looking for the right breed

Help Support CattleToday:

spoon

Reaction score
After lots of searching and reading I've decided to post up anyway. :D I have found a huge amount of valuble info here but nothing that was exactly what I was looking for. I'll try to be short but I'm not good at that. :roll:
I'm looking to start a small hobby farm. I've got about 90 acre of pasture available and a good pond. Looking for a breed that will finish well on grass alone but I'll prolly pick one out to feed a little grain/corn to for our own consumption. I'm interested in raising a registered breed. I'm only looking to raise 5-10 head. While I'd like to be able to sell my excess and make some $$ that is NOT why I am doing this. I'd prefer to raise something out of the ordinary but not exotic. Also I'd like a small to medium breed that is very people friendly, i.e. easy to halter train and not skitish etc. I also don't want to sink my life savings into a small herd. I'll prolly start with 4 or 5 and build up to my 10 maximum. I've looked at Belties, Red Polls, Murray Greys, British Whites, etc. My two most important traits are easy handling and good eating. I want my grandsons to be able to pet them and maybe show them as they get older if they want to. Just looking for suggestions and experiences from others. Thanks.

Nothing will beat a hereford for temperament. Look into smaller framed thick herefords.

My second choice would be Murray Grey, do a search for OK Jeanne's posts and look at the photos she has posted. Her cattle's phenotype is perfect for what you want to do.

I have heard from people who raise galloways that they can be a little aggressive after calving, but don't have any personal experience with them.

Not sure I can tell you the best breed for you. My suggestion is you stay away from being a purebred breeder, because it sounds as if you just want a few to look at and produce a few freezer calves for yourself and local customers.

If you are looking for gentle dispositions from my experience Herefords, and shorthorn are two of the most docile breeds. If you are looking for something different Senepol. the ones I have been around are very gentle, and heat tolerant; but generally lack muscle.

those out of the ordinary will take a beating at the stockyard. best to stick with something docile and make a little money to pay for your efforts

I second (or third) the Murray Grey's. Mine are VERY easy to handle. However, in the spirit of full disclosure, I don't have much experience with other breeds that could be fine. I did a lot of research, went to see different breeds and in the end MG was right for me.

NHF

Herd.jpg

Well of course I'm going to say Beefmaster (how can you go wrong with a hereford/shorthorn/brahma mix)... they grow well, great fertility, wonderful disposition (it's one of the 6 essentials of our breed, etc. etc.

That being said - I have no experience in your neck of the woods to know what would sell better vs. be discounted at the sale... I would recommend you go to a few sales in your area, meet some folks and walk a few ranches nearby you before you decide.

Good luck.

We have registered Texas Longhorns. Very docile despite their appearance and you're probably close enough to Texas that you could easily get to some of the shows.

I have a neighbor that used to have longhorns. He's sold those and gotten some Dexters because he wanted a dual purpose meat/milk cow. He just got them, so I'm not sure how that's working out for him.

Buy some 1000-1200 hereford or red crosses (in ky you will pay less upfront) find a good AI guy and timed breed em to a angus bull like 878, if they are alittle small framed and beyond their second calf go with some Black Simmie.
You will make a killing with those baldies at the barn, they will eat and finish great. An those herf cows will be easy to handle.
For the most part.... :roll:

Good luck whatever you do.

cutter":h8il1b8w said:
I think you should take a long hard look at Braunvieh. You'll find they hit the targets you are looking for.

i would agree, docile, easy fleshing, excellent carcass animals. additionally, the braunvieh association has a really good juniors association that provides a lot of good experience for kids showing calves. not as many braunvieh out there as a lot of other breeds, but that gives kids a chance to do better at the shows with less competition.

ROB

ROB":2nafriwa said:
cutter":2nafriwa said:
I think you should take a long hard look at Braunvieh. You'll find they hit the targets you are looking for.

i would agree, docile, easy fleshing, excellent carcass animals. additionally, the braunvieh association has a really good juniors association that provides a lot of good experience for kids showing calves. not as many braunvieh out there as a lot of other breeds, but that gives kids a chance to do better at the shows with less competition.

ROB
And take a beating at the salebarn

You can pick just about any breed you like if you're only going to have a few head. However, you better see every animal and know it's individual temperament before you take it home. There are bad eggs in every breed, but most will be like pets if you look at them every day. You don't have to feed just to maintain, but feed them a little bit of something just to keep them friendly and docile. Personally, I have mixed cows. 98.44% are charolais/angus cross in no certain percentages. They look alot like Murray Greys. This years calves were out of an angus bull. 205 day weight on steers averaged around 600 with heifers hitting around 525. I have just purchased a young bull from Beckley Herefords in Ravenna, Kentucky. We'll see how his calves do. My cows are like dogs and might hurt you trying to play with you, but not on purpose.

dun":3ux2a7ak said:
ROB":3ux2a7ak said:
cutter":3ux2a7ak said:

ROB
And take a beating at the salebarn

dun- i don't remember reading anything in the original post about selling at a salebarn. besides that, selling top market cattle at the salebarn doesn't ensure that your making the most profit possible. i don't sell at the barn and make a heck of a lot more money off my braunvieh's than others selling top market cattle at the sale. by the way - your red cattle wouldn't sell too good at my local market ;-)

i cant imagine anyone just starting out not looking too the local salebarn as ONE source of marketing . even if they buy good quaility stock>>> which i suggest<< if nothing else for their cull's and they gonna be some.

ALACOWMAN":30b65njx said:
i cant imagine anyone just starting out not looking too the local salebarn as ONE source of marketing . even if they buy good quaility stock>>> which i suggest<< if nothing else for their cull's and they gonna be some.

i can't imagine anyone starting out thinking that the salebarn is their only source of marketing.

ROB

ROB":28eih763 said:
ALACOWMAN":28eih763 said:

i can't imagine anyone starting out thinking that the salebarn is their only source of marketing.

ROB

Many newbies don;t have the experience or confidence to look into other marketing methods.
Most years we don;t sell anything at the salebarn, this year we had 3 now 2 that just aren;t growing up to the standards of the other calves. Nice enough calves just not close enough (2 months younger) to be included. They'll probably end up at the salebarn in one of the vlaue added sales.

ROB":3g1gj99t said:
ALACOWMAN":3g1gj99t said:

ROB
did you notice how i put emphasis on >ONE< source.. not the only

Latest posts