Flat faced couplers

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
Got a bit of a shock today. I have a coupler leaking on a skid steer attachment, a Parker flat faced male coupler. Called about an o-ring (actually figured I'd get a handful to have around), it took them awhile to find one, and even they were shocked at the $17 price tag.
I'm thinking there has got to be a source for these things somewhere cheaper. Do they need to be square shouldered? Wouldn't a nylon backing ring and a good round o-ring do the trick if one could find the size?
Digging around on the net it appears people actually replace the coupler when they leak. I'm not interested in that.

I've never even looked into replacing the o-ring. I keep new couplers on hand and take 2 minutes and change them out and get back to work.

Looking thru my parker book at the FEM-501 series and they don't show/list any parts or service kits.

Could take your old o-ring out and measure it up and order one by dimension.

Since I'm in the shop I tore a "summit hydraulics" brand coupler apart. Uses a regular o-ring and nylon backup.
I was hoping that would be the case. It literally takes seconds to change that seal, you don't even have to take the fitting apart. I just push the face in, slide a zap strap / zip tie in beside it and release. The face (poppet?) will stay recessed then just pick it out as you usually would on a tractor coupler.
I think I may have found a kit that contains the the seal.

Ah then you can push the poppet in and fish an o-ring and backer in. But have just done it here in the shop I'm confident I can change the entire coupler faster. Haha.

The o-ring and backer in the female couple requires disassembly to get at.

Can be done, but isn't much room to get that rigid nylon backer in there without folding it up. That's also sitting the coupler on a nice bench, not trying to do it attached to a flopping hose with oil puking out.

Attachments

• 20240212_210648.jpg
    20240212_210648.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 8
Can be done, but isn't much room to get that rigid nylon backer in there without folding it up. That's also sitting the coupler on a nice bench, not trying to do it attached to a flopping hose with oil puking out.
I would think once a guy got the backer in the first time you shouldn't have to fish it out again as long as you can dig the oring out from behind it to replace it.

Possibly. This coupler i have here is used and the backer has as much scoring/nicks as the o-ring does.

You got me curious now I'm going to dig thru a few o-ring books and see if I can find anything that matches what is in here. It sppears bigger than a -100 (.103") cross section but not to a -200 (.139") and in between metric sizes.

Edit: I tore another random no name brand apart and it uses a U-cup seal like found in a hydraulic cylinder. Hmm

Got a bit of a shock today. I have a coupler leaking on a skid steer attachment, a Parker flat faced male coupler. Called about an o-ring (actually figured I'd get a handful to have around), it took them awhile to find one, and even they were shocked at the $17 price tag.
I'm thinking there has got to be a source for these things somewhere cheaper. Do they need to be square shouldered? Wouldn't a nylon backing ring and a good round o-ring do the trick if one could find the size?
Digging around on the net it appears people actually replace the coupler when they leak. I'm not interested in that.
I ordered mine from Amazon.

Rubber products seem to have taken a huge increase recently. I went into an O'Reilly's to buy some fuel line and they wanted over seven bucks a foot. Down the street at Napa it was almost three, but that's still a big increase from what I've paid in the past. I bought an o-ring kit on Amazon a while ago and the same kit is double what it was then.

Rubber products seem to have taken a huge increase recently. I went into an O'Reilly's to buy some fuel line and they wanted over seven bucks a foot.
I'm guessing condoms out of a machine ain't 2 bits each anymore either.......

Looking thru my parker book at the FEM-501 series and they don't show/list any parts or service kits.
If you actually still use 'books' you are a rare breed. I can remember when a parts counter was one long array of parts books and crossover reference books. No more. If their 'puter is down now, they can't help ya.

I still have some books in my shop, like hydraulic fittings, o-rings, nuts and bolts, belts, pto components, bearings, seals, speedy sleeves, etc.

Anything vehicle/equipment specific I goto the computer.

I'm guessing condoms out of a machine ain't 2 bits each anymore either.......
Yup... probably not. I sold a lot of fuel line back in the day for $0.29 a foot, and I had one guy that was a regular that wanted to buy vacuum hose an inch at a time when it cost $0.15 a foot. That guy was so tight he wanted to buy one brake pad at a time... and one time he brought a brake disc in to be turned that had at one time had two surfaces separated by fins... and his only had one surface left because the inside surface had been worn completely off and the fins were exposed. He was that guy everyone talks about that would trip over a dollar to save a dime.

I have replaced the O ring on the tractors. I tried some that came in a kit of many sizes and after trying a couple I found the right ones. If you can find the right one probably cost a dollar. Take the old one to a parts store and see if they can size it. I hate external lubrication.

If you can give me a cross section and OD or ID, I'll flip thru the Parker o-ring book in my desk at work and see if I can find anything close.

The o-rings in the coupler I took apart doesn't match any standard size o-ring that I can find. It's probably for sale somewhere out there but not in my Parker book.

Latest posts