Longhorn Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":305z5aqw said:
TennesseeTuxedo":305z5aqw said:
Muddy":305z5aqw said:
Gosh, no wonder why you guys are good at run anyone out away from the forum nowadays.

Say what?
I take it to mean... Users are being run off of cattle today, by those that disagree with them..

I see, it's the old "if you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen" conundrum.

Thanks for clearing that up.

ALACOWMAN":3oid17a9 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3oid17a9 said:
Muddy":3oid17a9 said:
Gosh, no wonder why you guys are good at run anyone out away from the forum nowadays.

Say what?
I take it to mean... Users are being run off of cattle today, by those that disagree with them..

Some people have a way of chilling others. Some people have a way of welcoming discussion even when they have a different opinion.

Some folks just go elsewhere. Some haven't been back here in years and say they aren't coming back. Each to his own.

TexasBred":1lu24uci said:
Lazy M":1lu24uci said:
Caustic Burno":1lu24uci said:
They aren't fooling the buyers there fooling themselves.
LH cross calf sticks out like a sore thumb at a sale of calves that will grade. Can't hide that triangle head and hatchet a$$.
Agreed. The buyers are so opposed and sensitive to longhorns anything that runs through that is a little light boned will get singled and docked on suspicion of being LH influenced. Folks with longhorns trying to sneak them by the buyers are causing others with true beef cattle to lose $..
Not really. Each calf stands on it's own merits....or deficiencies. Any calf that gets docked usually deserved it. Buyers know what they're buying. Never forget "Let the buyer beware".
I mostly agree with that, EXCEPT if the buyers are singling and docking a calf solely because they feel that it may have LH lineage and thus won't gain at the feedyards.

Lazy M":17r4hx0k said:
TexasBred":17r4hx0k said:
Lazy M":17r4hx0k said:
Agreed. The buyers are so opposed and sensitive to longhorns anything that runs through that is a little light boned will get singled and docked on suspicion of being LH influenced. Folks with longhorns trying to sneak them by the buyers are causing others with true beef cattle to lose $..
Not really. Each calf stands on it's own merits....or deficiencies. Any calf that gets docked usually deserved it. Buyers know what they're buying. Never forget "Let the buyer beware".
I mostly agree with that, EXCEPT if the buyers are singling and docking a calf solely because they feel that it may have LH lineage and thus won't gain at the feedyards.
Who knows....only the buyer knows what he's thinking and why he's doing it. Only tool seller has is the PO.

Granted, most longhorn influenced calves won't bring the top dollars at most sale barns, but they do pay a little more for Longhorn X calves than most straight longhorn calves from what I seen at the sale barns. I don't see anything wrong with the Longhorn people using Charolais bulls on their cows to add more pounds in the calves. As TexasBred said it's the buyer beware.... anything can screwed the buyers up.

TexasBred":2x7cex7g said:
Lazy M":2x7cex7g said:
TexasBred":2x7cex7g said:
Who knows....only the buyer knows what he's thinking and why he's doing it. Only tool seller has is the PO.
I know because I sat with the buyers last Friday when I sold my group. None of mine were singled out (except for 2 with pinkeye scars) but a couple of the guys pointed out a few singles and groups being sold that they suspected may have LH influence. I corrected them on one because I knew the farmer that sold them and he's never had a Longhorn on his place.

I have crossbred lh cows, two full lh cows, and one lh/watusi X...i breed them to an angus bull, so far this year i have two calves out of 10 with chrome - one is from a full lh cow, the other from the watusi. There are 5 blacks and 3 reds in the solid group.

Last year I didn't get docked much on the solids(a little more $ if they have horns), because they look (and taste) as good as any other breed; for the 3 chromed calves i sold last year i was docked around $15 per 100lb ...except fot the white coloring, they were as beefy looking as any at the sale.

As for horns, about half end up being horned...the full lh and the watusi have always thrown horns. But, the horns looked as small or smaller than a hereford's.

And, to clarify, I have never tried to "fool" the buyer, the buyer should be buying the cattle based of what he sees. And, as i stated above, my crossbred cattle look as good and "beefy" as most at the sale. They all have good bone, wide backs, and big hips...but, i did pick an angus bull with those traits...

I have kept back a bunch of the heifers from that bull and have now replaced him with a romagnola bull, to add more hip and back width...it will be interesting to see if he keeps throwing mostly solid calves.

I started with these cows because i used them to rope. I bought them for $400 a piece. The average i recieved per calf last year was $630. So, I paid for the cows and most of the bull after the first full year after buying the bull.I don't think that was a bad "business" decision, at least from the perspective that i roped the cows for two years(some for 3), and will make a very good profit this year. Another positive to owning lh and lh X cattle, low feed and medicine costs...I spent around $70 per animal in winter hay/grain, and vaccines/wormer. Nope, not bad at all.....I will make a decent profit this year, and will have paid off every animal i purchased(including the new bull).

ropinranger":y48tk2f7 said:
I have crossbred lh cows, two full lh cows, and one lh/watusi X...i breed them to an angus bull, so far this year i have two calves out of 10 with chrome - one is from a full lh cow, the other from the watusi. There are 5 blacks and 3 reds in the solid group.

Last year I didn't get docked much on the solids(a little more $ if they have horns), because they look (and taste) as good as any other breed; for the 3 chromed calves i sold last year i was docked around $15 per 100lb ...except fot the white coloring, they were as beefy looking as any at the sale.

As for horns, about half end up being horned...the full lh and the watusi have always thrown horns. But, the horns looked as small or smaller than a hereford's.

And, to clarify, I have never tried to "fool" the buyer, the buyer should be buying the cattle based of what he sees. And, as i stated above, my crossbred cattle look as good and "beefy" as most at the sale. They all have good bone, wide backs, and big hips...but, i did pick an angus bull with those traits...

I have kept back a bunch of the heifers from that bull and have now replaced him with a romagnola bull, to add more hip and back width...it will be interesting to see if he keeps throwing mostly solid calves.

I started with these cows because i used them to rope. I bought them for $400 a piece. The average i recieved per calf last year was $630. So, I paid for the cows and most of the bull after the first full year after buying the bull.I don't think that was a bad "business" decision, at least from the perspective that i roped the cows for two years(some for 3), and will make a very good profit this year. Another positive to owning lh and lh X cattle, low feed and medicine costs...I spent around $70 per animal in winter hay/grain, and vaccines/wormer. Nope, not bad at all.....I will make a decent profit this year, and will have paid off every animal i purchased(including the new bull).

It seems you are doing well. Longhorns have the advantage of being less expensive to buy and to feed and care for than most other beef breeds. Then when crossed with a homzygous black beef bull, like your Angus, you get black or mostly black calves that sell well.

The only question I have is, why not remove the horns before taking the calves to the livestock auction?

Muddy has it. I would have them removed if they were more than @ 1.5"(most are less than an inch, except for the watusi X and the fb longhorns) or less at the time of sale.

I've had few calves with really small nubs and I don't get docked for it. These were out of commercial Angus cows and registered Angus bulls.

Then some come back. :cowboy:

My brother has done well with LHs. They don't top the market by any means, but he got in cheap, and stayed in cheap. You can tell they are LHs. He has used Angus, Hereford, Limo and Beefmaster bulls. He has lost few calves for any reason. One of the best, a Limo cross fell into a fast creek on a very cold day and died. That might be his only loss.

He started with LHs when I started this thread, and it has turned out to be a good discussion.

HDRider":3q957gh0 said:

My brother has done well with LHs. They don't top the market by any means, but he got in cheap, and stayed in cheap. You can tell they are LHs. He has used Angus, Hereford, Limo and Beefmaster bulls. He has lost few calves for any reason. One of the best, a Limo cross fell into a fast creek on a very cold day and died. That might be his only loss.

He started with LHs when I started this thread, and it has turned out to be a good discussion.
He needs to try a Charolais bull and see if a buyer can still tell if their longhorn influenced.

True Grit Farms":xg421f8b said:
HDRider":xg421f8b said:

He needs to try a Charolais bull and see if a buyer can still tell if their longhorn influenced.
That is the most popular LH cross here. He is sticking with the Beefmaster, and Hereford.

Even I can see LH in them.

Obviously they will have some Longhorn characteristics in Char x Longhorn cross, but they are not trying to fooling the buyers. The real reason why most Longhorn guys picked Charolais because they bring something to table, something that the mighty black angus doesn't have.

Latest posts