looking for the right breed

Help Support CattleToday:

I'll take my Braunvieh for calving ease, growth, docility, marbling, etc. and FEED efficiency and make up the difference in price, which I don't suffer from by not being black.

luckefarm":66kre26w said:
alacoman my cattle are not defective if i can make more money at a sale with a black hide that is smart business sense not freeloading
i go to a auto auction to buy a potload of black cadilac's and they run a black lincoln through surely you or i well see the difference.. not saying you have defective cattle but your statement about black hide. is common of how most folk's precive it

spoon":1gdcg34b said:
After lots of searching and reading I've decided to post up anyway. :D I have found a huge amount of valuble info here but nothing that was exactly what I was looking for. I'll try to be short but I'm not good at that. :roll:
I'm looking to start a small hobby farm. I've got about 90 acre of pasture available and a good pond. Looking for a breed that will finish well on grass alone but I'll prolly pick one out to feed a little grain/corn to for our own consumption. I'm interested in raising a registered breed. I'm only looking to raise 5-10 head. While I'd like to be able to sell my excess and make some $$ that is NOT why I am doing this. I'd prefer to raise something out of the ordinary but not exotic. Also I'd like a small to medium breed that is very people friendly, i.e. easy to halter train and not skitish etc. I also don't want to sink my life savings into a small herd. I'll prolly start with 4 or 5 and build up to my 10 maximum. I've looked at Belties, Red Polls, Murray Greys, British Whites, etc. My two most important traits are easy handling and good eating. I want my grandsons to be able to pet them and maybe show them as they get older if they want to. Just looking for suggestions and experiences from others. Thanks.

It sounds to me like what you are looking for is Lowline Cattle. I live in KY & I raise Fullblood Lowlines, as well as, Percentage Lowlines.

1st, you mentioned that you want something that will work on grass alone. Lowlines will do that. My friend in Clarks Hill, IN grass finishes steers & she has had over 80% of her 1/2 blood Lowline steers grade choice on grass!! She typically finishes her 1/2 blood steers at somewhere around 1000 lbs. & they yeild not only quality meat, but it's the perfect amount for the deep freeze. Not many people can handle a 1/2 of a typical 1350-1400 lb. finished steer, but a 1/2 or a 1/4 of a 1000 lber. isn't too much for most with deep freezers. If you visit her place & see her operation, she likely would cook you a sample of her grass finished, 1/2 blood Lowline beef. It's good!! I know many other producers who grass finish Lowlines or who only feed grain the last 45-60 days, with excellent results. I now have 2 producers in IL who buy all the weanling percentage Lowline steers that I can get my hands on & they will pay a premium over the market high for that weight just to get them. It's a win/win deal for both of us.

2nd, you mentioned that you wanted something docile. I started working with a heifer 2 weeks before I took her to a show & she did very well at the show. I had her pretty broke the first day, but I walked her 1/4 mile outside the 2nd day, with little to no problems. By day 3, she would walk anywhere I wanted her to go. 2 days is about the normal breaking time for Lowlines & in only 1 day you can have them pretty broke. Don't believe me... come down for a couple days & I will prove it!

3rd, you mentioned that you wanted a registered breed. Lowlines have 2 registries... Fullblood & Percentage. Fullbloods must be 100% & they must 100% trace back to the Trangie Herd in Australia. Percentage Lowlines are registered as 1/2, 5/8, 3/4 & Purebred (7/8 & higher, but less than 100%). Also, we just formed an Eastern Lowline Angus Association. So we are going to start having several shows in the Eastern US, with a few already planned for KY & TN & percentage Lowlines will be a big part of those shows. Also, you can show percentage Lowlines in AOB or Commercial Classes at Junior Shows.

4th, you mentioned raising something out of the ordinary, but not exotic. Well, 1/2 & 5/8 Lowlines would work perfect for you, IMHO. They are big enough to work in commercial herds, but since they are Lowlines & only a handful of Lowline breeders live in KY, they would certainly be something different. Some may object & say they are just a novelty... I disagree!! Kit Pharo is marketing semen on 2 Lowline bulls to commercial ranchers. 1 of them was his highest seller last year (including Angus (a lot of Olhde genetics), Red Angus, Hereford, Tarentaise & Composite bulls. He has a new Lowline bull in his lineup this year & don't be suprised if he's not this years highest seller. Plus, my friends & I just sold 6 percentage Lowline bulls to a WaKeeny, KS commercial producer who has 500 head of commercial heifers. He already has some percentage Lowline bulls & loves them. And, in the last 2 weeks, I've had inquiries from commercial producers as far away as Arizona & as close as central KY, looking for Lowline & percentage Lowline bulls/semen. Furthermore, I sold a 1/2 Lowline steer at a KY Certified Sale, 2 years ago, just to see how he would sell. He was 11 months old, weighed 749 lbs., had only been on feed 45 days (soy bean hulls), & it sold for $1.095 per lb. Tell me that calf didn't make $$!! 1/2 bloods are usually around frame 4 cattle (about 48 inch tall cows), but they can go as high as 5 frame or they can be smaller framed. I've even seen a 1/2 blood, frame 4 cow, that weighed 1300+ lbs. So the 1/2 bloods are certainly not a novelty!! Anyone who says otherwise, hasn't seen a typical 1/2 blood or is simply way too biased. With the Lowlines you will end up with a small or moderate framed cow, and they can be as small or as big as you want them to be.

You did mention later on in this thread that you would prefer not to go with Black Angus. Well, these are not "todays" Angus at all!! These are 100% Angus, but they are certainly different. Also, just like the bigger Angus, there are a few red fullblood Lowlines & several black fullbloods carry the red and/or the wild gene. Furthermore, since the percentage Lowlines are basically crossed with something else, the color combination will only be limited to the cattle that you breed them to. I've seen black, red, dun, grey, white, brown, belted, white faced, speckled, spotted, skunk tailed, roans, blue roans, panda like markings (white face with a belt)... you name it, I've probably seen it. So, you can have registered percentage Lowline cattle from a HOT breed and have them just about anyway you want them. I've seen them crossed on Herefords, Murray Grey, Tarentiase, South Poll, British Whites, Bue Lingo, Belted Galloways, Scotch Highland, Red Angus, Angus, Shorthorn, Gelbvieh, Charolais, White Parks, Galloways, etc., etc. So, if you look hard enough, you will likely find exactly what you are looking for.

Honestly, I think that percentage Lowlines is exactly what you are looking for. Maybe the best bet, is to pick another breed, buy some heifers & then either buy a Lowline bull and/or AI to a Lowline bull. Then register the calves as 1/2 blood Lowlines. Also, good REGISTERED, percentage blood Lowline heifers can be purchased in the $1,000 - $2,000 range. Some for a little less & some for a little more. Some of the top end show heifers will get pretty "pricey", but you can find some really good ones for under $2,000 if you look hard enough.

If you have any questions or would like to see some, send me an email... [email protected]

1 more thing... my friend in Clarks Hill, IN has a 3/4 blood Lowline heifer calf. The first time it was ever shown (in Denver), a 6 year old girl, who had never shown before, wanted to show a calf & her parents asked to see if anyone would let her show a heifer calf in the JR show. JR members don't have to be the owners. Well, she ended up showing that 3/4 blood calf & won Res. Division Champ in the percentage division of the JR Show! Not bad for her 1st time & the heifers 1st time. If you would like, I can try to get a picture of the 6 year old girl & the calf & send them to you.

BTW, the same heifer was recently named Res. Division Percentage Champion Lowline at the Houston Stock Show, but an adult was showing it this time.

These Lowlines & percentage Lowlines would be perfect for your youngsters to show & we are planning several shows for youngsters like them in Eastern US!!

I get the impression you like your Lowlines shortstuff. :D I appreciate all the info but I'll pass on the Lowlines. They just look like a short Angus to me. Actually I believe I've finally decicided on what I'm gonna go with. Just got to get my facilities built and fences mended before I change my mind.

spoon":10y0a4he said:
I get the impression you like your Lowlines shortstuff. :D I appreciate all the info but I'll pass on the Lowlines. They just look like a short Angus to me. Actually I believe I've finally decicided on what I'm gonna go with. Just got to get my facilities built and fences mended before I change my mind.

Yes, I really do like them. :D

Not a problem. And you are correct, the Fullblood Lowlines do look like short Angus. However, the Percentage Lowlines are what I figured you would be interested in & they all don't look like Angus. I saw a blue roan Lowline X Shorthorn win Grand Champion Percentage Female at Houston. She looked just like a really nice Shorthorn Plus & actually can be dual registered as a Shorthorn Plus or a Percentage Lowline. I also have a 1/2 blood Lowline bull that a few clubby breeders have compared to a shorter, deeper version of Irish Whiskey (an extremely popular Maine Anjou bull) & he was the Grand Champion Percentage Lowline Bull at Kansas City. I've also seen Lowline X British Whites that look just like a smaller version of the bigger British Whites & Tarentaise X Lowline crosses that look just like a smaller version of that cross, etc. I really think that you would like the Percentage Lowline deal, if you did some more research on the percentage Lowline cattle, which are TOTALLY different than the Fullbloods.

BTW, if we have a show at the NAILE in Louisville this fall, stop by & check the percentage cattle out. I think that you will be very suprised at how little some of them resemble small Angus cattle. I also think that you will be very suprised at how big they really are, especially the percentage bloods, but even some of the Fullbloods. Despite being small, most Lowlines are not MINI cattle.

Anyway, best wishes with your endeavor! But, if you ever change your mind, I still think that Percentage Lowlines are exactly what you are looking for. ;-)

I agree I think that the MURRAY GREY would be the ideal choice for you.....we have had a few murray greys over the years and they where rather calm....

I worked on a place on the Kentucky Tennessee border by Kentucky lake and we ran Beefmaster up there, that is also what I run down here in South Texas, they fit everything you mentioned and they are alot easier to look at than alot of other breeds suggested.They will be larger framed generally but you can find smaller ones if you really wanted. From what we see animal maintenance in feed/pasture compared to frame size is just a theory, Little cows might not eat as much as Brahman influenced animals at one sitting, but they eat all day hoofing up pasture continuously while my Beefmasters who eat 2-3 hours in the morning and again in the evening are resting. Keep in mind, You don't have to be registered to be purebred whatever you choose.

TexasSimmentals":20pv8lau said:
I agree I think that the MURRAY GREY would be the ideal choice for you.....we have had a few murray greys over the years and they where rather calm....
TS, I have as of yet made a purchase and the Murray Greys are still on my list so you never know. I appreciate your input!

TEhayandcattle":2xkg09r8 said:
I worked on a place on the Kentucky Tennessee border by Kentucky lake and we ran Beefmaster up there, that is also what I run down here in South Texas, they fit everything you mentioned and they are alot easier to look at than alot of other breeds suggested.They will be larger framed generally but you can find smaller ones if you really wanted. From what we see animal maintenance in feed/pasture compared to frame size is just a theory, Little cows might not eat as much as Brahman influenced animals at one sitting, but they eat all day hoofing up pasture continuously while my Beefmasters who eat 2-3 hours in the morning and again in the evening are resting. Keep in mind, You don't have to be registered to be purebred whatever you choose.
TEhayandcattle in all honesty the size of Beefmasters is about the only thing I don't care for. They are beautiful and everyone that raises them seems to love them. My wife would really rather me stay with something she can at least see over the top of though. :D Until I can convince her different they will have to stay on the back burner for now. We're gonna go to a Pinzgauer sale in a couple of weeks and see what she thinks about them. They may be too big for her as well, who knows. :lol2:

I'm gonna toss my little bit in here and say you should be looking at Welsh, Galloway, or Shorthorns if you want good eating meat. The Welsh and Galloways tend to grade better and can lay white fat down on grass alone. However, the Shorthorns are generally a little easier handling at calving time.

Rod

spoon":2afgve8t said:
After lots of searching and reading I've decided to post up anyway. :D I have found a huge amount of valuble info here but nothing that was exactly what I was looking for. I'll try to be short but I'm not good at that. :roll:
I'm looking to start a small hobby farm. I've got about 90 acre of pasture available and a good pond. Looking for a breed that will finish well on grass alone but I'll prolly pick one out to feed a little grain/corn to for our own consumption. I'm interested in raising a registered breed. I'm only looking to raise 5-10 head. While I'd like to be able to sell my excess and make some $$ that is NOT why I am doing this. I'd prefer to raise something out of the ordinary but not exotic. Also I'd like a small to medium breed that is very people friendly, i.e. easy to halter train and not skitish etc. I also don't want to sink my life savings into a small herd. I'll prolly start with 4 or 5 and build up to my 10 maximum. I've looked at Belties, Red Polls, Murray Greys, British Whites, etc. My two most important traits are easy handling and good eating. I want my grandsons to be able to pet them and maybe show them as they get older if they want to. Just looking for suggestions and experiences from others. Thanks.

Spoon, I am surprised you have not found anything fitting in your list of breeds. Would you care to elaborate on what you found when looking so far - likes and dislikes ?

DiamondSCattleCo":2qdndbs0 said:
I'm gonna toss my little bit in here and say you should be looking at Welsh, Galloway, or Shorthorns if you want good eating meat. The Welsh and Galloways tend to grade better and can lay white fat down on grass alone. However, the Shorthorns are generally a little easier handling at calving time.

Rod

Don't know a lot about Welsh admittedly so nothing to say there except I need to look into them more. I really like the Belted Galloway but have not had any dealings with the solid black ones. I guess they are basically the same except for color? Shorthorns are a little bigger than I am really looking for.

Spoon, I am surprised you have not found anything fitting in your list of breeds. Would you care to elaborate on what you found when looking so far - likes and dislikes ?[/quote]

The main problem is that I like almost all that I have looked into in depth and can't make up my mind. If I was going to buy some tomorrow I would prolly get some Peidmontese. That said, I'm going to a Pinz sale this weekend and may change my mind. I've even thought of just getting some mutt commercial girls and using different breeds of bulls just to see what I get. :help:

spoon":1ka5y0g5 said:
Spoon, I am surprised you have not found anything fitting in your list of breeds. Would you care to elaborate on what you found when looking so far - likes and dislikes ?

The main problem is that I like almost all that I have looked into in depth and can't make up my mind. If I was going to buy some tomorrow I would prolly get some Peidmontese. That said, I'm going to a Pinz sale this weekend and may change my mind. I've even thought of just getting some mutt commercial girls and using different breeds of bulls just to see what I get. :help:[/quote]

Why did you decide against Red Polls? According to what you are looking for they are the perfect fit.
They are very easy handling and docile so your grand kids could show them without a problem. My granddaughter has been showing since she was seven. They are medium framed and do very well on grass. As far as eating they are one of top tender beef breeds.

Just curious what you don't like about them.

Jovid":3hg0qqec said:
spoon":3hg0qqec said:

The main problem is that I like almost all that I have looked into in depth and can't make up my mind. If I was going to buy some tomorrow I would prolly get some Peidmontese. That said, I'm going to a Pinz sale this weekend and may change my mind. I've even thought of just getting some mutt commercial girls and using different breeds of bulls just to see what I get. :help:

Why did you decide against Red Polls? According to what you are looking for they are the perfect fit.
They are very easy handling and docile so your grand kids could show them without a problem. My granddaughter has been showing since she was seven. They are medium framed and do very well on grass. As far as eating they are one of top tender beef breeds.

Just curious what you don't like about them.[/quote]

I have learned that there are a lot of breeds out there that would most likely fit my needs. I just haven't had time to check into all of them. I want something that to me is pleasing to the eye in the pasture. To me anyway. I seem to be drawn to animals that aren't a solid color. Pieds, Pinzs, British Whites, etc. I like two toned cars and trucks too. :D

spoon":1cwfxfed said:
I have learned that there are a lot of breeds out there that would most likely fit my needs. I just haven't had time to check into all of them. I want something that to me is pleasing to the eye in the pasture. To me anyway. I seem to be drawn to animals that aren't a solid color. Pieds, Pinzs, British Whites, etc. I like two toned cars and trucks too. :D

Well Spoon, you could always Pinstripe the solid ones - lots of flashy colors to go with Red or Black. :D

Latest posts