lutalyse question

Help Support CattleToday:

jal

Reaction score
here's the question?-8 month charlois heifer was exposed to bull on accident so just to be safe i gave her a shot of lutalyuse. tommorow would be 2 weeks from day of shot the last 3 days shes had alot of creamy discharge and tonight a piece of slime hanging out. how many days does the shot take to work and i guess she was preganant how long does it take for them to clean themselves up. the vet said do nothing untill she starts to stink. she is eating and acting normal thanks for any replys jerry

If you gave the shot within a few days of exposure - shot did NOTHING - have to wait 10-14 days afterwards. If that's the case, than she is showing signs of coming into heat (I find young heifers cycle every 16-18 days) on a normal cycle after being with bull - meaning she's not pregnant.
Don't understand "vet said to wait til she stinks"???? Stinks from what??

her exposure was longer than i explained long enough to have been bred. the shot was for accidental pregancy not for bringing her into heat. i'm assuming she has aborted with the discarge thats occuring the stink would be from infection if it gets to that point. so i was wandering how along does it take to affect for the shot that is. and how along does it usally take for aborting to be finished thanks for your reply

Lutalyse has two purposes:

1) Regression of the CL
2) Smooth muscle contractions

To put that in simpler terms, it means it will abort a pregnancy and/or bring a cow into heat (depending on her preg status).

If it's given within 7 days of the cow being in heat, it does nothing, because there is no CL. Doesn't matter if the cow was or was not bred.

Lutalyse will abort a pregnancy and/or bring a cow into heat within 72 hours of the shot being given.

There should not be any infection, unless you're doing something you shouldn't be doing, like trying to abort a 90+ day calf.

the shot will abort, but she will come in heat again. so keep her away from any bulls.

thanks for the replys she at the most would have been 6 weeks preg i saw her in heat about then just got to busy to seperate, lesson learned the hard way is my style. the vet didnt tell about how many days after in heat for the shot to work properly so learned something there

Latest posts