Low Line Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

lazyg":fcxnetgu said:
robert":fcxnetgu said:
Lowlines, where research goes bad :x

Why??? What is bad about taking anhus back too what they were?
We have cows that range in size from 800 lbs to a few that are 1300 lbs. These are true angus not the mutts that are out there now. No curly calf ., no tiny calf , no genetic problems that plage the angus breed

Lowlines aren't "taking anhus back too what they were." Lowlines were bred into small cattle as a research experiment. Have you had yours tested for AM and NH? Then how do you know they're not carrying the defective gene?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2q0tmxwg said:
If these cows can't raise a calf that's weaning weight is at least 40% of their mama's weight then they're not efficient. And our lowline mamas on average are weaning calves that are at least 40% of their body weight.
What age are you considering your weaning calves? 6 months...
That's not exactly something I would be bragging about. You should be shooting for at least 50%. So, you are saying your 1000# cow weans a 400# calf? Most of our mature cows are weaning at around 50%. We have quite a few first time heifers every year and their calves aren't quite at 50%. I know our hereford cow, who weight 2,000 lbs is not going to wean off a 1,000 lb calf at 6 months old.
So what frame score is your 1300# cows?? How many inches tall if you don't know how to calculate frame scores. Our lowline mama cows are between 40-43 inches tall, so not sure of the relevance of frame score if they weigh 1300 lbs. Personally I'd rather handle a smaller cow than a frame score 7-8, which we also have here.
Lowline is a novelty breed, not a mainstream breed. You just keep thinking that. There are a whole lot of commercial cattlemen who think differently.

Google European Angus and find a link. Find some pics. Those you see in the pics haven't been played with like the ones here in America.

I forgot to remind Frankie that most of the galleries don't showcase the worst of the herds. Those are the best of the bunch. :D