Looking at flat bed trailers which ones are the best for the $$

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":2icbcz4h said:
cfpinz":2icbcz4h said:
jedstivers":2icbcz4h said:
I have a Big Tex. It's a POS.

What don't you like about the Big Tex? I see some of them around here but never looked at them close.

I don't know about Jed's Big Tex, but mine is just built to light in the dove tail and ramps. I have both bent up a little already, and I've been trying to be easy with it. I wish it was a 30x5 though, a tractor and baler won't fit together.
To light weight. Already replaced one axle, now it needs springs one one side. It's a 10 ton but I can't haul my backhoe on it. It's right at 10 tons and any trailer that can't haul more then it's rated weight isn't much of a trailer. Paint is sorry, lights don't stay in, wires aren't protected.
Few more little things.

Powder coating when properly done is a superior product over the typical spray job, but with any coating the key is preparation and application. Usually when a coating of any type doesn't adhere correctly, the problem is either a contaminated surface (like oil on tubing) or the weather conditions are bad (humidity to high). Many trailer manufacturers that spray don't get a good coating on the bottom of the trailer and that is where it needs it the most. Powder coating when done correctly gives and even coat over every bit of exposed surface and gets paint into every nook and cranny.

I have a Kearney trailer (27 +5) that was powder coated and has held up very well. Looks as good now as when I bought it 7 years ago. Now the boards they put on them are junk but thats another story.

bird dog":18ijfyq6 said:
Powder coating when properly done is a superior product over the typical spray job, but with any coating the key is preparation and application. Usually when a coating of any type doesn't adhere correctly, the problem is either a contaminated surface (like oil on tubing) or the weather conditions are bad (humidity to high). Many trailer manufacturers that spray don't get a good coating on the bottom of the trailer and that is where it needs it the most. Powder coating when done correctly gives and even coat over every bit of exposed surface and gets paint into every nook and cranny.

I have a Kearney trailer (27 +5) that was powder coated and has held up very well. Looks as good now as when I bought it 7 years ago. Now the boards they put on them are junk but thats another story.

How do you prime something before you powder coat it? That's the problem with aluminum in the marine industry. A good primer is more important than the paint.

Where I have seen powder coating done properly, the surface of the metal is clean bare metal. Some do this with a chemical but blasting with sand or steel shot is better. I have not seen a primer used. Some of the large powder coating booths bake the raw steel first to remove moisture and oil.

I have no experience with aluminum.

We have had just about all of them at some point. Hank Trailers are by far the best pulling and most durable IMHO. I have been abusing one on a daily basis for 10 years now, and it shows no signs of quitting me anytime soon, other than needing new deck lumber. I have used it quite a bit harder than the ones that came before.....Zero complaints after 500K miles.

Have the PJ 25' with dovetail and ramps. It's been a good all around trailer but the load ramps are just to narrow to safely load wheeled equipment. Still have that trailer but picked up a new one by Ranch King that is 30', lower to the ground and has monster ramps. The large spring assisted ramps have made a major difference in loading. Its somewhat of a hybrid due to the two single wheels axles rated at 10k each. Out this way, trailer dualys are a State Trooper magnet.

I`ve noticed some of the trailers have pierced frames . I know they are a little lower deck height but are they stronger made that way also ?

If they have have a tube going through the pierce that is welded up correctly it makes a very good trailer. The tube helps keep the bed from twisting when you overload one side. I can really notice the difference when loading round bales. Stacking three or four on one side and the trailer does not dip and twist like a conventional trailer. Also when you go down the road with a top heavy load, the trailer stays more stable when making turns.

The lower trailer height also helps.

Latest posts