Loose Mineral Feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

C & C Land & Catt":2jwzg3n3 said:
Steve Banks":2jwzg3n3 said:
I've used the ones that are plastic and have a piece of rubber over the top of them for rain protection, you hold them down to the ground with a rod driven thru the holes that are provided. I have never had any problems with them what so ever!!! They sell for around $60.00.
These are the same feeders we use and we are very pleased. No water damage and they are almost indestructable unless you run over it with a brushog

The problem we had with them was not being able to drive anything into the ground to anchor them.
One of the things I like about the hanging barrels is being able to just drive past them and see if they need filling

dun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I end up fishing thoes tubs out of the creek. I tried the ones that hang from a post or tree but the bull plays tether ball with it and they only last a week or so. I havent found a fool proof feeder yet but there are some good ideas, keep 'em comin'
protein lick tubs

certherfbeef":2aegfy05 said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I end up fishing thoes tubs out of the creek. I tried the ones that hang from a post or tree but the bull plays tether ball with it and they only last a week or so. I havent found a fool proof feeder yet but there are some good ideas, keep 'em comin'
protein lick tubs

mine is built out of wood... 4x8 (or less if you desire) with 4-4x4 posts and a top on it that hangs over about 2-3 foot all the way around. the post are buried in the ground about a foot.. i have no problems with it.

the 4x8 area where you pour the minerals out is about 20-24 inches off the ground. it has a band around it to keep the salt, minerals from falling out. the top is high enough that i can walk under it. the boards on top are 2x12's cut down from each end to center to in effect to make an a frame. took a 2x12 and sawed it from about 3" on the end to full width in the middle and basically made an a frame out of it. ( if that makes any sense) put on some lathing boards and screwed tin to it. put a whole sheet of tin all the way over it.. the pitch is of such small amount that the tin would bend all the way over and that prevents having to put a ridge cap on at the peak of the roof.

works great for me.

jt

I'm lazy so I cut and paste from a post I made last summer:

If you want to put more salt or mineral out, there are a thousand ways. Here's one that's cheap and easy-to-make. Get some of those plastic drums that are about 55 gallons, with the lids. Use a chainsaw to cut a wedge-shaped hole in the side, just wide enough for a cow to access. Cut it so that after the drum is stood up the bottom of the hole will be level and the top will angle upward. Stand the drum on end, throw in a sack of redi-mix and some water and stir it up. Place it so that the hole is away from the wind when it rains. It wont blow over and they won't tear it up.

Sometimes they will knock it over from rubbing on it. One of these days I'll try Dun's idea and hang one up. Many ways to skin the cat...

Craig-TX

Latest posts