2021 Dodge Ram 3500

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
Truck has been hooked to trailer and parked since Saturday AM. Yesterday, we came home and cargo lights were on in truck?? We had not been near the truck since Saturday. Phil turned them off. Two minutes and they came back on. They are just randomly turning on and off. Took key fob out and brought to house. This early morning, in the dark, I watched it going on and off. Haven't caught it doing it all day - but I can't SEE the lights unless I'm outside.
Has anyone experienced anything like this? I called Dodge dealer, but don't have appointment yet. Long story, but the dealer local that I bought from burned to the ground, so service is being taken care of 1 hour away. I refuse to deliver to them. I make them meet me in local town and they haul back & forth. They have been great about it - just service and recalls.

By cargo lights, do you mean the exterior light at the rear of the cab that illuminates the truck bed? That would turn on when a door opens. Are all the doors firmly closed?

I have a 2023 ram 1500. Lights and electrical stuff seem to have random responses/actions. Don't let that interfere with your upcoming trip to Louisville. Take the bulb out or disconnect if need be. My wife and I plan to be there Monday morning until Tuesday afternoon.

LOL - we will be there!!! Dealer is opening a service center here in town, but won't "open" until next week. Errrr - but, he said his guys were there and they have the tester. So, running over there tomorrow.

These new trucks/cars are basically a computer on wheels, with no restart switch. Disconnect the negative battery cable, make sure the battery has a full charge or better yet charge over night with a slow charger,then check battery. And then try it and see if that takes care of the problem..

I have it set up to have the Dodge dealer put his computer on it today - but - the damn thing hasn't done it since yesterday morning. I would guess the computer can't find something that's not there. Dang.

My 2019 Ford has two motion sensors in the overhead console to detect intruders if the doors are locked, and will set the alarm off in the middle of the night if there's a candlefly or other large bug in there. I cut the sensors off in the menu in the dash, but the truck will randomly cut them on whenever it sees fit. Ended up pulling the console down and unhooking the sensors.

How do you like the 2021 Dodge?

Great!!! Well, supposed to run in to dealer today. Haven't had time yet. Not affecting the battery. Still fully charged.
I LOVE MY RAM. I had a 2014 and traded it in for this one. Only difference is the 14 had dually's. Bright RED!!!

Visited the dealer and he put his computer on truck. Shows event was "stored" - meaning it wasn't doing it right now. But, digging deeper, it said it was either a ground wire, a bulb bad in the cargo light fixture or wiring bad in the cargo light fixture.
No matter what the cause, he "assured me" it should not cause my battery to run down and cause any problem and they will fix when I get back to town. I asked about disconnecting it, but he said it wouldn't make any difference. It would still be shorting out, I just wouldn't see it.
Well, as smart as I am about mechanical "stuff", I'm just going to ignore it like he said.
Side note - 3 weeks ago engine light came on. I dropped truck off - they hauled to dealer 1 hour away. Fixed it (supposedly an exhaust heat sensor?? 2 days later, engine light was on, dropped off, got back same day - supposedly the ground wire wasn't connected right.
I asked this guy if this may be the same problem and he confirmed it might.
Way to go - guys at fancy Syracuse dealership - 1 hour away.

Visited the dealer and he put his computer on truck. Shows event was "stored" - meaning it wasn't doing it right now. But, digging deeper, it said it was either a ground wire, a bulb bad in the cargo light fixture or wiring bad in the cargo light fixture.
No matter what the cause, he "assured me" it should not cause my battery to run down and cause any problem and they will fix when I get back to town. I asked about disconnecting it, but he said it wouldn't make any difference. It would still be shorting out, I just wouldn't see it.
Well, as smart as I am about mechanical "stuff", I'm just going to ignore it like he said.
Side note - 3 weeks ago engine light came on. I dropped truck off - they hauled to dealer 1 hour away. Fixed it (supposedly an exhaust heat sensor?? 2 days later, engine light was on, dropped off, got back same day - supposedly the ground wire wasn't connected right.
I asked this guy if this may be the same problem and he confirmed it might.
Way to go - guys at fancy Syracuse dealership - 1 hour away.
🙁🙁🙁🙁🤬🤬🤬

Latest posts