"(usually delivered in a snotty tone)
That's usually followed by "I know, buy a new place". That's delivered in a resigned voice.
It didn;t even take 40 years of being married for her to catch on.
I keep telling her that this is what keeps me young even if it is making an old man out me.

dun

dun":2xxuedyv said:
icandoit":2xxuedyv said:
dun wrote:

If I can ever get to the point that I quit buying broken down farms and fixing them up I think our profit margin will increase. I must enjoy fixing and improving, as soon as I get a place fixed up so that there isn;t any serious work to getting it whipped into shape I sell and buy another place that needs fixing.

dun

Now that's what I call a glutton for punishment.

Dick

My wife just calls it stupid!

dun

Isn't this the way of the Dung Beetle. Dive into a new place. Raise a family. Make a few improvements and look for the next place. Wait a minute....D-u-n-....Just pulling your leg.

Bret

frenchie":anr62vhl said:
jcissell":anr62vhl said:
Only one of the farmers I am talking about farms 8,000 acres. The rest farm from about 1200 to 3500 acres. They don't own their land either, the lease it. You say if your are gonna be poor atleast don't look like it? Well then to me, if you are able to buy those things and spend that money you aren't poor. If they were truly poor they would be driving a truck that is falling apart, living in a normal house, their kids NOT going to whatever university they want and being in a fraternity/sorority that costs them atleast an extra $2,500 a semester, and blowing buttloads of money. I can honestly say I can't think of any farmers here that don't do that. Maybe one if I thought really hard. .

Do you honestly think they paid cash for everything.Or that they are not in debt up to their butts.They are just keeping up to the Jones.

My ex in-laws are like that. Nicest vehicles, newest equipment, best buildings, great house, etc., etc., etc. Thing is - it's all on paper at the bank. They don't actually own anything free and clear. I would hate to be them. The ex brother-in-law was actually put on a suicide watch a few years back. Too much $ borrowed and markets fallin' apart everywhere. Now me - I don't have much money. I definitely could spend all day, every day working here. Use a lot of other people's "retired stuff" to improve my stuff. Keep pretty good records. Am frugal in my spending. Still I don't have a lot of money. Thing is - I don't owe anyone either. I don't have to give money to the bank when I sell something. Would love to have a ton of money. Would love to wake up and say there's nothing to do on the place today. Heck, I'd be happy with just making enough in cattle to not have to have a job in town! But I can sleep at night just fine with the way things are and that's worth something too.

Just got my new statement today. I built a new barn last year, guess what my taxes went up to reflect it. A lot of folks don't figure in taxes in the total profit picture either.

Farmhand":2z99fcuv said:
Am frugal in my spending. Still I don't have a lot of money.
Just spent the last couple hours dickering with the neighbor over the price of some custom combining. He called me cheap. I had to remind him that he was drinking my beer and if I was as cheap as he says I would be drinking his beer.

:lol: I like to haggle but I don't think I'd like to go up against you. Sounds like you could give me a run for my money! Good job!

Farmhand.... They have all that on paper, but at the end of the harvest they pay for it all. If they make the payment, they are still making the money just like anyone else. Its that they get to make one BIG payment each year, instead of one every month. How is that any different than anyone else in this world? I took out a loan to buy some cows and hay equipment. I won't own it until its paid for and I make one bulk payment a year but does that make the tractor that I own any different than the truck you own and pay a monthly payment for?

no envy and jealousy..... I just don't like hearing people complain about being broke when they live like that. When you live where I do and everyone is a farmer (row crop) and that's all you hear except for the few exceptions, but you see what they spend. It gets old.

Latest posts