2007 Dodge double cab 3500 flat bed

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":kzozmj24 said:
denvermartinfarms":kzozmj24 said:
I looked up NADA and it's 24800$ with a regular bed.

I'm different but I've always thought it's better to buy a new one that might not have as much stuff than to buy a high end used truck and pay to close to the price of a new one. That's my general idea, not saying it applies 100% here.

A new 4 door 4wd tradesman dually with a 6.7 and 6spd can be bought for right at or real close to 40k. So in my mind 25k is to much for a 8 year old truck with 58000 miles. Of course this bed may have cost 6000$, but do you care? Would you buy that same bed if it wasn't on it?. Another thing is diesel trucks are about the only vehicle's that hold there value really well and almost seem like a good investment if you use one.

I agree on buying a new truck. It doesn't apply on a passenger vehicle for my wife to drive, but it does a truck.

:lol: Now we know who is the selfish one in your family!! :D Get a new truck for Bigfoot but get an old used car for the wife. :lol:

No joke, why would there be a difference? I am not a vehicle person. They are only transportation. I want it to be safe and reliable. Beyond that I never got wrapped up in vehicles. When I retired I needed a truck to carry out the functions necessary to operate my farm. I got on Autotrader and bought a 2004 Ford F-350 in Georgia. It had 160,000 miles on it. I knew the risk but it was only $4,700. It has a few dents and is a basic model. It now has 218,000 miles and I have not had one problem or a single let down. The seat is patched with duct tape other than that everything is well worn but works well.

Well, I'll go out on a limb here with my thoughts on the new truck/used car thing :hide:

First off, it grates on my ears whenever I hear someone referring to a pickup as a "truck". Especially on an ag board. Truck is a city term used by city slickers same as John Deere is the term they use for a Kubota. And like any bovine animal is a cow. Doesn't matter if it is a cow, heifer, steer or bull. Everything is a cow. I don't give a be nice if it is a crew cab diesel dually, it's still just a pickup.

You want a real truck to do real work and pull your gooseneck trailer, go buy yourself a good used single axle diesel real truck with a day cab. The kind of rigs your Coke/Pepsi/Budweiser delivery guy drives. You'll get about twice the vehicle for half the money. Seriously.

Now on the new pickup, ahem, new truck vs used car thing. A lot of ranchers drive pickups until they die and get parked in the fence row. And if they by chance do get traded in, I wouldn't want it. It is a lot tougher to find a good used pickup than it is to find a good used car.

Unless you can find that "truck" that has only been driven to Wallyworld by Susie Homemaker. It won't have any big dents from a bovine of any size bumping into it. Only minor door dings from the competitive shoppers in the Wallyworld parking lot.

But you're going to have to compete not only with your fellow ranchers, but with Frank Fisherman or Steve Snowmobiler for Susie's nice dually, because they want it to pull their camper/boat/snowmobile trailer. OTOH, good used cars are comparably cheap and plentiful and not in as much demand as compared to pickups.

I did find what I considered a good buy on the Dodge pickup I bought at the state auction. Yes, it's 15 yrs old but has less than 100K miles and appears to have been maintained well. 2wd regular cab longbox, and not a lot of bells and whistles. But it has everything I need and want without a lot of extra useless and costly do-dads. All for $2100.

Neighbor kid just bought the late model crew cab diesel dually 4x4 that was driven to Walmart by Susie. Nice, nice pickup. He paid, or rather is paying $42K for the privilege :shock:

Yes, his pickup is much nicer than mine. He can haul more people with him in bad driving conditions and get better fuel mileage doing it. My pickup can do the same basic work his pickup can, but his pickup cost 21X more.

At his age I probably would have bought a late model pickup too, if only to impress the girls. But being 30 yrs older now that is no longer an important factor to me :p

I hope no one takes this somewhat tongue-in-cheek post too seriously. Go ahead and call a pickup a truck if you wish, and I will just close my eyes and skip over that part ;-) Off my soapbox now :tiphat:

Inyati,

I wondered when someone would bust my chops for that. Trucks just hold there value better for some reason. Even hard to find, if you are looking. Cars are on every corner. I guess because more people drive them. Idk. If you take $10,000, and go shopping for a used car, the sky is the limit. Blows your mind what all is out there. Take that same $10,000 and look for a truck, that will actually work for you on the farm, and your choices are limited.

Looking for an suv, is about like looking for a truck. I'm talking about 4 door cars. Mini vans are also a good buy when they are used.

Bigfoot":3ik0dyzl said:
Inyati,

I wondered when someone would bust my chops for that. Trucks just hold there value better for some reason. Even hard to find, if you are looking. Cars are on every corner. I guess because more people drive them. Idk. If you take $10,000, and go shopping for a used car, the sky is the limit. Blows your mind what all is out there. Take that same $10,000 and look for a truck, that will actually work for you on the farm, and your choices are limited.

Looking for an suv, is about like looking for a truck. I'm talking about 4 door cars. Mini vans are also a good buy when they are used.
Especially diesel trucks. This 2007 dodge in question that Kenny is looking at cost about 34k when it was new, now it's 8 years old with 58k miles and they are asking 27000$. What vehicle besides a diesel truck holds value like that?. It's the reason why when I was 16 I got a new dodge dually instead of a used one, at the time you could buy one 5 years old with 100k miles and no warranty for 22000$ or a brand new one for 32000$.

To me it is not as much the difference in cost of new vs used as it is I dont like all the emission controls and what goes with them on the new ones. John SD I love the thought of a single axle but I must have 4x4 and a realy slow gear. Denver new trucks must be lots cheaper there, a new one like this with all the bells and whistles here is just over $60,000. If this was a 6 speed it would have been gone the first day.

kenny thomas":1ap5a1m6 said:
To me it is not as much the difference in cost of new vs used as it is I dont like all the emission controls and what goes with them on the new ones. John SD I love the thought of a single axle but I must have 4x4 and a realy slow gear. Denver new trucks must be lots cheaper there, a new one like this with all the bells and whistles here is just over $60,000. If this was a 6 speed it would have been gone the first day.
A new one now with everything would be close to 60000$, I was saying personally I would rather buy something new without the bells and whistles than a really nice used one. I was just saying how I look at it, wasn't saying that applied here. A tradesman 4x4 diesel 4 door dually can be bought for just right or a touch over 40k.

Latest posts