Look who who who's picture I got

Help Support CattleToday:

That is a Long eared owl I pictured...

Yesterday I got another candid shot of a little hooter, This time a Northern Pygmy owl... He was on a powerline, they are normally daytime hunters... I was taking pictures of him, but he was a bit far away, then he flew to a different power line, which was much lower, so I got a couple slightly better ones, then he dove down into some dry grass, I heard squeaking, and he came out, sat on a piece of firewood, and I took this pic... See his lunch?
IMG_8612Crop_filtered_zps8c538464.jpg

I was always taught that is a Great Horned Owl--you call it a long eared owl tho.
Are they 2 different species?

Most of our owls are Barred Owls, but everyone calls them barn owls.

They are two different species, in my bird book they are quite different, but I can't remember them well enough to describe the differences

Beautiful shots Nesi and Jo !

Nesi that recent pic should be published it is phenomenal ,have you ever submitted your photos to a nature magazine/journal ?

A few years ago, when I still got up early, there was a pair of great horned owls in the treeline at the edge of my property. I'd catch them in silhoutte early mornings. I think the tree that housed them broke in a storm and they moved.

I haven't submitted any of my pics for magazines.. yet.. I did enter a photo contest in our local newspaper... results will be announced in april I think... there's a lot of killer photographers (with much better equipment and patience) than me, but I do seem to have a fair bit of luck

Nesikep":33400cnv said:
I haven't submitted any of my pics for magazines.. yet.. I did enter a photo contest in our local newspaper... results will be announced in april I think... there's a lot of killer photographers (with much better equipment and patience) than me, but I do seem to have a fair bit of luck

Nessi, I know this is an old post but I was wondering what type of equipment you have. These pictures were not taken with a digital brownie and I believe you have a long lens on your camera. Great photos, eh.

The first picture (long eared owl) was taken with a Canon S3IS, which is a smaller camera, 6MP, and does really well for itself.
Second picture (Pygmy owl) was taken with a Canon XTi, 8MP, 100-300mm lens... it's got a good range on the lens, but it's really poorly made... it's got all sorts of dust in it..
I think if I get a new camera someday, I'm going to try Nikon... There are some things about the Canons really drive me batty. I just picked up a Canadian Geographic magazine.. a lot of great pictures in there.. didn't feel like spending $12 on it

This is a great thread. I loved seeing the photos. They all are excellent.
I really like the little spotted owl. I've never seen one before. I don't see owls very often, but I hear them in the evening when I am finishing up chores.
Thank you everyone for sharing them.

Latest posts