2007 Dodge double cab 3500 flat bed

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Opinions, and whoever knows how to look it up whats it worth. It is a 2007 Dodge 3500, double cab, 4 wheel drive, 5.9 diesel (last of the ones before the change), automatic transmission, custom flat bed, new tires, excellent condition with 58,000 miles. Thats not a lot to go on but I am going to check it out this weekend. It is in perfect condition. He is asking 27,000 but think I can get it for 25,000. What does everyone think?
And no I dont want a Chevy or a Ford. :lol2:

I have a 2007, but it's a late 07 with a 6.7 and 6spd instead of auto. I can tell you the auto that came in the 5.9s is not thought of very well. From all I've heard most start having problems around 100k. Of course the 5.9 is great, and the transimission might be ok.

New that truck would have been 33k, don't know how expensive of a bed it has, but I wouldn't want to pay more than 23k for that truck being 8 years old with 58000 miles.

denvermartinfarms":p3kgtm3x said:
I have a 2007, but it's a late 07 with a 6.7 and 6spd instead of auto. I can tell you the auto that came in the 5.9s is not thought of very well. From all I've heard most start having problems around 100k. Of course the 5.9 is great, and the transimission might be ok.

New that truck would have been 33k, don't know how expensive of a bed it has, but I wouldn't want to pay more than 23k for that truck being 8 years old with 58000 miles.
Who made the transmission? Bed is probably $5,000-$6,000 but just guessing.

I believe it will be the 48re transimission, they were supposed to be a improvement from the 47re but still only lasted 100 to 150k, they were made by dodge.

denvermartinfarms":2zxk8yw6 said:
I believe it will be the 48re transimission, they were supposed to be a improvement from the 47re but still only lasted 100 to 150k, they were made by dodge.
I am not crazy about an auto anyway so I will have to think about that one. Bet it costs a fortune to rebuild also.

kenny thomas":38xgdgvm said:
denvermartinfarms":38xgdgvm said:
I am not crazy about an auto anyway so I will have to think about that one. Bet it costs a fortune to rebuild also.
I thinking in the 3000$ range to rebuild one. I'm the same way, I really don't like a auto anyway.

I've got 2 2006s with the 5.9 & automatic transmission. One is a 2500 4x4 with over 215,000 miles on it & the transmission has never been touched. It gets drove everyday & worked pretty hard. Two weeks ago I hauled two 15,000 lb loads of calves to the sale barn with it.

Kenny, I punched that truck in on Kelly Blue book just for giggles. I did it with an 8' box bed in both the ST (basic model) and the Laramie (all the bells and whistles, leather etc.).
The ST in very good condition listed at around 27,800 for private sales and the Laramie, in excellent condition listed around 33,000. Customer satisfaction rated @ 8,6 out of 10.

fitz

Easily will get 25 grand if in good condition. A plus side is it doesn't have all the emissions junk they put on the 6.7's that year.

Kenny with that low of miles I would say that is a good deal. Friend of mine just sold a 07 2500 short bed extra cab auto with 135000 miles for 23500$ . My dodge is a auto and I wasn't sure about the auto transmission either after always having a manual but after 4 years of having it I like it ok and it hasn't given me any problems. It's a 05 model with alittle over 100 k miles.

I looked up NADA and it's 24800$ with a regular bed.

I'm different but I've always thought it's better to buy a new one that might not have as much stuff than to buy a high end used truck and pay to close to the price of a new one. That's my general idea, not saying it applies 100% here.

A new 4 door 4wd tradesman dually with a 6.7 and 6spd can be bought for right at or real close to 40k. So in my mind 25k is to much for a 8 year old truck with 58000 miles. Of course this bed may have cost 6000$, but do you care? Would you buy that same bed if it wasn't on it?. Another thing is diesel trucks are about the only vehicle's that hold there value really well and almost seem like a good investment if you use one.

denvermartinfarms":4ku9rolb said:
I looked up NADA and it's 24800$ with a regular bed.

I'm different but I've always thought it's better to buy a new one that might not have as much stuff than to buy a high end used truck and pay to close to the price of a new one. That's my general idea, not saying it applies 100% here.

A new 4 door 4wd tradesman dually with a 6.7 and 6spd can be bought for right at or real close to 40k. So in my mind 25k is to much for a 8 year old truck with 58000 miles. Of course this bed may have cost 6000$, but do you care? Would you buy that same bed if it wasn't on it?. Another thing is diesel trucks are about the only vehicle's that hold there value really well and almost seem like a good investment if you use one.

I agree on buying a new truck. It doesn't apply on a passenger vehicle for my wife to drive, but it does a truck.

Kenny it sounds like a good deal. Also I would want the 5.9 over the newer engine also.

jhaws77":38w3d6wo said:
I've got 2 2006s with the 5.9 & automatic transmission. One is a 2500 4x4 with over 215,000 miles on it & the transmission has never been touched. It gets drove everyday & worked pretty hard. Two weeks ago I hauled two 15,000 lb loads of calves to the sale barn with it.
Thats great! I've talked to many who weren't that lucky with that transmission.

Thanks everyone, I hate the thoughts of a new one. I hate the new motors. I have a 2001 with the 5.9 and it is still a great truck. Only 160,000 miles on it. This one might be more of a road truck. Go to visit Jed and Angus Cowman. Or maybe when we get cold weather go to see Hook instead. Probably gonna be Sunday before I look at it but I will post a picture when I do.

With a lot of the vehicles I've had, I found that as they get OLD (20+ years), the OPTIONS are what make them valuable.. LSD rearends, better brakes, better interiors and the like, they will still be sought after even after the body is rusted off.

Nesikep":yt6sekzr said:
With a lot of the vehicles I've had, I found that as they get OLD (20+ years), the OPTIONS are what make them valuable.. LSD rearends, better brakes, better interiors and the like, they will still be sought after even after the body is rusted off.

I have found that as they get OLD, vehicles mostly just lose their value, period.

I got rid of a couple old pickups by donating them to fundraising projects. I bought my 1985 Ford F150 4x4 at my uncle's retirement sale in 2003 for $1750. In 2013 it brought $250 for a fundraiser for a local community center AC project. The pickup ran decent but the body had seen better days and the clutch was slipping :oops:

A couple months ago I donated my 1982 Chevy 3/4T 2wd to a medical benefit. Just a good straight old pickup with a lot of miles on it but not a lot of frills. 350/4sp/ NO AC/cruise/tilt. Probably the best vehicle I have ever owned, but getting tired with 188K miles. Brought $600 for the fundraiser. I bought the pickup in 1996 for $1600. $1000 cost of ownership spread out over 70K miles in 18 yrs ain't bad :)

kenny thomas":2gcmenvm said:
Thanks everyone, I hate the thoughts of a new one. I hate the new motors. I have a 2001 with the 5.9 and it is still a great truck. Only 160,000 miles on it. This one might be more of a road truck. Go to visit Jed and Angus Cowman. Or maybe when we get cold weather go to see Hook instead. Probably gonna be Sunday before I look at it but I will post a picture when I do.

Kenny, I hate the thoughts of a new one too :nod: Just too many do-dads, too complicated, too expensive. I really like my new-to-me 2000 Dodge V10 with just under 100K miles on it.

Nice pickup, everything works. There is a dry bearing or something in the steering column that sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard :yuck: when I crank the wheel , but I can turn the radio up to compensate :lol:

I got some basic PM done to ensure a long mechanical life in the first month after I got the pickup. Oil change, new spark plugs and wires, dropped pan and changed fluid/filter in the auto tranny, changed rear diff lube, and put on 4 new tires.

Also added some bling items but most are very functional and serve a purpose. New aluminum running boards/bed rails, a heavy duty headache rack and a bull bar in front. New seat covers in the cab. The pickup is pretty basic with just the few creature comforts I wanted like auto trans/AC/cruise/tilt. Pickup has crank windows and rubber floor mat.

Drove the pickup to the big city for Thankgiving. Made a solid 10 mpg on that tank of gas with a little of every kind of driving and trailer pulling included on that tank. Started and let the pickup warm up for half hour setting there before I even took off :oops:

kenny thomas":2khxgjjs said:
Opinions, and whoever knows how to look it up whats it worth. It is a 2007 Dodge 3500, double cab, 4 wheel drive, 5.9 diesel (last of the ones before the change), automatic transmission, custom flat bed, new tires, excellent condition with 58,000 miles. Thats not a lot to go on but I am going to check it out this weekend. It is in perfect condition. He is asking 27,000 but think I can get it for 25,000. What does everyone think?
And no I dont want a Chevy or a Ford. :lol2:
Another new twist, I found out today that Dodge replaced the motor in this truck in 2009 and it only has around 20,000 miles on the new motor. It has a oil seal leak that he said he will have fixed if I buy it. Going tomorrow to drive it. How does the replacement motor effect the price?

Latest posts