Ram Pump

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Does anyone use one of these for providing water to your cattle and what are your thoughts? I have a spot I would like to use one, but the creek floods quite frequently and I am worried about the pump and pipe washing away.

About a mile from me a guy used one for several years. I went and looked it over a couple times and the guy was glad to show it and explain everything in depth. I am sure KT will be familiar with this system as the guy was a close neighbor of his at one time.

You will need somebody smarter than me on those, but I remember some about it. First you have to have a pretty good water flow with enough drop to build up enough pressure to make the ram work. His water flow started out like an 8" pipe and when it got to the ram it was a 1" pipe to make a lot of pressure. His drop was like 30 feet+ from the head of the water to the ram pump. The noise from it, if living close, could be annoying. His was in operation for several years and he told me there was a seal in it that had to be replaced often. The guy passed away last year at 88 yo. but I talk with his son often and not long ago I ask him about the pump and he said they no longer use it. He had a storage tank at the top of the hill that the pump fed continuously and when the pump was running I remember driving by the storage tank and the water was overflowing and the pump was non stop going.

His spring that fed the pump was above the creek running into the creek and he had the ram in a place were flooding was not an issue.

Latest posts