Flat faced couplers

Help Support CattleToday:

So I got this from the dealer, ( pic is for part number in case anyone else is looking for a suitable seal ) popped it in and it works with no leaks. $17 CAD seems steep but cheaper than a new coupler. I think I have found some online cheaper but the trick is to not pay $60 shipping for a $3 seal lol
IMG_2973.jpeg

That part is no longer available per new holland. Only ones available are old stock a dealer happens to have. It has been replaced by #87741500, which is an entire coupler.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240214_104337_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240214_104337_Chrome.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 3
Are O rings used under pressure in hydraulic systems made of the same material as the everyday O ring, are they a special ring?

Ken
There seem to be different materials depending on application and pressures. A lot of hydraulic o rings seem to be nitrile, but sometimes other types are used like neoprene and something called viton. I'm sure there are others.
I have a few kits, most rings are black and they seem to do the job. But I always feel better when I use the slightly reddish coloured ones. I have no idea what they are made of but someone probable told me that red was better than black lol

So strange if I go to the same website as that and put it the part number it says unavailable and pops up the entire coupler.

My NH and Case dealers both told me unavailable although the Case dealer did have one in stock that they have had since 2007 he said...

Don't know what they are made of but anything CAT in the hydraulics has the red/pink o-ring for what that is worth.

There seem to be different materials depending on application and pressures. A lot of hydraulic o rings seem to be nitrile, but sometimes other types are used like neoprene and something called viton. I'm sure there are others.
I have a few kits, most rings are black and they seem to do the job. But I always feel better when I use the slightly reddish coloured ones. I have no idea what they are made of but someone probable told me that red was better than black lol
There's no on-size-fits-all when it comes to o-ring material. Viton is one of the preferred materials when it comes to contact with diesel fuel, but won't hold up in the processes where I work because of chemical incompatibility. And I also wouldn't rely on color as an indicator of material, as a lot of the colors are same/similar. If you do a Google search on chemical compatibility, you can turn up as much info as you care to read. There's also different hardness ratings within each material, etc. If you want an eye-opener, look up the material Kalrez and price some o-rings.

Are O rings used under pressure in hydraulic systems made of the same material as the everyday O ring, are they a special ring?

Ken

I do know that the seals for ORB fittings are made of firmer rubber than standard O-rings. I ordered a bunch in common sizes a while back.

Latest posts