Longhorns: Good, Bad or Ugly?

Help Support CattleToday:

The good about Longhorns are very smart animal,easy to handle, hardy,longevity, very rare to have a calving problem, and breeds back on time.
The bad is if you sale at auction you may get docked.To make any good money on them you would need to sale at a special Longhorn sale.
Not sure about their gaining weight but that goes back to why you would get docked at the sale barn.They tend to look thin.
BUT I would encourage you to look up a poster by the name of Ryan and go to his website and judge for yourself he has some to the best Longhorns I've ever seen.

In fact go to the thread Up and Coming and look at her.

I agree with texast. Longhorns never bring good prices at the sale barn. About 2 weeks ago, I saw 4 yr old cow going for $300!!! Make sure you are able to get into the special Longhorn sales before venturing into that; unless you don't care about the business and just want to raise Longhorns. ;-) Good Luck in whatever you decide :lol:

texast":37xoqmux said:
The good about Longhorns are very smart animal,easy to handle, hardy,longevity, very rare to have a calving problem, and breeds back on time.
The bad is if you sale at auction you may get docked.To make any good money on them you would need to sale at a special Longhorn sale.
Not sure about their gaining weight but that goes back to why you would get docked at the sale barn.They tend to look thin.
BUT I would encourage you to look up a poster by the name of Ryan and go to his website and judge for yourself he has some to the best Longhorns I've ever seen.

In fact go to the thread Up and Coming and look at her.

Good information. On a sidebar: Ryan's operation has some good Longhorns. They appear to be more of the "beefy" type than emphasizing "Long" horns. They do a lot of Showing of their cattle.

On the other hand, there are many other quality breeders of Longhorns out there. Different breeders emphasize different traits and genetics of their Longhorns. Some emphasize great horn length, others emphasize full bodies, and still others emphasize a combination of traits including a variety of color patterns.

At Running Arrow Farm we breed for different markets and have a variety of animals. You can check out our website to see some of our Longhorns. In sum, do your research, look at different breeders' websites and make comparisons. No single breeder has all the answers or types of Longhorns.

Good luck with your Longhorn research!

Running Arrow thanks for pointing out the differences among the different operations.
Side note, I often visit your website as well and your cattle are some of the best as well.

Another good thing about the Longhorns is the bulls can be used on first time heifers because the calves are so small.

texast":5pa549z4 said:
Another good thing about the Longhorns is the bulls can be used on first time heifers because the calves are so small.

Or you could select a beef bull with calving ease EPDs to use on your heifers. Most breeds have them now.

Better at WHAT???

CHARs (and most breeds) will outgain them in the feedlot.
Angus will out marble and out quality grade them.
Angus (and most breeds) will bring more per pound at the same weight than Longhorns at the stockyard.
Brahmans probably have more heat resistance and heterosis in a crossbreeding regimen than Longhorns.

Longhorns have a place; but it is a place where forage is sparse
and carrying capacity is low.

Brandonm2":tv55ia53 said:
Better at WHAT???

CHARs (and most breeds) will outgain them in the feedlot.
Angus will out marble and out quality grade them.
Angus (and most breeds) will bring more per pound at the same weight than Longhorns at the stockyard.
Brahmans probably have more heat resistance and heterosis in a crossbreeding regimen than Longhorns.

Longhorns have a place; but it is a place where forage is sparse
and carrying capacity is low.

True. Longhorns will survive on about any type of vegetation. However, to maintain a BCS or 5 or so, they need decent food just like any other breed. Another "plus" if you will is that Longhorns can function in just about any climate (hot, cold, dry, wet) unlike some of the other breeds. There are pros and cons to every breed, every geographic location, and program.

The "perfect" animal is in the eye of the beholder...lol.

Good post. I'm not a Longhorn fan especially not of the ones in Austin. But i do see they have a place. Especially amoung the well to do novelty breeders (wine and cheese crowd). If you can get into some of the breed sales that they have and bring the type and kind that they want. I would venture to say good profits can be made from them. They feed folks real well at their sales.

i'm going to step in here and mention the fact that the Longhorn Breed (not any association, but the LONGHORN BREED ITSELF) now has a Brand New Coop that will address the issue of what to do with the naturally lean heathy grass fed or grain fed Longhorns...

this coop's name and website is http://txlonghorncoop.org main contact name is: George Slayton

this Longhorn Coop is looking specifically FOR PEOPLE TO JOIN THIS COOP that RAISE grass fed Longhorns that will meet BOTH the new USDA Recommendations that went into effect as of Nov 15th, 2007 and also to meet this Coop's 1st USDA Approved "GRASS FED LABEL".

however, a Second Label for "Grain-Fed" Longhorns is currently in progress and will be coming on board soon.

----------

NOW the Longhorn Breed is Nature's own version of what a grass fed animal is about... Nature is the one that designed the Longhorn to be lean...

... why is it lean? it carries (places) it's fat in a different way than most commercial bovine breeds do...

it carries it's extra fat around it's organs, not on the surface of the meat that has to be cut off because it's too thick...

it does have natural marbling... not like the "fatty breeds" but enough to make for a nice lean healthy natural product that Nature says is best...

LONGHORNS ARE NATURES OWN PRODUCT--- NATURE'S OWN VERSION OF WHAT IS NATURALLY LEAN

i totally agree that:

LONGHORNS ARE NOT A "FEED LOT ANIMAL"... NATURE DID NOT DESIGN A FEED LOT ANIMAL... MANKIND DESIGNED THE FEED LOT ANIMAL

----

is this Coop real? yes... (how do i know? because i am on the Board Of Directors)

is this Coop workable for me as a longhorn breeder? yes

is this Coop good for the Longhorn Breed both for the short term and for the longterm? yes

why is this Coop good for the Longhorn Breed/BREEDER?

Because if we have a job/value for our lower end animals then there will be a "trickle up effect" for the other Longhorns... we all know that animals that have value keep their value...

i am able to use this Coop as my valuable culling tool...for my lower end animals that do not meet our breeding requirements... those extra bull calves that are born every year... etc.. etc... this will also allow jobs for the animals that are not registered but are full or 7/8ths Longhorns.

-----------

WE as Longhorn Breeders and Breeders that have a minimum of 7/8 Longhorn that has Horns, is Not Polled and will fit the requirements for either the "Grass Fed Label" or the "Grain Fed Label" ARE NEEDED

**CRITICAL** IT MUST HANG LIKE A LONGHORN CARCASS....IT MUST NOT HANG LIKE A COMMERCIAL BOVINE

IF you have straight Longhorns or a minimum of 7/8th "provable" Longhorn crosses then this program is for you...

why?

because for the 1st time in years... if you will strictly follow the simple rules and guidelines for either label...

YOU WILL BE PAID DOLLARS ON THE PACKAGED WEIGHT AND NOT PENNIES ON THE LIVEWEIGHT

-----------

PM me and i will gladly talk to you about how this Coop works in more detail... and will find out the answers to any questions that i am unable to answer....or direct you to the people that can better answer your questions...

----------------

yes, there is a membership fee of $100.00 per year

yes, you do need to schedule with George Slayton as to when to best bring your animals in....

..George will work with you if you are able to tell him what, when and how many animals you are bringing... (this is critical for the flow of animals to meet the weekly needs of the grocery store

yes, there is a need for both Under 30 months of age Longhorns and Over 30 months of age Longhorns (obviously you will be better paid for the under 30 moa animal)

yes, you will be paid on "YOUR OWN ANIMAL" as it is multible tagged to be sure of it's traceablity.

it must pass inspections... if it does not fit either program then it will be rejected at the owners expense.

yes, we have two grocery store chains that are EXCITED and WAITING for us to supply them with ALL THE LONGHORNS WE CAN PROVIDE (we are starting with these two, and as time goes will be adding additional markets as this Coop grows)

yes, we can grow into more markets... as we are not limited for the natural beef market...

yes, if you would rather take your animal in, have the Coop put your Longhorn into Meat Packages with it's label for resale.... and go back and pick up your own Longhorn Meat... you will now be able to sell your own Longhorn Meat to your own customers...(this is legal... because this label is legal)

YES, there is a MARKET FOR LEAN MEAT.... JUST GO TO THE ARTICLE THAT CATTLE TODAY HAS ON LAURA'S LEAN MEATS

go to your better grocery chain stores and just see what the lean meat is going for...

i can get more for my 98% Longhorn Lean hamburger than you can for your fat hamburger...

but hamburger is not it's only job... jerky.. brisket... short ribs... sauages...chili meat...barbeque..bratwurst...back ribs...prime rib roast... chuck steak, tenderloin steak, rib eye steak, new york strip steak, top sirloin steak, t bone steak

yes, i have to cook it with temps that are lower and for a shorter time..or turn it into possible shoe leather because i cooked it wrong... but if i cook it the way it needs to.. then i have a quality eating product..

the Longhorn is perfect for it's lean meat job... i don't/won't have to compete with the commercial bovine in any way...

the commercial bovine has it's OWN job that it fills very nicely.

...i just need to use my Longhorns for what they are best suited for...

IT'S NATURALLY LEAN MEAT as ONE of it's MANY JOBS

JOIN TODAY: http://www.txlonghorncoop.org/images/membership_packet.pdf

Bet those T-bones aren't very big. But probably very very nutritious. I know some folks in South Texas that are raising and marketing grass fed longhorn beef. Never tried it but guess I ought to drop in about chow time one day. ;-)

The only longhorn I have had was a steer for freezer beef (cheap at the auction thank you very much :D :D ). I kept him in a small enclosure for the last 90 days and pushed the grain. He was only about 1000 lbs and hung about 55%. While on the small side that was the best steak I have ever had. So tender it practically fell apart when it was uncooked. It did have more marbling than I thought it would but probably not up to everyones standards. I was leary of longhorns because of my own misconception and bad PR. I never would have tried it had it not been a steal. He was probably a bear on the feed conversion but I was not too worried about that.

Found This. Thought you LH people would chuckle....

Willworkasfood.jpg

Avalon":35tekqf1 said:
Good post. I'm not a Longhorn fan especially not of the ones in Austin. But i do see they have a place. Especially amoung the well to do novelty breeders (wine and cheese crowd). If you can get into some of the breed sales that they have and bring the type and kind that they want. I would venture to say good profits can be made from them. They feed folks real well at their sales.

Love your post!

"Wine & Cheese Crowd"...lol. In past years my knowledge of that crowd wouldn't touch livestock or getting their body dirty for love nor money... ;-) Yes, that crowd would buy one as "an investment" as long as they didn't have to deal with the cattle personally... ;-)

Running Arrow Bill":ksm8pbg0 said:
Avalon":ksm8pbg0 said:

Love your post!

"Wine & Cheese Crowd"...lol. In past years my knowledge of that crowd wouldn't touch livestock or getting their body dirty for love nor money... ;-) Yes, that crowd would buy one as "an investment" as long as they didn't have to deal with the cattle personally... ;-)

RAB I know a heart patient. His wife is niow ABSOLUTE about everything he eats. The Doc told him that if he wanted to eat beef, it had to be LH. That is what his wife puts in the freezer.

And yes, they beat angus hands down for nursing calves through the summer in this climate.

I don't own LH and never have. I value their existence and purpose. My friend would never get steak again if it weren't for LH.

backhoeboogie":plh8o5so said:
Running Arrow Bill":plh8o5so said:
Avalon":plh8o5so said:

Love your post!

RAB I know a heart patient. His wife is niow ABSOLUTE about everything he eats. The Doc told him that if he wanted to eat beef, it had to be LH. That is what his wife puts in the freezer.

And yes, they beat angus hands down for nursing calves through the summer in this climate.

I don't own LH and never have. I value their existence and purpose. My friend would never get steak again if it weren't for LH.

Personally, I think this avenue for selling Longhorns is the one least utilized. I know there are a lot of people that sell the LH beef and do quite well with it, but think this is an area that the breed associations could greatly benefit from getting involved in. The co-op that RunningArrowBill and Magpie are involved with is a good start, and I know there are others out there. But i do think that the LH beef market could really take off if the breed associations got involved and there was more current data. The tables that most people referrence is data that was collected in 1987, if i remember correctly.

I know I love the beef, been eatin since I can remember.

Ryan

Food For Thought!

800# Longhorn Bull or Steer: $350 +/- at Sale Barn Sale.

800# Longhorn Bull or Steer Put in Freezer: $1,000 - $1,200 of your own packaged beef.

Taste of Longhorn Beef: Priceless

Ugly.... small gene pool......unless the out crossed to some other longhorned type cattle.. They were nearlly exstinced 80 years ago.... Were pushed hard in the early 80's as heifer bulls...I say I rather have 5 Black angus cows than fifty longhorns...Of course there is a good money to be made in horns, and the show ring....AS FOR ME I RAISE BEEF...But they are pretty...

Latest posts