Longhorn Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

I saw that...

Next to it was http://www.cattlerange.com/309C270-201/309C270-201.html

Angus/Brangus & Black Baldies - $2,500.00 per pair
Longhorn with Charolais/LH calves - $1,700.00 per pair

Looking at the pictures the Charolais bull knocked the spots off pretty good. The spots seem to be the $ killer.

Charolais is a big bull. Can anyone speak to how a Charolais bull on a LH cow might effect LH calving ease?

HDRider":l3gr0wb7 said:
I watched the sale at Searcy Arkansas. Not being a expert, looking at 4 weight calves, those that had a LH look, (mottle, spots, etc) sold for about half of black baldies of the same weight. The LH influence barely broke a dollar, where the baldies were around $2.

Did I misread this, or do you all see the same?

This tells me the LH X needs to stay away from the barn and go to the freezer.
Yup I saw the same thing in few sale barns. Colored LH crosses doesn't do good in the sale barns.

I have posted the a pic of My LHxChar cross calf & it came out of a 1st time heifer.. Real easy birth.. Came to the land one day & she was hiding under a tree...

I think the Char bull on a LH momma is a good bet for your investment..

Charolais is a big bull. Can anyone speak to how a Charolais bull on a LH cow might effect LH calving ease?[/quote]

Not a problem. Enough calving ease comes from the LH to overcome the birth weight. Also shape of calf plays a big part. Keep in mind you are not going to wean a bunch of 700 pound calves either.

back2dfuture":2p58x91e said:
I have posted the a pic of My LHxChar cross calf & it came out of a 1st time heifer.. Real easy birth.. Came to the land one day & she was hiding under a tree...

I think the Char bull on a LH momma is a good bet for your investment..
Where did you post that pic?

Bigfoot":1ovgm7hw said:
Not a problem. Enough calving ease comes from the LH to overcome the birth weight. Also shape of calf plays a big part. Keep in mind you are not going to wean a bunch of 700 pound calves either.
My goal would be about 550# at weaning and around 900 to 1,000 # at a year. Does that sound reasonable?

back2dfuture":zobiucfz said:
here are a couple pics of my calf .. I took these today... Down my way in Cen-Tex... I notice a lot of LH crosses or dehorned LH...

calf31.jpg

calf11.jpg

I always screw up the pic posting on here SmH... if you want to see the pics better.. message me your email & I will send them SMH

Based on this discussion, I'd say a man could make a good start on a small operation with this..

http://www.cattlerange.com/310C347-201/310C347-201.html

Cow Information...
Number: 25 Head
Breed: Longhorn
Origin: Native
Est. Weight: 700 lbs. to 1,000 lbs.
Frame: Medium to Large
Condition: Moderate Flesh
Vaccinations: Ivomectrin
Horns: Horned
Bred Back To: Exposed to Longhorn & Corriente bulls year round
Pasture/Feed: Grass
Calf Information...
Number: 18+ Calves as of October 2nd
Sired By: Longhorn bull
Est. Weight: Average up to 350 lbs.
Frame: Small
Delivery Date: Available Now
Sell part or all: Buyer Takes All... Excluding Any Unmerchantable Cattle
Price: $1,000.00 per pair... Negotiable

I'm sure everyone noticed the price difference in the LH cows with charlois calves bred back to a charlois, and the LH with LH calves bred back LH. One option we didn't bring up is the calves value for roping. Around here LH cows are pretty scarce. I'm sure in parts of the country they are not. I would have no problem at all selling or leasing those calves for someone to rope. They wouldn't bring what beef calves are worth, but they would be worth more than they would at the stockyard.

HDRider":3m4xow86 said:
Based on this discussion, I'd say a man could make a good start on a small operation with this..

Cow Information...
Calf Information...
Too bad they're bred back LH and Corriente.

piedmontese, rather, I saw it giving one more LHs to breed back with the original cows plus the heifer calves.

piedmontese":32maanjd said:
HDRider":32maanjd said:

Cow Information...
Calf Information...
Too bad they're bred back LH and Corriente.

You could take those LH/Corriente calves & sell those as ropers for nothing less than 500.00 all day long. Then bred back to your bull of choice..

Increase in meat production? :shock:

I don't know if the longhorns can stop the Israeli cattle thieves if the thieves knew how to kill the cows.

Way back in this thread one of your stated goals was a grass fed freezer beef operation if I got it right. At what age do you think the LH crosses would have an acceptable amount of finish for a good eating experience ?
To me grass finishing is about much more than overall efficiency of production as you grapple with seasonal feed quality issues coupled with taste , tenderness, consistency that go into having repeat buyers.
I have very limited knowledge of LH and crosses with them but it seems unlikely you could get them "finished " before their second winter but someone is welcome to correct me if that is a wrong assumption.
cheers
Goddy

Latest posts