Longhorn Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7":3k0uu68b said:
I'd be interested in seeing the calves out the char bull
We can't make up our mind. I talked to a professor at AS&M, he and his colleagues recommended Beefmaster and Brangus. So now we are thinking Lim-Flex and Brangus.

We have until June to make up our minds. We are trying to go black.

Why Limflex and why brangus? If you are trying to breed up I can see that working. If you are wanting calves to go to market use a Red Limousin or Char bull.

Red Bull Breeder":2eogcp3o said:
Why Limflex and why brangus? If you are trying to breed up I can see that working. If you are wanting calves to go to market use a Red Limousin or Char bull.

Thats what I was thinking also
I know a brangus bull on corriente type cows doesn't work to good

The idea is to produce commercial cows as first generation. The offspring, or second generation would be market calves. A black Angus is planned on the LH cross commercial cows.

The Aggie Doc thought getting a little Brahman into the commercial cows was important.

HDRider":2nq7lbu5 said:
The idea is to produce commercial cows as first generation. The offspring, or second generation would be market calves. A black Angus is planned on the LH cross commercial cows.

The Aggie Doc thought getting a little Brahman into the commercial cows was important.

Don't think you are guaranteed a black calf out of 1/2 LH cows.
As I stated earlier I get amazed by some of the colors that pop out of my neighbors down the road.
Those calves are 3/4 Angus.
I haven't seen any 3/4 Angus 1/4 LH crossed back to Angus but I willing to bet there will be anomolies that pop up
from time to time. The LH color gene is some stout stuff it doesn't play by the rules

HDRider":2t7rttj4 said:
cross_7":2t7rttj4 said:
We can't make up our mind. I talked to a professor at AS&M, he and his colleagues recommended Beefmaster and Brangus. So now we are thinking Lim-Flex and Brangus.

I have a PHD as well, if you ever need an expert opinion again. ( Poor Hungry and Desperate)

HDRider":1qfdwfx6 said:
cross_7":1qfdwfx6 said:

I've been putting a Beefmaster bull on my solid red Corrientes and have been getting along great. They don't take near as much watching during calving season. They seem to pop out and get up on the run. Really pleased with them.

Horseandcattle":3q17teq9 said:
HDRider":3q17teq9 said:
cross_7":3q17teq9 said:

I've been putting a Beefmaster bull on my solid red Corrientes and have been getting along great. They don't take near as much watching during calving season. They seem to pop out and get up on the run. Really pleased with them.
I think Longhorns and Corrientes are two different animals and they don't always give same results as the longhorns do. Just from my observation on the crossbreds. I would say that Corrientes are more solid colored than longhorns.

Red Bull Breeder":1pq054g8 said:
I think you got it figured out HD. Let her rip!!!
All I got figured out is I ain't figured out anything. But rip it will.

It is an experiment for sure. There is no body of knowledge on this that I have found.

This board has been helpful, but also confusing.

Academia has been helpful, but somewhat noncommittal.

I have been serious in my inquiry, and I appreciate the seriousness of the replies.

The price of replacement cows is high, maybe the highest in history. I am just trying to think outside the box, but sometimes there are a number of good reason there is a box.

To keep heifers I'd go Hereford or shorthorn. Then char or limo.
If I wanted heifers off the heifers I might but some ear in then. Would then go char or limo on them too.
On any of the heifers though on the first calf I'd go angus.
All the above would have worked better when longhorns were 250-300, not 1,000.

All a longhorn calf needs is more meat and more milk. The longhorn cow will take care off most of the things you need ear for. Char or red limousine bulls will bring more solid colored calves from a longhorn cow.

Red Bull Breeder":9cp7vwsr said:
All a longhorn calf needs is more meat and more milk. The longhorn cow will take care off most of the things you need ear for. Char or red limousine bulls will bring more solid colored calves from a longhorn cow.

It would make nice animals with some good traits.

Rather than run from the wild color, why not chase it. Put a contrasty/patchy roan shorthorn bull on them. Put a stamp on the offspring, make them look like shorthorns.

RPcattle":16s8stwb said:
Rather than run from the wild color, why not chase it. Put a contrasty/patchy roan shorthorn bull on them. Put a stamp on the offspring, make them look like shorthorns.
It won't work that way if you are selling them at the sale barn.

Been about three weeks. Them longhorns settled down, and figured out there home?

Bigfoot":39soan6l said:
Been about three weeks. Them longhorns settled down, and figured out there home?
They are very happy and settled in. Eating real good. This weather has been rough. We got about 6" of sleet. Dropped a couple of cuties, luckily both heifers. Them LHs are good mommas. No sure how many were pregnant when they showed up. That gives us 20 calves so far.

We should be bringing the big black Limo home soon.

HDRider":j3fhnrpi said:

He's home now getting ready for his ladies. He is about 2,000 # eating grass and Bermuda hay.

IMG_52561.jpeg

IMG_93191.jpeg

Latest posts