Overuse of Lutalyse Possible?

Help Support CattleToday:

RustyTub

Reaction score
Background: Cows, heifers, calves and bull run together all year long. Heifer calf is 4 months. No signs of interest from bull YET, but I know it'll happen eventually. I understand a dose of Lutalyse will end an unwanted pregnancy. My question is this, if given a shot every 3 months until I want her bred, and that could be 6 shots, will that eventually affect her ability to breed when I want her to?

Is there no other place to either put the bull, or to at least separate out a couple heifers to grow out to the age you want them to be before breeding?
Once you start the lute and she is cycling, she will be coming into heat as soon as she slips the calf. And I cannot say there is proof, but yes, have had 2 farmers that did lute a couple times that said the cattle started to cycle and seemed to be cystic.... heats off and on every 10 days/2 weeks... and never settled. Not proven fact... but find a place to put the couple heifers separate... or take the bull out.

Is there no other place to either put the bull, or to at least separate out a couple heifers to grow out to the age you want them to be before breeding?
Once you start the lute and she is cycling, she will be coming into heat as soon as she slips the calf. And I cannot say there is proof, but yes, have had 2 farmers that did lute a couple times that said the cattle started to cycle and seemed to be cystic.... heats off and on every 10 days/2 weeks... and never settled. Not proven fact... but find a place to put the couple heifers separate... or take the bull out.
I was afraid of that. I'll figure something out. Just cleared 10 acres of trees that will eventually get sprigged and cross fenced, but that will take a minute. Thanks

Can you just give her 10cc of Dex every 3-4 months? Should make her sluff the calf and not make her cycle like lute.

Also Dex is $7 for 100cc bottle

My biggest concern would be the risk of something left behind as you get out towards the 3 month mark and beyond and cause infections. and every time you use it you are rolling the dice again.
If my memory serves me correct the way dexamethasone works is to induce labour in more advanced pregnancies by actually inducing parturition and needs to be incorporated with a prostaglandin for best effects. As a foetus gets to maturity its cortisol levels increase and become elevated in the cows bloodstream which starts the ball rolling for the parturition process, dexamethasone being like a synthetic cortisone.

Ken

Do you see the cattle every day?

If you do, just monitor her daily, watching for the bull to be following/interested. Wait 30 to 60 days after the first time and do lute/dex. Then figure out what you're going to do. Mine dont USUALLY start cycling until 9 or 10 months old. Two rounds of lute/dex and they're where they need to be.

You could breed her a bit younger than 15 months if you grow her to an acceptable size in time.

I would do something with the bull probably though. That's the simplest route. Give him a cow to hang out with or something.

Latest posts