Longhorn Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

As Big Cheese said, virtually zero calving issues. Calves are beefy, and the cows are still considerably cheaper to maintain. It's too early in my experiment to tell, but I'm hoping for some increase in longevity in the crossbred cows. We have a couple of Longhorns well into their 20's with good calves on them right now, and it'd be great to get that kind of mileage out of the crosses. Just think of all the heifers I wouldn't have to keep!

Big Cheese":3sgh21fb said:
They still have the toughness of the Longhorn. They still retain most of the Longhorn traits like no calving problems but Longhorn doesnt show up as much. They will be more beefier and bring more money.

Don't suppose you have seen and LH x Jersey cows in action?

TexasBred":2w2ak89q said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2w2ak89q said:
I like your plan Big Cheese. We started running an Angus bull on our Longhorn cows about 7 years ago. We've saved several of those heifer calves and put an Angus bull back on them. Those end up some of our best calves with the lowest inputs. We've been selling to the same buyer for several years, and he likes them.
When the longhorn has been diluted that much what do they still bring to the table vs just going angus?
My brother started this in 14 because beef cows were so expensive then, and LHs were cheap. He has built up a pretty good herd in that time. Those longhorns he brought in are still throwing calves and he is breeding their progeny now.

Along the lines you say, I'v suggested he now sell everything and start off with a good base herd of more conventional beef cattle. He isn't listening to me this time. He has turned into a fan of them LHs for the reasons some have stated here.

One thing about longhorns you can breed them till their full blood Charolais or Simmental if you choose. Why I don't know? It's only a matter of time before computers scan the animals carcass during cool down and determine the quality of the meat. And it won't be long before tracking chips or some other kind of ID tags will be required. From the farm the animal was raised on to the consumer that ate the animal everything will be recorded on a computer.
If and when that day comes, the quality of the animal will sell it's self. I know I can't compete with Mexico and south America on hamburger and still be profitable.

Just sounds like he has the longhorn part of the cross diluted down so much he's getting very little of the favorable longhorn attributes in the offspring. But I guess if it's working why change.

Got a couple heavy milking Pinz line back crosses here. Fair dispositions and whopper calves. Have you seen this kind crossed with LH to get economical Lineback x Lineback cows?

TexasBred":kzrm0lgf said:
Just sounds like he has the longhorn part of the cross diluted down so much he's getting very little of the favorable longhorn attributes in the offspring. But I guess if it's working why change.

The trick is keeping the Longhorn cross heifers, that is where the mother heterosis helps the "Diluted" Longhorn feeder calves(1/4 goes a long way just like brahman but without the ears and loose skin), And while the calves may not inherit the heterosis of her F1 mother, he is Beefier and getting help from an almost bullet proof mother, Just think about them as low maintenance Tiger stripe F1, tough as nails mothers that will wean a calf that is about 55% of her weight.

gaurus":sng7fv5o said:
TexasBred":sng7fv5o said:

The trick is keeping the Longhorn cross heifers, that is where the mother heterosis helps the "Diluted" Longhorn feeder calves(1/4 goes a long way just like brahman but without the ears and loose skin), And while the calves may not inherit the heterosis of her F1 mother, he is Beefier and getting help from an almost bullet proof mother, Just think about them as low maintenance Tiger stripe F1, tough as nails mothers that will wean a calf that is about 55% of her weight.
I understand where you're coming from. Actually it would seem to me the 1/4 LH would be a far better cow if she retains most of the positive attributes of the LH like easy keeper, easy calving, and low maintenance but loses the small frame, hard fleshing, wild colors of purebred longhorns and F1 crosses.

TexasBred":avmwmk94 said:
I understand where you're coming from. Actually it would seem to me the 1/4 LH would be a far better cow if she retains most of the positive attributes of the LH like easy keeper, easy calving, and low maintenance but loses the small frame, hard fleshing, wild colors of purebred longhorns and F1 crosses.
I can guarantee you that 1/4 Longhorn cross cow will not retain many of the original longhorn attributes, it will be a beefier cow with higher maintenance, and will not breed till her late teens, but ¼ longhorn feeder calves is where the Moneys at $$$, hardly any Longhorn in them but with enough to make them healthier and have a tough as nails F1 Mother that will breed to her late teens or early 20s.. :cboy:

gaurus":3rkl6dn0 said:
TexasBred":3rkl6dn0 said:
I can guarantee you that 1/4 Longhorn cross cow will not retain many of the original longhorn attributes, it will be a beefier cow with higher maintenance, and will not breed till her late teens, but ¼ longhorn feeder calves is where the Moneys at $$$, hardly any Longhorn in them but with enough to make them healthier and have a tough as nails F1 Mother that will breed to her late teens or early 20s.. :cboy:
You make them sound almost as good as Brangus (of course I'm prejudiced) ;-)

TexasBred":3sfc8xzo said:
They should, no Brahman blood in them, all Bos Taurus in them as opposed to 3/8 Bos indicus in Brangus.

gaurus":2muy49uf said:
TexasBred":2muy49uf said:
They should, no Brahman blood in them, all Bos Taurus in them as opposed to 3/8 Bos indicus in Brangus.
I understand brangus. ;-)

Stocker Steve":3lurp4u8 said:
Bralong
or
Brahorn?

how about Watusi? They were the first composite breed made from combining African Bos Taurus and Indian Zebu type cattle

watusi-home2.jpg

Muddy":y5vk4qua said:
Stocker Steve":y5vk4qua said:
Bralong
or
Brahorn?
I thought it was Plummer which is 50% Longhorn 50% Brahman?

Plummer bred cattle came from Mr. Plummer. He was kinda the pioneer of bucking bred cattle. The cattle he himself raised are considered Plummer bred. To some extent, people that pursue the same type of breeding, will sometimes say Plummer bred in reference to their stock. By in large though a Plummer bred animal would descend from his stock. No registry for it ofcourse.

Stocker Steve":3va1s4y5 said:
Big Cheese":3va1s4y5 said:
They still have the toughness of the Longhorn. They still retain most of the Longhorn traits like no calving problems but Longhorn doesnt show up as much. They will be more beefier and bring more money.

Don't suppose you have seen and LH x Jersey cows in action?

Actually we have one that I believe has some jersey in her but she is mostly Longhorn. She raises a pretty good calf but she is on the older side and she has bred back late this year so she may be on the way pretty quick this year if we need to sell some cows.

I'm not stepping out, and sayin these calves are nice, but I am sayin they are a whole lot better, than I ever thought they would be. I posted a pic earlier of the daddy, and by all accounts, he ain't much to look at.

I thought this one was an interesting color considering the mating.

Well over the course of the last 2 evenings/nights I have read all 60 pages of this thread!! And I've learned a lot!! I currently have 2 heifers (1 char/Hereford cross and 1 longhorn) both were bred to a black angus and should be calving within the next 1-2 months. I'll be breeding both of these back to a charolais bull. Seeing how I only have about 30-40 acres to run cows on (see my thread in the introduction forum for the info on my setup) I'm considering buying more longhorns and doing what Big Cheese has been doing. Also, since I have a lot of recently logged woods (not part of the 30-40 acres I'd meantioned) I think longhorns would be a better fit to clean out/keep clean the woods. What say y'all.

HDRider, I'm not trying to highjack your thread in any way just seriously considering following what you're doing in the crossbreeding to get a low maintenance herd and also have something that will put a hurting on brush/saplings in the woods. And any and all profits I make will be a plus of course! Lol. Our main income is from 2 poultry layer barns but I have the land so I may as well run some cattle to bring in a little extra income.

Latest posts