Longhorn bull on angus cows.

Help Support CattleToday:

farmhand20

Reaction score
Ok so its been some years since ive breed some cattle most of what we used on the farm i worked on back then were angus herdford and their cross breed. I have the ablity to get my hands on my pick of a few longhorn bulls and have never seen a cross between a longhorn bull and angus cow so i was wondering peoples take in this and how the offspring turns out with meat production.

That is breeding backwards, just go with what you know and buy a good hereford bull for the angus cows

i agree with Knersie, if you were breeding hefeirs with the longhorn for calving ease try to find a solid colored one

I have a question - why would you even think about doing this? Longhorns lack the muscling that most producers are trying to put on their cattle and their growth in feedyards is slower which means it cost more to feed them.

Usually it's a Black Angus bull on longhorn cows to beef up the calves or a Longhorn bull on Angus heifers for low birthweight calves. But you won't get any quality calves out of this cross and the calves may not become what you want them to be.

Since you are in meat production, then longhorn bulls ain't right bull for the job.

Lmao cause this is not the way I make a living it's a expensive hobby that i do since ten years ago in high school. And the fact that's bout all I have seen for sake here in eastern va. Most agriculture has died out and what people do do have don't have a price that's worth it's weight. 5 grand is way out my price range for any animal. Like I said a hobby.

Longhorn cattle can put on weight even on extremely poor range, but don't put on as much as Angus with good range. The only time you should consider crossing the two is if you have poor quality range and you want to get better gains on your cattle. If you have poor range, Angus don't do well, and longhorns wont gain much even on good pasture. But the cross will do better on poor pasture. I would try one on a few cows if you are interested, rather than breed a large number. But if you have decent pasture I'd stay away from the longhorns.

farmhand20":m3kg4ok8 said:
Lmao cause this is not the way I make a living it's a expensive hobby that i do since ten years ago in high school. And the fact that's bout all I have seen for sake here in eastern va. Most agriculture has died out and what people do do have don't have a price that's worth it's weight. 5 grand is way out my price range for any animal. Like I said a hobby.

In that case "yes the longhorn will work...as will any other bull that will breed cattle". :cowboy:

Dakotaslim":a60zuf6t said:
Longhorn cattle can put on weight even on extremely poor range, but don't put on as much as Angus with good range. The only time you should consider crossing the two is if you have poor quality range and you want to get better gains on your cattle. If you have poor range, Angus don't do well, and longhorns wont gain much even on good pasture. But the cross will do better on poor pasture. I would try one on a few cows if you are interested, rather than breed a large number. But if you have decent pasture I'd stay away from the longhorns.
Why need a Longhorn bull if you have extremely poor range? Just use a Continental bull or a very good British bull on the longhorn cows on extremely poor range and even Longhorn x Angus crosses won't gain very much even on a good pasture as well and the crosses may fell apart on extremely poor range.

The only time you use longhorns in meat production is when the longhorn cows were bred to a Continental bull such as Charolais, Limo and Belgian Blue.

farmhand20":3cv4lm01 said:
expensive hobby?? especially using a longhorn....the bull aint the place to skimp on.. its actually leaving money on the table...

I am a hobby guy like you, and I used a longhorn bull on angus heifers and cows a couple years ago. Out of 8 females I ended up with 9 calves and every one hit the ground running and I had no problems whatsoever. Sure some of the calves were colored funny and they weren't super thick but for a hobby guy like myself I was happy. I just got done eating a longhorn cross roast and by golly it was delicious and my neighbors will tell you the same. I wouldn't discourage you from sticking with your plan.

ohiosteve":oibsip6e said:
I am a hobby guy like you, and I used a longhorn bull on angus heifers and cows a couple years ago. Out of 8 females I ended up with 9 calves and every one hit the ground running and I had no problems whatsoever. Sure some of the calves were colored funny and they weren't super thick but for a hobby guy like myself I was happy. I just got done eating a longhorn cross roast and by golly it was delicious and my neighbors will tell you the same. I wouldn't discourage you from sticking with your plan.
Bet the other breed of the cross were very helpful to make meat more delicious.

farmhand20":1i1mt26g said:

You can spend 5 grand on a longhorn bull too. You would be better off with a Hereford on angus cows.

farmhand20":25mm5rxo said:

I'm wondering how you can get angus cows, but there are no angus bulls.

I poked around on craigslist and saw an assortment of bulls in Virginia for cheap. Granted, some are not great, but some were good, and most for 2,000 or less. It would be worth driving a few hours to get a better bull than sticking with whatever you can get locally.

Don't get this 18 month angus bull that is a whopping 500 pounds, even though he has the added feature of "liking to eat hay and grass!"
http://smd.craigslist.org/grd/3740825949.html

TennesseeTuxedo":41z106gf said:
That is the most pathetic thing I think I have ever seen on this board. That little bull is pitiful.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I had to chuckle at the little fella myself!!

We are Selling our ANGUS BULL, he is Healthy and Strong. He loves to Eat GRASS & HAY.

He is 1 & 1/2 years old and his Weight is Approx. 500 pounds. He is Not Registered.

they apparently don't give him much of it

this is funnier than the jokes page. I'm still laughing

M5farm":2e07mnlu said:
We are Selling our ANGUS BULL, he is Healthy and Strong. He loves to Eat GRASS & HAY.

He is 1 & 1/2 years old and his Weight is Approx. 500 pounds. He is Not Registered.

they apparently don't give him much of it

this is funnier than the jokes page. I'm still laughing
Don't forget that he is HEALTHY and STRONG!!!!!! :lol:

Latest posts