Making America great again.

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":1inrlqhj said:
True Grit Farms":1inrlqhj said:
Margonme":1inrlqhj said:
Right on. The way I live. I perform my passions to perfection.

Anxiety: caring too much about your vocation.

Depression: not caring about anything.

I fall in the Anxiety category.

Money is a tool. Having said that. I like to have enough tools to keep the job going. Lol

Money, the more you have the more you want. I'd rather live a simple life and do the job with what I have. I lost all my paper retirement in 2008 and it made me a better person. I guess I'm depressed now, because I don't care about anything. This has been a good run in the market, but if our new POTUS bombs out it could get ugly really quick. You have nothing till you have it in your hand.

Has anyone else noticed that the more you have. The more you worry about losing it
Every day. Doctored 5 calves today wondering what if they didn't make it how that would affect my margins. At the same time made me thankful to have them, knowing there was a time I couldn't afford 5 calves. It's all about perspective.

Addressed to Jogeephus:

Specifics:
1. Guidance:  provided guidance to foster confidence and healthy self-esteem.
2.  Participated in school events that promoted education.  Such as week-end laboratory studies sponsored by Clint's advanced biology high school teacher who took a special interest in Clint.
3.  Constructed a well equipped laboratory in the basement that included a professional oil emersion microscope.
4.  Intelligence- at an early age we got feedback from Clint's teachers that he read at 3 to 4 grades above his level.  He read the book The Hot Zone about the ebola virus when he was in the fourth grade.
5.  I spent time with Clint.  We were buddies.  I treated him as an equal.  He enjoyed information about the world around him.
7.  Discipline - I insisted that learning be a priority.   He was permitted to play with electronic devices.
8.  Responsibility- he was required that personal obligation have to be fullfilled.  Going to bed, getting up, being on time, treating others with respect, etc.
9.  Honesty - the rule was, a lie gets you punishment; a full confession forgives the trespass.
10.  We set a lifestyle example as you say.
11.  Yes, Jo.  I never pushed him in any direction. Which affected my hobbies and passions.  I was an avid hunter.  It did not fit his style.  I shot a porcupine that was eating my trees.  When I came back in the house, he was crying.  He said he watched that porcupine every night and he did not want it killed.  I never shot another one.  I gradually hunted less and less.  Preferring to spend time with Clint.  When he started asking questions about religion, I was honest in confessing that I believe the Universe is a natural phenomenon.  I told him he should read the Bible or any other religious doctrine and decide for himself.  At this moment, I cannot describe exactly what his spiritual beliefs are.  If he told me  he is a Hindu, it would not be my business or concern.
12.  In high school, a family friend who was a medical doctor mentored Clint.  He shadowed the Doctor.  It had a dramatic impact on Clint.  Clint was unsettled by some of the problems small children go through.

Jo, I agree that my first response does sound racist.  That was not my intention.   My intent was to demonstrate that much of what we are is defined by our ancestors.

zirlottkim":183cqrvt said:
What is success? I had a Great Grandfather that lived to be 94. He was an independent commercial fisherman his entire life and thoroughly enjoyed it . He never worked for anyone except his self. His kids made him stop fishing when he was in his mid 80s so he dug in his garden the rest of his life. He never accumulated much wealth but never was indebted to anyone and made his own way his entire life. From what I hear, he had many debts owed to him over the years. He was married to the same woman, my Great Grandmother, and they died a few months apart. They raised a large family and all were good decent people. Most of his sons became fisherman and found the same enjoyment and satisfaction in the work. He died the year I was born so I never knew him. To me, he had very a successful life because he was self reliant and self sufficient. I think many people push their kids into careers for financial or prestigious reasons only. I pity people with Monday to Friday jobs that hate what they are doing and live looking forward to the weekend. I understand that sometimes people have to do jobs they don't like, but find some enjoyment in it. The "satisfaction" of doing a good job and making your own way seems to be lost in todays society. That is what I want to teach my kids no matter where their interests and life takes them.

A life well lived!!!

zirlottkim":14n56i7z said:
What is success? I had a Great Grandfather that lived to be 94. He was an independent commercial fisherman his entire life and thoroughly enjoyed it . He never worked for anyone except his self. His kids made him stop fishing when he was in his mid 80s so he dug in his garden the rest of his life. He never accumulated much wealth but never was indebted to anyone and made his own way his entire life. From what I hear, he had many debts owed to him over the years. He was married to the same woman, my Great Grandmother, and they died a few months apart. They raised a large family and all were good decent people. Most of his sons became fisherman and found the same enjoyment and satisfaction in the work. He died the year I was born so I never knew him. To me, he had very a successful life because he was self reliant and self sufficient. I think many people push their kids into careers for financial or prestigious reasons only. I pity people with Monday to Friday jobs that hate what they are doing and live looking forward to the weekend. I understand that sometimes people have to do jobs they don't like, but find some enjoyment in it. The "satisfaction" of doing a good job and making your own way seems to be lost in todays society. That is what I want to teach my kids no matter where their interests and life takes them.
I would call him a spectacular success.

What I recently learned about welding. The neighbor has been MIG welding as long as I've been stick welding, 50 plus years. A decent stick welder makes a crappy MIG welder and vice versa. It's different enough between the 2 that old habits crop up and make the other harder to do.

Margonme":2iz57sa5 said:
Addressed to Jogeephus:

Specifics:
2.  Participated in school events that promoted education.  Such as week-end laboratory studies sponsored by Clint's advanced biology high school teacher who took a special interest in Clint.
3.  Constructed a well equipped laboratory in the basement that included a professional oil emersion microscope.
4.  Intelligence- at an early age we got feedback from Clint's teachers that he read at 3 to 4 grades above his level.  He read the book The Hot Zone about the ebola virus when he was in the fourth grade.
5.  I spent time with Clint.  We were buddies.  I treated him as an equal.  He enjoyed information about the world around him.
7.  Discipline - I insisted that learning be a priority.   He was permitted to play with electronic devices.
8.  Responsibility- he was required that personal obligation have to be fullfilled.  Going to bed, getting up, being on time, treating others with respect, etc.
9.  Honesty - the rule was, a lie gets you punishment; a full confession forgives the trespass.
11.  Yes, Jo.  I never pushed him in any direction. Which affected my hobbies and passions.  I was an avid hunter.  It did not fit his style.  I shot a porcupine that was eating my trees.  When I came back in the house, he was crying.  He said he watched that porcupine every night and he did not want it killed.  I never shot another one.  I gradually hunted less and less.  Preferring to spend time with Clint.  When he started asking questions about religion, I was honest in confessing that I believe the Universe is a natural phenomenon.  I told him he should read the Bible or any other religious doctrine and decide for himself.  At this moment, I cannot describe exactly what his spiritual beliefs are.  If he told me  he is a Hindu, it would not be my business or concern.
12.  In high school, a family friend who was a medical doctor mentored Clint.  He shadowed the Doctor.  It had a dramatic impact on Clint.  Clint was unsettled by some of the problems small children go through.

Jo, I agree that my first response does sound racist.  That was not my intention.   My intent was to demonstrate that much of what we are is defined by our ancestors.

I knew you weren't trying to make some racist claim that would make Hitler proud just messed with you to get you to be more specific and add clarity. And thanks for taking the time to do so because your list highlights some common denominators I expected to see.

While I don't agree with you on it being genetic, less of course your family tree has no branching, because I think most children are born equal and its the influences and upbringing that sets them apart later in life. Environmental influences if you will and what makes it difficult is realizing each child is different and requires a different hand on the lead rope and this takes dedication and devotion on the part of the parents.

Your thoughtful description has many common denominators I expected to see. The instillation of self confidence which allowed him freedom to take some chances and not fear criticism, your involvement in his schooling, your self confidence to allow him outside the box to learn from others, self sacrifice on the parents part and of course your encouragement both verbally and materialistically and very importantly a love of reading books. In short, you allowed him to be HIM and you didn't relive your life through him but changed your life to center around him. From what I've witnessed, this seems to always be a recipe for a child's success in whatever field they choose and I think if all parents would follow this path then we would all be better off because its the people, not the government, that makes america great. And, BTW, I still think america is great and is full of opportunities if one desires to pursue them.

Just out of curiosity, how many books would you say he read a month?

Jogeephus":190uybbk said:
I knew you weren't trying to make some racist claim that would make Hitler proud just messed with you to get you to be more specific and add clarity. And thanks for taking the time to do so because your list highlights some common denominators I expected to see.

While I don't agree with you on it being genetic, less of course your family tree has no branching, because I think most children are born equal and its the influences and upbringing that sets them apart later in life. Environmental influences if you will and what makes it difficult is realizing each child is different and requires a different hand on the lead rope and this takes dedication and devotion on the part of the parents.

Your thoughtful description has many common denominators I expected to see. The instillation of self confidence which allowed him freedom to take some chances and not fear criticism, your involvement in his schooling, your self confidence to allow him outside the box to learn from others, self sacrifice on the parents part and of course your encouragement both verbally and materialistically and very importantly a love of reading books. In short, you allowed him to be HIM and you didn't relive your life through him but changed your life to center around him. From what I've witnessed, this seems to always be a recipe for a child's success in whatever field they choose and I think if all parents would follow this path then we would all be better off because its the people, not the government, that makes america great. And, BTW, I still think america is great and is full of opportunities if one desires to pursue them.

He read a book every couple days. His favorite was the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Science and science fiction.

I got to mention someone. Fire Sweep's daughter is 14 and reads at least 10 to 12 books a week. She is extremely intelligent. She reminds me of Clint. On my visits to their farm, I enjoy talking with her. She has a precocious ability to grasp philosophical concepts.

That's incredible. Reminds me of a guy I went to school with. He's gone on to do great things.

Children are incredible. I don't think the importance of encouraging children to read can ever be understated.

Jogeephus":11vf59ye said:
That's incredible. Reminds me of a guy I went to school with. He's gone on to do great things.

Children are incredible. I don't think the importance of encouraging children to read can ever be understated.

And how is the bug doing been out of the nest for while.

Jogeephus":kwixa8go said:
Margonme":kwixa8go said:
Addressed to Jogeephus:

Specifics:

Jo some of the IQ is genetic if you are born with a 100 you can study you butt off and raise your number, you might get to 110 or 115 you will never get to 140. The average American IQ today is 90 a hundred years ago it was 110.
The higher population grows the more it drops lot of studies on this.

hurleyjd":3qh2833j said:
Jogeephus":3qh2833j said:

And how is the bug doing been out of the nest for while.

Thanks for asking. So far so good. She can't quite decide what she wants to do yet. It will be something to do with science.

Caustic Burno":3qh2833j said:
Jo some of the IQ is genetic if you are born with a 100 you can study you butt off and raise your number, you might get to 110 or 115 you will never get to 140. The average American IQ today is 90 a hundred years ago it was 110.
The higher population grows the more it drops lot of studies on this.

I don't know about that. I'm sure there are born geniuses but I believe its a combination of things with the primary reason being environmental factors and I suspect the reason IQ's are dropping is the wrong people are doing most of the breeding. Just my opinion.

Caustic Burno":2vjzt7zl said:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/neociceroniantimes.wordpress.com/2016/08/21/why-the-decline-of-americas-average-iq-is-a-cause-for-concern/amp/?client=safari

Good read but I don't know how much stock I can put in that.

Jogeephus stated:

I don't know about that. I'm sure there are born geniuses but I believe its a combination of things with the primary reason being environmental factors and I suspect the reason IQ's are dropping is the wrong people are doing most of the breeding. Just my opinion.

Jo,
Everyone agrees that whether it be a cow or a human, what we are is a function of the interaction of genotype and environment. What is disputed is to what degree the environment influences the genotype. That debate has never been settled.

I have always leaned toward genotype having the most influence.

Let's use Cattle as an example. I have a Grandmaster calf that has excellent docility. He is 2 months old and I can pet him in the pasture. I have haltered him at least a dozen times. I reward him, pet him and treat him very gentle. He responds with even greater docility. Thus, I created an environment which has fostered his docility. I have an Uno Mas Calf born the same time, gone through the same training and is not responding as well. You cannot approach her in the pasture and scratch her tail head. She is by nature more shy and flighty.

Why? Genotype.

Same way with intelligence and that is the point CB made above. You can put a youngster in the best environment possible to foster intellect and they will underperform if they do not have the genotype to provide the fundamental aptitude for learning.

I know a personal example I could cite: two youngsters raised in the same environment. One is extremely intelligent, the other struggles to pass.

Ironically, many of us presume to call ourselves a "Christian" nation. It's interesting to see how the leader of the Christian faith defines "great" relative to what the slogan seems to call us toward.

Latest posts