Loaned a trailer out

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook

Reaction score
A small one light town in central florida
No good deed goes unpunished right. Loaned a flatbed trailer with ramps out for someone to go pick up a broke down car. I wasn't home when they came and got it. Wake up this morning and see something odd. The back gate post is leaning. Yep, they whacked it and didn't bother to tell me. Broke off a 6" post that was structurally sound. They bungee corded it to the gate to keep the cows in at least. Can't wait to see the trailer :bang: :bang:

I don't borrow anything and I don't loan out anything.

Had it been me, I would have gone and picked up their broke down car for them but I don't loan out. Have had several requests to borrow chainsaws, digging equipment, trailers or trucks. I always go do it with them or for them.

Hook":mijn09tu said:
No good deed goes unpunished right.

That is the story of my life. :roll:

My second cousin is always borrowing my flatbed or stock trailer. Always comes back with bent door, mashed fender, trailer plug drug on the ground, lost hubcap, etc.

They used my stock trailer to haul their calves to the sale. Their uncle who lives on the same place has a brand new trailer that has never had any livestock in it. Only thing he has ever hauled in it is corral and windbreak materials. Needless to say the uncle (my first cousin) is a horse person and ultra clean freak to boot.

I never asked why they need to keep borrowing my trailer to haul their calves when his brand new trailer is sitting at their place, because I know why.

Yes, I'm a sucker. :roll:

I have one neighbor that I will loan stuff to and he has one neighbor he will loan stuff to. Sure works out handy that it's each other.

I guess that they were hoping that you didn't notice. it is pretty sorry that they didn't call and tell you that it happened.

I hate to loan out things, but I do. I just about want borrow anything. I loaned some stirrups and fenders to a guy last year. I want buy a youth saddle. I buy a small adult saddle, and a second set of youth fenders. In the end it's cheaper. I loaned a really good friend the adult stirrups and fenders for my sons ammerman roping saddle. My son is long legged, and out growed the youth set. When I called my "buddy" to get the adult set back-----------Guess what. He had sold his saddle with my fenders on it. I called him this week to get them. He said he sold them about a year ago. He didn't have them hardly anytime. I couldn't believe my ears. The friendship is more valuable to me than leather, so I just got over it.

bear":2gksdlr9 said:
I don't borrow anything and I don't loan out anything.

Had it been me, I would have gone and picked up their broke down car for them but I don't loan out. Have had several requests to borrow chainsaws, digging equipment, trailers or trucks. I always go do it with them or for them.

I'm the same way. There's a reason I have what equip. I own. I need it to run this horse and pony show.

fitz

I'm with Bear.. I don't borrow and I don't loan, except to a couple good friends that I know I can trust with my stuff.... I will go and help someone out with my equipment if need be as well... No one wrenches on my vehicle either without me being there.

Years ago we loaned out the transport chain on our 1002 stackliner because the neighbor's broke... well, for some reason when we got it back and put it on our machine, it would always break!, and that's a $400 piece of chain too

Hubby was helping a friend haul his calves to the sale ring, he had the borrowed trailer and of course he bounces a deer off the driver side fender and blew a tire. Hubby and his friend split the cost of the tire and fixed the fender.

No longer loan our trailer to the cousin. After they re-wired our plug they backed into something and busted the tail lights on one side.

We refuse to loan anything out after getting it back broke and no offer to fix it.

I've had to recover my on loan property at a pawn shop once. It's amazing what you learn about "friends" when they start borrowing your stuff.
Very good friend at the time (15 years ago) wanted to take his girlfriend to a remote spot on the river. A 4 wheel drive rig is a must to get there. I loaned them a K5 Blazer. They probably got drunk and naked, but definitely drunk. Cause a sober person doesn't forget to take it out of low range 4WD before starting out on 35 mile highway journey back home. :bang:
Fence post are cheap hook. ;-) That why friends don't let friends drive our shyt :lol:
It's like this; that was a great lesson. Kinda like loaning a friend $20 and never seeing it again. Best $20 ever spent

I did raise hell. Here's the sad part. It was my dad. I don't talk to him because he's an ass. But my mom (sweetheart) asked and I can't say no to her. I or it fixed this morning early. It just reinforces my position and opinion of him. What's even sadder is he blamed the trailer. Said it tracks to one side. It doesn't. It's just wide and he's just a fool that can't drive with a trailer.

For people that want to borrow trailers and such, I point them to a rental place that has just what they need. It is not any more expensive to rent one than it is to fix my stuff if they damage it.
Same goes for me. If I need something only once, I rent it. (Realizing the value of another s equipment and what it takes to maintain it.)

i wont loan anything out nor will i borrow stuff.if theres an exception its a real good friend i trust.

Hook":9m8jsgqk said:
I did raise be nice. Here's the sad part. It was my dad. I don't talk to him because he's an ass. But my mom (sweetheart) asked and I can't say no to her. I or it fixed this morning early. It just reinforces my position and opinion of him. What's even sadder is he blamed the trailer. Said it tracks to one side. It doesn't. It's just wide and he's just a fool that can't drive with a trailer.

Turn it in to their liability insurance and see if it will pay for fixing your fence. Not sure it will pay for trailer but should pay for fixing fence. Be sure to charge as much as commercial fence company will charge. Get policy info from your mom and call it in yourself. Just leave him in the dark over it as long as possible. Even if trailer tracks crooked, it's the drivers responsibility to keep it out of the fence. That's what mirrors are for. Hope you took pictures before fixing.

Ouachita":11xlnjwm said:
I've had to recover my on loan property at a pawn shop once. It's amazing what you learn about "friends" when they start borrowing your stuff.
Very good friend at the time (15 years ago) wanted to take his girlfriend to a remote spot on the river. A 4 wheel drive rig is a must to get there. I loaned them a K5 Blazer. They probably got drunk and naked, but definitely drunk. Cause a sober person doesn't forget to take it out of low range 4WD before starting out on 35 mile highway journey back home. :bang:
Fence post are cheap hook. ;-) That why friends don't let friends drive our shyt :lol:
It's like this; that was a great lesson. Kinda like loaning a friend $20 and never seeing it again. Best $20 ever spent

My friends dairy farmer friend had loaned out a disc once, and then saw it at the auction! with a new paint job, the guy he loaned it to had sold his place, didn't return the disc, and the next owner painted it and put it in the auction.

Nesikep":1vxj7ncu said:
Ouachita":1vxj7ncu said:

My friends dairy farmer friend had loaned out a disc once, and then saw it at the auction! with a new paint job, the guy he loaned it to had sold his place, didn't return the disc, and the next owner painted it and put it in the auction.

So what happened?

In my case I had to pay $200 to get my $500 chainsaw out of hock. On the K5 Blazer deal, the friend "couldn't afford to help me", and somehow justified that he shouldn't have to anyway because the girlfriend was also a friend of mine (we graduated HS the same year) and she was driving :roll: They both remarked that it wouldn't go over 45mph on the way back home. They smoked the engine and the tranny

Latest posts