Longhorn bull on angus cows.

Help Support CattleToday:

Taurus":320ca844 said:
M5farm":320ca844 said:
We are Selling our ANGUS BULL, he is Healthy and Strong. He loves to Eat GRASS & HAY.

He is 1 & 1/2 years old and his Weight is Approx. 500 pounds. He is Not Registered.

they apparently don't give him much of it

this is funnier than the jokes page. I'm still laughing
Don't forget that he is HEALTHY and STRONG!!!!!! :lol:

you could buy him and start a new breed NO-LINE ANGUS

I'll say it... It's rediculous that a persons cows are so junky they have to run a Longhorn bull because they are worried about calving. Do us all a favor and make hamburger out of those cattle. Like that bull on Craigslist they have no business in the gene pool.

Longhorn has value here in the west.
We use them for several reasons.
Horns are great for self defense from predators. Ours go to the mountains and we have witnessed them fending off attacks from bears and lions.
The longhorn will range further for feed and water than straight Angus.
The longhorn does better at 10k elevation than anything else we have seen.
Our longhorn bull is for the heifers. It is nice to not worry.

No, we do not breed for single traits, we use what will work in our country. Longhorn had enough benefits that it is useful for us.

Oh yeah, they are beautiful.
IMG_20130424_170039_907_zps30bd9102.jpg

Brute 23":1wx52yg9 said:
I'll say it... It's rediculous that a persons cows are so junky they have to run a Longhorn bull because they are worried about calving. Do us all a favor and make hamburger out of those cattle. Like that bull on Craigslist they have no business in the gene pool.

Your signature line is fitting of this post.

Vaquero,

I use corriente, and longhorn bulls on heifers. I actually prefer a cross bull actually. Your fighting an uphill battle here trying to reason with people about doing it. I posted a picture of my heifer bull on here not too long ago. It didn't sit well with people. Fortunately, I don't give two pinches of owl shyt what people think.

NMVaquero":2pw4mrzz said:
Longhorn has value here in the west.
We use them for several reasons.
Horns are great for self defense from predators. Ours go to the mountains and we have witnessed them fending off attacks from bears and lions.
The longhorn will range further for feed and water than straight Angus.
The longhorn does better at 10k elevation than anything else we have seen.
Our longhorn bull is for the heifers. It is nice to not worry.

No, we do not breed for single traits, we use what will work in our country. Longhorn had enough benefits that it is useful for us.

Oh yeah, they are beautiful.
IMG_20130424_170039_907_zps30bd9102.jpg
Judging from your pictures in other thread, I can see why you need the longhorns in your environment because there's no way that other breeds can survive except the corrientes, Wastusi and Brahmans in your environment.....there's not much food for the cattle! Longhorns are better off in harsh environments than in environments with good forage...just saying.

Bigfoot":82g2fefa said:
Vaquero,

I use corriente, and longhorn bulls on heifers. I actually prefer a cross bull actually. Your fighting an uphill battle here trying to reason with people about doing it. I posted a picture of my heifer bull on here not too long ago. It didn't sit well with people. Fortunately, I don't give two pinches of owl shyt what people think.

Noted, and thank you.

Bigfoot":3r0inica said:
Vaquero,

I can see why it didn't sit well with people.

Taurus":t9u9njdc said:
I can see why it didn't sit well with people.

Why?

I do not see it myself.

Is it because of group:

1. Narrow mindedness?

2. Inexperience with other ways to make an operation work?

3. Angus blind?

4. Following the herd?

5. Unable to see someone else's way to make a living?

6. Read lots but have no practical experience?

7. Never been more than 50 miles from the place they were born?

8. Because Grandpa said so?

Or is it because if someone says it is wrong and the pack starts baying it is better to join in than go against the herd mentality?

LOL

LH fits into lots of places.

I figure Brahmans are ugly and useless pieces of schitte - at least in my area - but lots of people grow them for a reason. Would not work here but if they work it is far from my place to denigrate them and the people who run them.

Heck even that shaggy long haired Scotland cow has its place - and it would work here - but I bet it would fall apart in south Florida.

In the end there are a lot of big hat / small cattle folks here who bark a lot - but in reality would fall flat on their face if they had to make a living on the animals they claim to raise.

Oh, LH works well on the SH cattle my neighbour runs in north east Alberta as well.

Wait a minute!

I think I do get it - it is because Bigfoot has an attitude!

Yeah man - I do get it.

What in the heck WAS I thinking? LOL

Hope everyone has a nice evening

Cheers

Bez

snake67 said:
I think I do get it - it is because Bigfoot has an attitude!

I'm actually a smart alec with a bad sense of humor. That's completely different than a bad attitude.

Dont misunderstand me... Longhorns have their place... But if you can run a herd of Angus mommas... You can run an Angus bull. Trying to justify the Longhorn bull by saying you cant find any thing else for sale or its for calving ease is where we call BS. ;-)

... And to quote the original question....
and have never seen a cross between a longhorn bull and angus cow so i was wondering peoples take in this and how the offspring turns out with meat production.

You asked and you got an answer... Now dont cry if its not what you wanted to hear. Your free to do what ever you heart desires... Just dont bring weak excuses not expect to get called out.