My first auction of 2021

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
My first auction of 2021 was today.. I gotta say it was the worst auction I ever attended... It appears all the people who normally look and but nothing came fully equipped and prepared to stimulate the economy with Biden bucks.. people paid 400@% more than new costs of some items... No words ... So beware Biden bucks will bite you in the azz.... It's hard to bid against a person who gets free money and doesn't think about the work it takes to make every penny.

I know a teller that works drive through at a bank as they don't have the lobby open yet. She said the last few days she has cashed hundreds of thousands of dollars as they come by wanting all of the China virus money in cash.

We shipped 55 head, 2 weeks ago..... upper 1.70's for some of the 475 to 550 wt steers.... some less.... 1.46 for some 450 wt heifers.... some for 1.20-1.30.....
Shipped 33 yesterday.... 1.62-1.65 for 2 smaller bunches of steers..... 1.39 for some just barely 400 lb. heifers and 1.29 for a group of 12, 499lb heifers.....
Cleaned out just about everything over 350 lbs.... just kept about 6 heifers to raise for replacements.... been able to buy some average bred cows and cow/calf pairs for 650-800.... some one and dones also.... figure that they will make some money....
A couple have a few nice heifer calves on them......might be some keepers.... might not..... but if you can get $600 + for a 5 wt heifer... it surely makes sense to take that and turn it into a bred older cow...... or put a little to it and buy a cow calf pair..... with the calf being saleable in 4-6 months.....

Trying to make it pay a little better....trading isn't always great.... but it is turning some money over and making a little... we bought some plain average heifers in the 7 wts to turn over, in the .70-.80/ lb range.... as there is a guy who will pay 1.00/lb for 6-8wts...figure we could hold them for a few weeks til he is ready for them.... armed them and several are pregnant... so will keep and calve them out.... sure there is a risk, but he will only take them open and they are a bit too far along to abort.... I am not real good at preg checking until they hit at least 5 months and I can feel a real calf moving... and I do not like to abort at that stage.... If I can't feel anything, they get a shot.... we have plenty of hay and silage so they are getting fed and will gain a little and make some both on weight gain and per lb on what they cost. Lost one too, so that is part of it.... But overall it is a little money made with not alot of effort....

Got a nice calf off a little heifer that was bought last year....didn't know she was bred.... she calved on her own, and bless her heart she did a pretty good job raising the calf considering how young and small she was.... calf made almost what she cost... and she will never get big due to being stunted.... but we will probably put her with the easy calving bull and if she rebreeds after a couple months off.... she will have her 2nd calf when she should have.... sure she will have a long dry period.... but she is a nice heifer that got caught too young.... decent disposition.... she will get a 2nd chance. So yeah, we don't always do things just for the financial gain....

My first auction of 2021 was today.. I gotta say it was the worst auction I ever attended... It appears all the people who normally look and but nothing came fully equipped and prepared to stimulate the economy with Biden bucks.. people paid 400@% more than new costs of some items... No words ... So beware Biden bucks will bite you in the azz.... It's hard to bid against a person who gets free money and doesn't think about the work it takes to make every penny.
Now is the time to sell and when all the money is blowed you can buy back cheap. I noticed the sell yesterday at Tyler Brothers as I had 49 items on watch mostly to be nosy and see what they brought. A lot was selling above what normally they do, I noticed. I hope for the buyers sake this inflation is not permanent. It seems farmers items 4-sale crops/cattle prices inflation doesn't matter as it is the same ole same ole.

It seems farmers items 4-sale crops/cattle prices inflation doesn't matter as it is the same ole same ole.
"The farmer is the only one in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, pays the freight both ways." -John F. Kennedy

Get some while you can....save or flip what you can manage to squeeze out of them. when they run out of $.... unknown where the prices will be.

I never seem to know the right people.
But since I'm old fashion and don't have electronic banking i may have gotten the check and didn't know it. Wife will like it im sure.
I thought you was talking about a cattle check. The lady was having computer problems when I got my check, maybe had to wait 5 minutes. Your calves sold good.

Latest posts