Longhorn Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit":39xokzq5 said:
I don't see the need for them myself. Is low birth weight a longhorns only claim to fame?

Naw they bring a few things to the table.

That's why I like using the Longhorns as momma cows. That seems to work better then bulls. We have some close to sell time and they weight over 400 pounds but our market is dropping as well so I hope I'm not mad at sale time

highgrit":lzcyv9r1 said:
I don't see the need for them myself. Is low birth weight a longhorns only claim to fame?

Heart Doctors are telling their patients they can eat LH meat.

Charolais and Red Mashona crosses are doing well, but we are getting dry. Hope we get a little grass growth from the predicted rain this weekend. Still disappointed in the Black Angus crosses and the black Mashona crosses are skunk backs.

Its bad dry here as well. We are already having to feed hay in one of our pastures. Our Black Angus crosses didn't do very well either. We had one that grew really good and did good at the barn but the other two were skunk back steers and do grow worth a flip. The Charolais crosses are growing really good as well. Our prices are down really bad right now but are starting to go back up. I'm hoping we sell a good few calves tomorrow.

As of today, I don't have a LH on my place, none to rope even. Got a few heifers bred that way. Gonna to take off till spring.

Well this thread has been quite for a while maybe we can wake it up with some more Longhorn talk. Had an expierience with a Longhorn heifer a few days ago.....lets just say my dad and I got in a fight with one lol. She was having trouble calving and when it was all said and done we finally got the calf out but not without a lot of bumps and bruises. She hit me once in my stomach with her head and threw me into the gator lol. On top of it all she didn't take the calf so now I have me a new pet. The calf wasn't To big of a calf about 70-75 pounds.....the heifer just wasn't very big where she needed to be big. The not taking the calf part I think is our fault because we had her so worked up and mad and she was in so much pain from trying to calve. Haven't decided if I am going to sell her or not but will think hard on it....being a heifer and a Longhorn I feel like I should give her another shot....she did technically have a live calf even though I'm the momma instead of her lol. Just thought I would share this story to try and get this thread going again and to get opinions on the matter....always good to get other opinions.

Big Cheese":2xkpa3jn said:
Well this thread has been quite for a while maybe we can wake it up with some more Longhorn talk. Had an expierience with a Longhorn heifer a few days ago.....lets just say my dad and I got in a fight with one lol. She was having trouble calving and when it was all said and done we finally got the calf out but not without a lot of bumps and bruises. She hit me once in my stomach with her head and threw me into the gator lol. On top of it all she didn't take the calf so now I have me a new pet. The calf wasn't To big of a calf about 70-75 pounds.....the heifer just wasn't very big where she needed to be big. The not taking the calf part I think is our fault because we had her so worked up and mad and she was in so much pain from trying to calve. Haven't decided if I am going to sell her or not but will think hard on it....being a heifer and a Longhorn I feel like I should give her another shot....she did technically have a live calf even though I'm the momma instead of her lol. Just thought I would share this story to try and get this thread going again and to get opinions on the matter....always good to get other opinions.

I try not to keep one that doesn't have a calf on it. I sometimes break that rule. If the heifer isn't to crazy to handle, you could try pushing them off on each other.

Good to be back TennesseeTuxedo. I agree Bigfoot. I don't want to keep a cow that wont take a calf but I feel like us having to intervene so much that that caused her not to take it. Shes only a heifer and this was her first calf so I don't want to just jump and say get rid of her. She is usually really calm and collective. I don't mind having a pet calf for a while lol

I hauled the calves from my first calf heifers today. 590 pound average. 7-10 months old. For weaning weights on 1st calf heifers. I was pleased. More had horns, than I would like to have seen. The charlois/horned hereford cross heifers all threw horned calves.

Brother sold a dozen 5 weight LH bull calves last week at the barn. Right at a dollar a pound.

HDRider":1n34p6tz said:
Brother sold a dozen 5 weight LH bull calves last week at the barn. Right at a dollar a pound.
Yikes!!! Last week I watched a small group of skunk steer calves (330lbs) sold for $1.40 per lbs. That's $1.00 less than what other beef steers in same weight class are bringing...

Muddy":1ypgw31p said:
HDRider":1ypgw31p said:
Yikes!!! Last week I watched a small group of skunk steer calves (330lbs) sold for $1.40 per lbs. That's $1.00 less than what other beef steers in same weight class are bringing...
I know.

But,
It is almost free money. The cows were cheap and they just eat grass and grow.

Its difficult to find a cheap longhorn cow or a Corriente cow here but plenty of cheap LH/Corriente steers available.

Muddy":tjf3al6g said:
Its difficult to find a cheap longhorn cow or a Corriente cow here but plenty of cheap LH/Corriente steers available.
Just buy some of those "cheap" longhorn calves and raise your own cows.

TexasBred":29o6laxc said:
Muddy":29o6laxc said:
Just buy some of those "cheap" longhorn calves and raise your own cows.
Hasn't seen a heifer for sale for so long time. Something tells me they're retaining LH heifers and selling steers instead of selling the entire calf crop.

HDRider":1zob031j said:

We sold a LH steer that weighed 320 and brought $1.40 but then we sold two Black Balancer/LH cross steers....one solid black and another skunk back for $1.02 and $1.00...these prices have dropped a lot even on full beef calves. I'm got we got all of the black calves off of our place though only Charolais calves left from now on. Same day we sold those three we sold a Solid Yellow Charolais Corriente cross steer that weighed 360 and brought $2.02 so if that doesn't show somebody a difference nothing will lol.

Latest posts