Looking for a 100+hp tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

Tillage is a joke. Spend that money on something with some return. We run a semi large row crop operation, I'm the young and eager one. My relatives are very old school and after 3 years of them seeing my yields, soil improvement, and Expense reduction guess who is going to cover crop and start no-tilling this year.

No tilling is great sometimes but there is still a place for tillage.

For instance I bought a farm that was last in silage corn and chopped off in december with a D6 cat pulling the tractor/chopped. Ruts are 3 foot deep, no amount of cover cropping and no-tilling is going to get that back to workable ground in my lifetime. Or cases where in the cold north the only way to have warm enough soil to plant into requires some tillage.

Tillage, no-til, strip tilling, cover crops, deep ripping, yada yada are all practices that have their time and place around the country. What works for one guy may not work 50 miles away.

Corn silage is an evil thing when you have a wet fall, and generates alot of the need for tillage here. Seems like every fall is wet lately...
Strip till looks really good, but small operators are reluctant to spend $ to switch.
I have put alot into no till, but it does not work well with some hoof capped soils.
Not much for Fords here. Look at a 1175 JI Case if there are some around. I bought a second one so the wife has her own. :nod:

Latest posts