A great evening

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
We had a pretty good rain again today. Everything got a good soaking. Middle of June and things are still green and growing. It is a nice evening outside. I was standing out in the driveway just looking at the hills which surround me. In awe and wonder of what God created and praising God for allowing me to be here. Then a mosquito flew into my ear. Did satan create mosquitoes? If not they are at least working for him.

We had a pretty good rain again today. Everything got a good soaking. Middle of June and things are still green and growing. It is a nice evening outside. I was standing out in the driveway just looking at the hills which surround me. In awe and wonder of what God created and praising God for allowing me to be here. Then a mosquito flew into my ear. Did satan create mosquitoes? If not they are at least working for him.
Mosquitoes bug me too!

Mosquitoes bug me too!
This time of the year I start every day by changing the irrigation. I pull on my hip boots and liberally apply Deep Woods Off before heading out. They aren't bad this year....yet. The one down side to flood irrigation is creating acres and acres of mosquito breeding ground. I have changed a tarp, turned to get back on the quad and see my black dog sitting on the quad look grey from all the mosquitoes on her. All you can do is hope for a good frost.

After the scorcher last year it is good for nature to have some cooler weather to recuperate, But some weather where a guy can make hay would be nice here
I cut 2 acres yesterday.. just dipping my toe in the water.. there's not a week of decent weather to be seen in the forecast

This time of the year I start every day by changing the irrigation. I pull on my hip boots and liberally apply Deep Woods Off before heading out. They aren't bad this year....yet. The one down side to flood irrigation is creating acres and acres of mosquito breeding ground. I have changed a tarp, turned to get back on the quad and see my black dog sitting on the quad look grey from all the mosquitoes on her. All you can do is hope for a good frost.
There are plans in some areas to eradicate the mosquitoes the same way that the screw worm fly was eradicated.

You got hay done yet? I was supposed to be cut 2 weeks ago and the rain keeps messing me up. I'm really hoping for 2 cuttings this year, but we'll see what happens. This first cutting is going to be pretty monumental, that's for sure. It's nipple height out there on me in most places, and some are up to my chin (I'm 5'10").

You got hay done yet? I was supposed to be cut 2 weeks ago and the rain keeps messing me up. I'm really hoping for 2 cuttings this year, but we'll see what happens. This first cutting is going to be pretty monumental, that's for sure. It's nipple height out there on me in most places, and some are up to my chin (I'm 5'10").
No hay down here yet. All this rain makes me look like a master irrigater/grass grower. It is all pretty much 4 feet +. I did see hay down on the Idaho side of the treasure valley when we went to Jordan Valley.

No hay down here yet. All this rain makes me look like a master irrigater/grass grower. It is all pretty much 4 feet +. I did see hay down on the Idaho side of the treasure valley when we went to Jordan Valley.
We got ours cut on Friday. For grass pasture it's looking really good out there. Not like when we were all alfalfa, but I'm pretty impressed. We'll see how I do when it's baled.

What's it looking like for prices over there? Here it seems to be at least $20/bale, and a lot of guys are doing the 70# bales. I'm pretty unimpressed with it.

All the people and hay I deal with here is with and for ranchers. No little squares. Almost all big squares. The few round bales are made for ranchers to use themself. I have heard from $265 to $400 a ton. That is all alfalfa. I haven't heard any grass hay prices yet.

Latest posts