looking for the right breed

Help Support CattleToday:

You are correct there. That is where this bull came from. The gentleman today gave me the same advice. I intend to give them a call and talk to them. Thanks.

That was a joke, Spoon. :lol: We can all make suggestions, and most of us are going to suggest the cattle we raise, because we like them. Except me, that particular calf isn't what we raise and isn't even for sale at this point. Was an orphan I picked up cheap that decided she was gonna make a pet out of herself. She's doing a fair job.
You'll find your niche, and you'll know when you do. Best of luck to you on that.

hi.im new to raising cattle...have been around angus all my life.......but have to tell you how much i have enjoyed my dexter heifers....they are so calm sweet easy to train and easy to raise..consider this breed before you get into anything else...im thankful idid alot of reading and learning and watching before i started..the american dexter cattle assoc. and the purebred dexter cattle assoc.have tons of info........let me know if i can answer any questions....porchpickles

Hey porchpickles, thanks for the input. I did some reading on them myself. Dexters are neat little cows and if they weren't black I would prolly consider them. Now there is nothing wrong with black cows except that I am sick of looking at them. That's about all you see in the pastures around here because the black hide brings more money. I want to look at something else in my fields. Like many others I'm only planinng on doing it for a hobby and on a very small scale. More of a tax write off than a taxable income. :D

dexters do come in other colors RED,DUN as well as the tradtional black .the only problems I have with them are slow growth,size and where to market them.

Herefords. If you really want something the size of a Dexter, there are miniature Herefords, which are typically pretty stout looking little animals.

Gelbray - Originally a cross between Gelbvieh, Red Angus, and Brahman
You get the best traits from these breeds.
  • Fertility -- Gelbvieh & Red Angus
    Early Puberty -- Gelbvieh
    Calving Ease -- Brahman
    Milk Production & Mothering Ability -- Gelbvieh, Red Angus & Brahman
    Efficiency -- Gelbvieh, Red Angus & Brahman
    Beef Production/ Cutability & Quality -- Gelbvieh & Red Angus
    Uniform Type & Color -- Gelbvieh & Red Angus
    Adaptability/Survivability -- Brahman

We have a mixed herd of cattle. Our children scrambled at our County Fair and the HLSR. They chose Braunvieh heifers after their sister told them about her MIL and a friend of hers who raise pure and crossbreds. These people live in the heart of feedlot land. The crosses sell well and get top market price.
We are very pleased with the breed. The cattle are gentle, easy to halter break and gentle. Our son's cow is in my avatar. Our daughter brought a heifer at the 2008 National Braunvieh sale. Her heifer came from a breeder in Ky. We are very pleased with her heifer too.

You didn't mention how much money you plan to spend on your starter herd. Some breeds will cost more than others. If you can, try to find someone knowledgeable who can help you choose good cows.

Good luck.

I think you are right to stay away from black hided cattle if you aren't worried about being docked at the sale barn.

Black hide is a detriment to the animal in a good part of the country. Last summer I had a herd off limousin cows, half were golden red and half were black. When is was in the heat of the summer you could see the black cows heaving in the heat while the golden ones were not. I've seen studies that saw hide color makes as much as 15 degrees difference. I've also had a vet tell me he was able to measure a 30 degree difference due to hide color.

If you could make you cattle 15 degrees cooler in the summer dont you think they would perform better?

Busterz":1c6lrtpc said:
I think you are right to stay away from black hided cattle
  • >>>if you aren't worried about being docked at the sale barn. <<
Black hide is a detriment to the animal in a good part of the country. Last summer I had a herd off limousin cows, half were golden red and half were black. When is was in the heat of the summer you could see the black cows heaving in the heat while the golden ones were not. I've seen studies that saw hide color makes as much as 15 degrees difference. I've also had a vet tell me he was able to measure a 30 degree difference due to hide color.

If you could make you cattle 15 degrees cooler in the summer dont you think they would perform better?
cant imagine anyone not being worried about taking a dock on their cattle.. means your cattle are inferior..atleast to the buyer's,say the guy next to you is getting 10-20 cents more a head on his cattle. you got the same time/labor expense in yours.before long those cattle that look so good on pasture . look more like freeloaders

Busterz":36quny3a said:
I think you are right to stay away from black hided cattle if you aren't worried about being docked at the sale barn.

Can only speak for my neck of the woods but down here anything black bring more money. And it will bring a bit more money is it has a little "ear" on it. Heat doesn't bother them at all.

having a black hided heat resistant animal is kinda like having a black ice chest. Its supposed to keep things cool but you attract even more heat by making it black.

ALACOWMAN":217pper4 said:
Busterz":217pper4 said:

cant imagine anyone not being worried about taking a dock on their cattle.. means your cattle are inferior..atleast to the buyer's,say the guy next to you is getting 10-20 cents more a head on his cattle. you got the same time/labor expense in yours.before long those cattle that look so good on pasture . look more like freeloaders

In a commercial operation I would agree with you ALACOWMAN.

whatsupdoc3":1pto19zq said:
ALACOWMAN":1pto19zq said:
Busterz":1pto19zq said:

Doc...I got a semen tank full of exceptional black heifers and bulls and some out of this world black cows just waiting to be inseminated every year. Maybe in your area color doesn't matter, but I can carry one of my pair to the sale today and get $1600 easy. Bet the same exact cow and calf dressed in "red" won't bring $1200. Same for the calves sold alone. But..if red or yellow works in your area that's wonderful. That's what I would be running. ;-)

So a nan sells 50 head and nets between 5 to 10 dollars total big deal. 10 cents a head times 50 calves is 5 bucks if its 20 cents a head it 10 bucks. wow man would spend more than that in gas trying to find an exceptional black bull. :nod:

you'r missing the point wsupdoc.10 cents a pound my fault.. black hide or no a ..dock is a dock.. and spoon in a commercial operation or no it all goes back to seedstock somewhere .

Give dexters a thought they are small easy going cattle with the all important black hide everybody talks about. they make excellent freezer beef in that they are smaller and perfectly marbled with awesome flavor. the only draw back is that they have horns but i had good luck using a angus bull to poll the calves.

luckefarm":2bl5h9u5 said:
Give dexters a thought they are small easy going cattle
  • >> with the all important black hide everybody talks about.<<<
they make excellent freezer beef in that they are smaller and perfectly marbled with awesome flavor. the only draw back is that they have horns but i had good luck using a angus bull to poll the calves.
boy that black hide must hide alot of defects.