Long or Thick

Help Support CattleToday:

Let's dispel the extraneous and irrelevant verbiage, and agree on a few basic rhetorical terms. Semantics, and the MEANINGS of words and terms are important in understanding discussions. To me, LONG refers to the length of an animal, viewed from the side, from the withers (spinous process of the 7th Cervical vertebra) to the Hooks, or Hip Bones (crests of the llia), OR, if overall length is the subject under discussion, from one end (nose) to the other (tail head). Now - if we are in agreement with these 'working hypotheses', then it follows that "SHORT" is the affirmative opposite of LONG. The term "THICK", or "THICKNESS", (also WIDTH) refers to the area between the left side of the animal and the right side of the animal - observed from behind or in front of the animal - NOT observed from the top line to the bottom of the belly (viewed from the side). The term "DEPTH" refers to the dimensions considered from the top line to the bottom of the belly viewed from the side, (or to the particular body part under discussion - loin, hindquarters, etc.).

Having said all of the above, and - hopefully - we are all functioning on the same page, perhaps we will be able to visualize an image of an animal seen from the same perspective! :nod:

These requisites may alleviate misunderstandings. :clap:

DOC HARRIS

I typically will select for thickness and girth first, but I've come to realize in that last 10 years, through our connection with the retail side of the carcass, that length is critical also. A friend who has some meat shops in Calgary saw one of my herd bulls, whom I was very proud of, and he said he's too short coupled. I argued that he just appeared that way b/c of his girth. 4 calf crops later, and several dozen carcasses processed, and I can see that he was right. The bull needed a little more length, and it would've transmitted into several more pounds per carcass of high-dollar cuts.

We now strive to keep the thickness and girth, while achieving adequate length. Optimal word being - ADEQUATE.

Latest posts