Makes one Wonder

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
We are in the market now for a new Shorthorn bull. Today, I got a catalog in the mail of a well known breeder who is having a herd dispersal. I was quite interested in the bulls in the catalog. Some of them are pretty good looking. BUT, once I got past the photo's and started looking a little closer I noticed the BW's. And that is as far as I will go. I don't have a big problem with most BW. In fact I am usually more leery of low BW than high BW. But, when I start seeing stuff like 138 lb BW and nothing under 100 lb, well, that is a little higher than I want in my herd. Then when you look a little closer and the rest of the bull calves don't even have a BW listed, or it just says Big, that makes me a little more leery. I will also be paying a lot closer attention to the pedigree's of any other bull I might be interested in, to see if he traces back along the lines of these cattle. This will be one sale that I won't attend, and I can see how this might set other people against the Shorthorn breed of cattle......

Does it give a reason for the dispersal or are we just left to believe the owner is tired of pulling calves? :lol:

cfpinz

cfpinz":3gzvcxe4 said:
Does it give a reason for the dispersal or are we just left to believe the owner is tired of pulling calves? :lol:

cfpinz

Catalog says that the reason they are dispersing is because they are getting older and are retiring.....

it also has to do with feed I know usally up in Canada your feeding them very good to stand the winter so that adds to the birth weight when the calve early spring

We don't feed them that much lol. I'm sure a Shortie breeder will leap to the breeds defence within a post or two and tell us all BW is irrelevant. Those do seem a bit on the heavy side-who knows with those Bw's in that herd they might be getting by but personally I'll skip that experiment with any breed.

vs_cattle":nz2beafa said:
it also has to do with feed I know usally up in Canada your feeding them very good to stand the winter so that adds to the birth weight when the calve early spring

Yeah, well, there is a difference between 90 lbs and 120+ lbs. And, I don't think that feed makes THAT big a difference!!

We get the odd 120 pounder, but I sure wouldn't want to start out with a 120 lb bull.

Northern Rancher":27cr61tp said:
We don't feed them that much lol. I'm sure a Shortie breeder will leap to the breeds defence within a post or two and tell us all BW is irrelevant. Those do seem a bit on the heavy side-who knows with those Bw's in that herd they might be getting by but personally I'll skip that experiment with any breed.

Well, I like the Shorthorn's, but I think I will look a little deeper for a bull that I can use and not sit up nights worrying.... These cattle seem a little to 'extreme' to me.

Birth weights are just one factor in calving ease. Shape of the calf and size of the head and shoulders also affect calving ease. Size of your cows and the condition that your cows are in is a factor as well. I once read an interesting comment on birth weights. The person stated that they would rather have a 120 pound calf shaped like a snake than an 80 pound calf shaped like a cinder block. That being said I personally believe that the size and condition of your cows is a major factor. If you have 1700 pound cows you they can handle bigger calves. We don't like to push the envelope that much. Our cows probably average about 1400 pounds and calves probably average about 90-95 pounds. A small, live calf at birth weighs more in the fall than a big dead calf at birth. Plus calves that are born easily are more likely to be active at birth. We don't have time to play nursemaid to calves. They have to get up and going on their own.

turning grass into beef":xu7ndxl0 said:
Birth weights are just one factor in calving ease. Shape of the calf and size of the head and shoulders also affect calving ease. Size of your cows and the condition that your cows are in is a factor as well. I once read an interesting comment on birth weights. The person stated that they would rather have a 120 pound calf shaped like a snake than an 80 pound calf shaped like a cinder block. That being said I personally believe that the size and condition of your cows is a major factor. If you have 1700 pound cows you they can handle bigger calves. We don't like to push the envelope that much. Our cows probably average about 1400 pounds and calves probably average about 90-95 pounds. A small, live calf at birth weighs more in the fall than a big dead calf at birth. Plus calves that are born easily are more likely to be active at birth. We don't have time to play nursemaid to calves. They have to get up and going on their own.

The shape of the calf is a big factor, but by using BWs that are that high, the shape of the calf becomes even more important. A big head, or just slightly larger shoulders on a calf that size is all it would take to make it an assist or possibly even a c-section. With a smaller BW, you can have a calf that isn't ideally shaped, and it wouldn't be an assist. We have cows that regularly have 115+ lb calves unassisted, and they are not the biggest cows in the herd. How they do it makes you really wonder. But by putting a bull with an excessively high BW in your herd you are risking a lot. The cow that can have a 95 lb calf unassisted may not handle a 115 lb calf.

I am not afraid to use 90 - 100 lb bulls on our 1200 lb cows. Experience tells me that they can handle that without too many problems. But I am not willing to push the envelope much further. And, besides I believe, that usually (not always) the cow having 120 lb calves(unassisted) is a fairly large framed animal. As the biggest reason we want to use Shorthorn is to get the maternal side of things, preferably without increasing our cow size it doesn't make much sense to risk buying a high BW bull when odds are he was out of a pretty big cow.

I often hear from Purebred breeders that we don't have to worry about using those high BW bulls on our smaller cows because the only reason they had the high BW was because they were out of 1700 lb cows. And that when bred to a smaller cow the BW will moderate. Well, if I am planning on keeping replacements out of that bull I am going to increase the size of my cows. So, that is another reason to stay away from those excessively high BW bulls.

Well I asked my wife and she says birthweight does factor in lol.Big birthweight bbulls usually make good growthy feedlot steers-just a thought.

Every rancher knows what his cows weigh-they weigh every one they sell. I just assume the ones at home weigh the same or if anything a bit less.

Northern Rancher":1y5gts21 said:
Well I asked my wife and she says birthweight does factor in lol.Big birthweight bbulls usually make good growthy feedlot steers-just a thought.

They do, and that is why we use the bulls that we use. We could run 70 lb bulls on the cows, highly unlikely we would ever have to worry about one as far as calving difficulties, but they might freeze to death on some of those crispy March nights. If you figure it out, and your cows can handle 95 lb calves, if nothing else, you are getting an extra 25 lbs right off the bat. And usually the bigger calves have a higher ADG too. But on the other hand, I don't want to be using really big BW bulls, cause that is more likely to add to my expenses. Every C-section is $400+. And add in sleepless nights well, it just isn't worth it. Better to run more to the middle of the road.

Why not":15p4x7rz said:
Every cattleman or woman should know what their cows weigh. they also should know what their calves weigh.

Anytime i hear someone use the words ~probably, i think, or i would guess~ when it comes to birth weights it makes me a little leary.

To many epds are put together based on the above words. Then comes the train wrecks at the buyers exspense.

All the people that are worth a hoot when it comes to guessing weights are allready employed at the carnivals and all. :roll:

Well, if you cull cows, you should be able to figure out what your cows weigh. If the culls weigh in around 1100 -1300 lbs you can figure your average cow weight is around 1200 lbs.

But when I agree, probably when it comes to calf BW is like saying you have no idea. Even when you weigh all your calves it is still pretty hard to guess very close. I know I have been proven wrong by the scale enough times, that now, I always want to see an actual off the scale weight.

randiliana":248t4h2q said:
vs_cattle":248t4h2q said:

Yeah, well, there is a difference between 90 lbs and 120+ lbs. And, I don't think that feed makes THAT big a difference!!

We get the odd 120 pounder, but I sure wouldn't want to start out with a 120 lb bull.

Well I know Canadian Cattle can calve any where from 10-25lbs higher then United States Calves due to feed differences. ;-)

Why not":1095p82y said:
reread this
Anytime i hear someone use the words ~probably, i think, or i would guess~ when it comes to birth weights it makes me a little leary.

Again here is whats scary lots of seed stock producers dont even own a pair of scales. I would go so far as to say most dont own scales. Epds are put together concerning birth weights by the these means ~probably, i think, or i would guess ~ GO TO YOUR SEED STOCK PRODUCERS SEE HOW THEY WEIGH CALVES YOU WILL BE AMUSED.

I have been to farms and asked and been told oh we take a pair of bathroom scales out in the field and weigh the calf by holding him and standing on the scales. REAL acurate uneven ground the calf squirmin in their arms. Birth weights are for the most part are a farce.

If you dsagree go see 5 or 6 seedstock producers and look and see. ;-)

We have used a bathroom scale. It works OK, as long as you have something hard to set it on (piece of plywood) and aren't so heavy that you and the calf top out the scale. If you weigh 250 lbs, there aren't too many calves that weigh under 50 lbs. I could do is since there aren't many calves that weigh over 150 lbs, and even if they did, well, I wouldn't be able to lift them ;-) . The other time it doesn't work very well, is when mama cow is a little on the nasty side. Hard to hold her calf when she wants to eat you ;-)

But you are right. Many of the seed stock guys don't use a scale. And guessing when it comes to weights is pretty inaccurate. I know the local guys that do weigh and that I would trust. But there a lot of others (especially some of the really big producers) that I have no faith in. Here, you can rent a scale to weigh your animals. It costs $25/use so there are no excuses for producers not taking WW. But alot still don't do it.

The last liner load of cull cows that we sold weighed 1460 pounds shrunk. They were in a little better condition than our cows usually are because they were dry. We don't take the time to weigh our cowherd every year. That would be a waste of time.

We do not weigh our commercial calves. Calving season is busy enough without the extra work.

We weigh every purebred calf at birth. WE NEVER GUESS ON BIRTHWEIGHTS. I have not taken the time to do a statistical analysis on the birhtweights. I just went by memory. I don't have the calf books in front of me at the moment.

turning grass into beef":lnbw8zhx said:
The last liner load of cull cows that we sold weighed 1460 pounds shrunk. They were in a little better condition than our cows usually are because they were dry. We don't take the time to weigh our cowherd every year. That would be a waste of time.

We do not weigh our commercial calves. Calving season is busy enough without the extra work.

We weigh every purebred calf at birth. WE NEVER GUESS ON BIRTHWEIGHTS. I have not taken the time to do a statistical analysis on the birhtweights. I just went by memory. I don't have the calf books in front of me at the moment.

IF you get load bars mounted underneath your chute, you can collect weights on your cows when you deworm and give the lepto, vibrio booster prebreeding in the spring with NO extra work; though the breed associations (for some reason) prefer weights collected post weaning. IF you wean on the trailer, the stockyard weights you get on your statement are sufficient. Just match the ear tag with lot number and record. Keeper heifers and stockers you generally want to run through the chute for deworming and shots, so if you have ANY kind of scale in your alley collecting weights then aren't too difficult. Birth weights are a different story. It takes a lot of dedication to actually go out in the pickup, catch a day old calf, drive him up to the barn for a quick measurement then drive him back to his freaked out mama.

Thank you for the advice Brandonm2. We do have a scale under our chute at the home place but the cows may not go through that chute system every year. We have 3 other sets of corrals. Even when we deworm in the fall at home we don't catch every cow in the squeeze. We put 7 or 8 cows in the alley, pour on the the dewormer and then let them all go. We do vaccinate in the spring but at that time of year the cows are never around the home place. The mature weight of every cow is really a meaningless statistic (in our opinion). We use that scale under the chute at the home place mainly for weaning weights and yearling weights. For birthweights we do weigh every calf. We have a spring loaded scale attached to an 8 foot steel tube.

Why not wrote
Every cattleman or woman should know what their cows weigh. they also should know what their calves weigh.

I have to admit when I read this I got a little defensive. I apologize for that. I used the word 'probably' in order to be more honest, not less honest. If we want to get really picky about the use of the English language then if someone says 'my cows average 1400 pounds' he is probably being dishonest (probably not on purpose). Unless you weigh every cow and the average is 1400 pounds, that statement is false. If you were to weigh every cow and they were to average 1405 pounds then that statement is false. Thus people use the words 'probably' or 'approximately' or 'about' in order to show that they have not done the statistical analysis.

I also apologize for making you leary about our calf weights. I am sorry that it seems you do not trust seedstock producers to actually weigh their calves at birth. Once again, I used the word 'probably' to be more honest not less. As I stated earlier we weigh our calves but I had not done the statistical analysis. Thank you for bringing this to the forefront of my mind. I rained off and on for most of the day here yesterday so I did something I have never done before. I did analyze our calf birthweights. Here they are:

We weighed calves off 101 head of purebred cows. 5 cows had multiple births of which 9 calves survived. These 9 calves averaged 66.7 pounds. I have not included these in the following information as I feel this would skew the results.

42 mature cows had bull calves totaling 4122 pounds of calf. 4122 pounds / 42 head = 98.1 pound average.
34 mature cows had heifer calves totaling 3114 pounds of calf. 3114 pounds / 34 head = 91.6 pound average.
10 2 year old heifers had bull calves totaling 826 pounds of calf. 826 pounds / 10 = 82.6 pound average.
10 2 year old heifers had heifer calves totaling 808 pounds of calf. 808 pounds / 10 = 80.8 pound average.
4122 + 3144 + 826 + 808 = 8870 pounds.
8870 pounds / 96 head = 92.4 pound average.

The following is for people that appreciate tongue in cheek remarks (please don't take it too seriously):
Oh no! It just hit me. Our calf scale only has marks every 2 pounds. That calf that we marked down as 88 pounds probably weighs 89 pounds. And that one that we marked down as 96 pounds probably weighs 95 pounds. This probably is true for many other calves as well. Our calves might not average 92.4 pounds. They might average 91.9 or 93.1 pounds. What ever will we do? :)

Sorry, I just couldn't resist the tongue in cheek remark. :D

One more final note to everyone. If you are the type of person that thinks of the glass is half empty instead of half full, consider the following story.
Two ranchers (let's call them Mr. Brown and Mr. Gray) lived in separate areas of the country. They decided to sell their ranches and move to Somewheretown U.S.A. They both contacted the same real estate agent and both looked at the same ranch. After the tour of the ranch Mr. Brown asked the agent 'What are the neighbors like around here?' To this the agent replied 'What were your neighbors like around where you came from?' Mr Brown stated that his old neighbors were miserable. They did not keep their fences up, they never lent a hand when a neighbor needed help, etc., etc., etc. The agent then informed Mr. Brown that the neighbors around the new ranch would probably be the same as they were around his old ranch.
When Mr. Gray had finished touring the ranch he asked the same question, 'What are the neighbors like around here?' The agents reply was also the same 'What were your neighbors like around where you came from?' Mr. Brown stated that his old neighbors were fantastic. They kept their fences up, they always lent a hand when a neighbor needed help, etc., etc., etc. The agent then informed Mr. Brown that the neighbors around the new ranch would probably be the same as they were around his old ranch.

Just something to think about.

I thought about this when using a manual instead of digital scale for the first time this morning. We had a calf weight "about" 70 lbs because it's just not as accurate and it harder to read.

Latest posts