long live Ram

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":3hkqxw88 said:
TB, I'm mostly just playing around with all my Dodge-Fiat driving buddies here but I do want to point out that Ford Super Duty trucks are proudly built in Louisville, KY less that one hour from our place.
Really?? Last one I bought had a rattle in the door. Finally took the panel off the door and found an empty half pint of Canadian Mist. :lol2: :lol2:

TexasBred":181fig99 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":181fig99 said:
TB, I'm mostly just playing around with all my Dodge-Fiat driving buddies here but I do want to point out that Ford Super Duty trucks are proudly built in Louisville, KY less that one hour from our place.
Really?? Last one I bought had a rattle in the door. Finally took the panel off the door and found an empty half pint of Canadian Mist. :lol2: :lol2:

They sell that in KY but no self respecting Kentuckian would be caught drinking it. Must have been a transplant from someplace else.

TexasBred":33hdcad4 said:
cfpinz":33hdcad4 said:
The Dodge trucks are rather disappointing from a quality standpoint compared to a Ford, but the Cummins engine is better suited to towing than any other pickup engine I've driven. Ford has really dropped the ball in recent years, I'd like to see a market share detail on the 3/4 and 1 ton diesel segment sales for the past few years, I'd bet it reflects differently than the charts quoted above.

Truck sales for 2014:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/09/be ... -2014.html

It doesn't list the percentage of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Ford must make a great 1/2 truck, I see a lot of them on the road. But when you get to the heavier duty diesel pickups Ford has lost a bunch of customers. I can't seem to find the site at the moment, but I read where Ford lost 27% of the diesel truck market since 2004.

"F-series" includes all their trucks--not just F-150.
2012:
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/02/wh ... -2012.html
2013:
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/04/wh ... -2013.html
2014:

2015:
Thanks to some deep diving into the monthly and 2015 year-to-date pickup truck sales numbers by our data experts at Cars.com, we've been able to pull out some interesting segment sales data. (Manufacturers do not break down their pickup truck sales by weight class.) Here's what our analysis found: In the half-ton marketplace, the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 has higher sales so far this year than the perennial class leader, the Ford F-150. That's big news and could hurt overall F-Series sales if that trend continues.

Given that information, how is Ford still so far ahead in monthly and year-to-date total sales?

The simple answer is heavy-duty truck sales, meaning three-quarter-ton and one-ton trucks. Although typically nowhere near the half-ton sales volume, the HD market is substantial and profitable. As you can see from the accompanying charts, this is how Ford is maintaining its lead on the other truckmakers while slipping a bit in half-ton category. Ford is so dominant with its F-250 and F-350 sales that even when combining Chevy and GMC HD numbers, they still don't come close to the Ford Super Duty.
And it should be noted that Ram does a solid job of selling its HD trucks, coming in second place in each of our charts.

highgrit":1p763l3y said:
TexasBred":1p763l3y said:
cfpinz":1p763l3y said:
The Dodge trucks are rather disappointing from a quality standpoint compared to a Ford, but the Cummins engine is better suited to towing than any other pickup engine I've driven. Ford has really dropped the ball in recent years, I'd like to see a market share detail on the 3/4 and 1 ton diesel segment sales for the past few years, I'd bet it reflects differently than the charts quoted above.

Truck sales for 2014:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/09/be ... -2014.html

It doesn't list the percentage of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Ford must make a great 1/2 truck, I see a lot of them on the road. But when you get to the heavier duty diesel pickups Ford has lost a bunch of customers. I can't seem to find the site at the moment, but I read where Ford lost 27% of the diesel truck market since 2004.

Not surprising. Our company trucks are going in one by one now for dust on the sensor in the air intake. We change them every 5K miles when the oil is changed. Dealer says it should be as needed and is trying not to warranty it.

So if you have a Ford diesel make sure you have a pile of air filters and change them more often than 5K miles. Oh ya... and the have to be Ford filters. Imagine that. :roll:

Dodge is getting railroaded on this. Problem started with the GM truck ignition that killed a lot of people. GM tried to cover up their mistake and not report it to the gov't by replacing all the defective parts with new parts labelled with the same part number so when these parts hit the dealer's parts shelves they were mixed with all the defective ones and those defective in the vehicles couldn't be identified because they all had the same number. NHTSA caught it on the chin for not punishing GM for this but GM successfully argued that was the old management and not the new and the new management was blameless.

If anyone has the right to use this defense its Dodge since most of the vehicles in question were built before Fiat bought them out. Basically this whole thing amounts to is these older trucks in question do not meet today's safety standards BUT THEY DID WHEN THEY WERE BUILT. Most have had recalls on them for some time and the NHTSA will insure that those people who refused to take responsibility and take their vehicles in to the shop to have the recall work done will be given some cash and be rewarded for being irresponsible. Others will be inconvenienced because their vehicle no longer meets today's safety standards.

Whether you are a Dodge fan or not just think about this for a minute. The government creates a standard for you to build a product by then a few years later when times and technology change the manufacturer is held responsible for these aged products not meeting the new standards. And people wonder why we are losing our manufacturers in this country.

Jogeephus":1mi5camc said:
Dodge is getting railroaded on this. Problem started with the GM truck ignition that killed a lot of people. GM tried to cover up their mistake and not report it to the gov't by replacing all the defective parts with new parts labelled with the same part number so when these parts hit the dealer's parts shelves they were mixed with all the defective ones and those defective in the vehicles couldn't be identified because they all had the same number. NHTSA caught it on the chin for not punishing GM for this but GM successfully argued that was the old management and not the new and the new management was blameless.

If anyone has the right to use this defense its Dodge since most of the vehicles in question were built before Fiat bought them out. Basically this whole thing amounts to is these older trucks in question do not meet today's safety standards BUT THEY DID WHEN THEY WERE BUILT. Most have had recalls on them for some time and the NHTSA will insure that those people who refused to take responsibility and take their vehicles in to the shop to have the recall work done will be given some cash and be rewarded for being irresponsible. Others will be inconvenienced because their vehicle no longer meets today's safety standards.

Whether you are a Dodge fan or not just think about this for a minute. The government creates a standard for you to build a product by then a few years later when times and technology change the manufacturer is held responsible for these aged products not meeting the new standards. And people wonder why we are losing our manufacturers in this country.

That's about the gist of it Jo, but to clarify, the recalls on the trucks were legitimate and aren't really new. The recall on Ram 3/4 Ton trucks has been in effect since 2013 for example. This is why the 500,000 vehicle tally originally reported wasn't correct and only approximately 150,000 will be affected by the announcement.

The recalls on the 20 year old Jeeps, however, is a major point of contention which you've outlined. How can a government agency set a standard, then 20 years later when standards are more stringent, expect the manufacturer to meet a standard that wasn't in existence when they produced a product. Using that logic, the NHTSA that should be equally liable for not setting the standard 20 years ago at the level they are today. It even made jalopnik's 10 most ridiculous recalls:
http://jalopnik.com/the-ten-most-ridicu ... 1682535784

As far as the buy-backs, normally they'll establish a base value for your vehicle model, trim and age, then deduct for mileage (I'm guessing around 25 cents per mile). So if you're in the million mile club on your Cummins, you won't be getting much in the way of a buy back.

In any case, the whole thing stinks of taking media attention away from another failed government agency (NHTSA), not fixing any real issues.

If your idea of fun is watching paint dry, you can read the official report on how negligent the NHTSA was in the GM recalls here:
https://www.oig.dot.gov/sites/default/f ... -18-15.pdf

That would be about the same thing as the NFL coming back and saying field goals were no longer acceptable scores. Wonder what the Giants fans would think of the NFL if they did that and awarded Super Bowl XXV to Buffalo. Its crazy but I guess someone needs a job.

Jogeephus":yg72i0o4 said:
That would be about the same thing as the NFL coming back and saying field goals were no longer acceptable scores. Wonder what the Giants fans would think of the NFL if they did that and awarded Super Bowl XXV to Buffalo. Its crazy but I guess someone needs a job.
Jo I agree with you to a point
The main reason for the ordered BUY BACK is this part was defective and therefore a recall was ordered and the part that Dodge replaced it with has failed as nuch if not more than the original re called part
Then they offered another part to use as the replacement but they have had a problem obtaining this new part in the quantity that was needed to replace all the defective ones out there
They were given the chance time and time again to fix this problem but some how and somewhere the ball got dropped and so now the NHTSA has ordered them to do the buyback and then once the vehicles are fixed with a suitable part Ram can resell these vehicles
I spoke with a Dosge dealer today and so far the Dealers have received no information or guidelines on how to proceed with this buyback so as far as the dealers go it doesn't exist yet

A few weeks ago Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne was trying to convince GM to take Chrysler of off of Fiat hands.

I've had 2 recalls on my 2012 ram 3500 4x4.It's been on the repair list for 7 months now, at Alexander dodge in Albertville, Al. Have called 6 times over the 7 month period. They say they can't get the part. Called the number on the recall paper to tell them about the dodge place up here. They told me not to worry about the recall, I should be getting a letter from Chrysler anytime now. Wanting to buy my truck back. They ask for my vin number and mileage. Told me my truck was in the buy back program. Said he couldn't elaborate on it, just wait till they contact me. Went to Cullman Dodge, ask the salesman about it. He said Chrysler would offer a butt load of incentives plus 10 percent to trade trucks. But wouldn't just cut me a check and me walk out. He said that's what he was told. My truck just has 34000 miles on it. I Looked at a new one just like it. $64000. If they buy mine back,I'm going to buy a small farm, crap on a new truck.

Latest posts