Loading stories: lets hear em

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Were taking some 3/1s in tomorrow so i got the wife and kids to help me sort and load. Need to leave out at dark so were loading tonight and haying and watering.
Theres one spot in the pen that jumpers like so i ask the wife to stand in front of it. So she ducks under a panel and just as she does i goose her. What does she do? Falls to her knees right there. And right there happens to be a nail sticking straight up out the ground. We missed that one somehow when we built this pen.
Took a minute before she realized that she had been stuck.

What yours?

I bought some heavies. One of them was out of control. Busted fence and got into the neighbor's herd. Fixed the fence and wanted to load her. Boss lady wanted to keep her. We went through it all again. The next time I caught her she was going to the sale. Cow was mad and butting at me. She'd try to come over the cut gate and I would pull it to me so that she'd hit the top of it. I'd but her back. Mostly gaining a few inches at a time. Finally got her where I needed her and needed a gate opened to get her into the chute and trailer.

The boss lady has her cell phone and mine too. One in each hand with 911 already dialed. All she has to do is hit "send." I asked, "what the heck?" Why BOTH phones. She says in case something goes wrong with one of them.

She's scared to death of cows. Especially wild eyed witches like this one. She's good from the truck if the truck is parked way away from everything and I cannot hear her.

Same thing happened with a feral hog once. Similar anyway. I was transfering. Needed a gate latched. Couldn't find her. She was all the way up in the cab of the Massey with the doors shut.

years ago we was loading a brimmersteins bull calf to sale.an some how i ended up in the loading ally.so the ally gate is opened,an here comes the big brimmerstein cow.so i climb the ally as fast as i can thinking she will run u8nder me.but some how got her turned before she went under me.

I bought a load of flat azz crazy cattle(that acted fine at the salesyard) this last fall and took them to my lower corrals that are only a few miles from the salesyard to work the calves and get everybody branded before I hauled them up the hill. I was done with the cows and had nearly had my butt handed to me a few times while doing them and had one that had jumped out that I was just getting set up to go out and retreive when my wife showed up with a few extra kids from our homeshool group that wanted to see how cowboys work.
The one that was out was on the fight BAD as was the load that I was about to stick on the trailer just to get them out of the way. I was waving and yelling at my wife to stay the !@#$ in the car and the goofy cow that was out locked on to me waving and yelling and literally jumped back into the coralls just to get to me for a fight. :help: I didn't know if I'd be able to load them or not on foot(those corrals aren't set up for horeseback work) but in the end all I had to do was get the trailer door open and get the !@#$ out of the way...
I told my wife afterwards that I've had alot of cattle jump a gate to get away from me and I've had alot of cattle that wanted to fight but jumping a gate to fight with me was a new one. :lol:

I dont have any loading stories but, years ago I was working for a local farmer and he gave me 2 heifers. Got them to the house, backed the trailer up to the pens and opened the doors. Out they came and never slowed down, went through the other side of the pen. At the time we had no other cows but the whole place was fenced. It was 2 weeks before they came out of the woods.

i hauled 5 head to the sale 2 weeks ago and on the way we blew a tire.we was only about 4 miles from the sale so we just went slow and kept goin.by the time we pulled into the parking lot the trailer was on fire and flames were coming up between the floorboards.them cows was going crazy.even after u pull into the sale u got about 300 yrds to get to the unloading chute.well we floored it and luckily there was no one in line to unload and the guys seen us and were ready.they was ready to get out.had my son jump back n and race up to the water hose and he got the fire out.lost 4 leaf springs,u-bolt,and of course ruined the rim.kinda funny now but wasnt at the time.

Had an neighbor that worked cattle all his life. He was working some big mamma tiger stripes and took a chance and got in the shute to move 'em and the gate behind him wasn't all the way closed. One got through and rolled him down the shute.
They named the local arena after him.
I waste a lot of time by not taking short cuts; however, I have some bad thoughts about laying on my back looking up at a cows belly and hearing the harp music start.

lynnmcmahan":2i97yb1s said:
Had an neighbor that worked cattle all his life. He was working some big mamma tiger stripes and took a chance and got in the shute to move 'em and the gate behind him wasn't all the way closed. One got through and rolled him down the shute.
They named the local arena after him.
I waste a lot of time by not taking short cuts; however, I have some bad thoughts about laying on my back looking up at a cows belly and hearing the harp music start.
I jumped a 7 foot corral fence last Sunday and never touched but one wrung with my boot sole. Landed on my back on the other side, just as she charged the fence and hit it for the second time. The whole way across the corrall I could feel her head an inch from my azz. If I only had a basketball goal in the corral at that moment I could finally say I could dunk.

Was helping my father-in-law load 3 cows. He had about a 20X20 pen with a 10' gate on one side and a walk-through gate leading to the chute on the other. While he was backing up the trailer, the cows went into the pen. Mother-in-law slammed the big gate shut and started yelling that they were in. The cows got excited. They and I saw that the small gate was open at just about the same time. I jumped in and started down the ramp doin about 95 as they were fightin to be the first one up the ramp and out. FIL had nailed a 2X6 flat across the top of the posts at the bottom of the ramp for a stiffening brace - right at 5'10" - I'm 6'. Double backflip with one-and-a-half twists - had to be an olympic 10, I saw the fireworks and everything! Broke my glasses, two black eyes and three stitches across the bridge of my nose - but they didn't get out!

Many years ago I followed three bulls into the trailer to close the cut gate .One of the bulls kicked the gate hit me in the head and chest, cracked my ribs busted my head . I was on the floor and the bulls turned and went back down the ally way.

Just as I was about to get on my feet one of my dogs reloaded the bulls .

Our cousin was loading his cows into a 2 ton truck and he grabbed the tail of one cow and twisted it up to get her loaded. Well that old cow got him back the best way she could. She started crapping on him. Now he was wearing loose bibs so all of her offering was going down the front of these bibs.

Now we were not loading calves for shipping we were running them through our scale. One steer got his head back trying to turn around so I reached through the planks and started slapping his nose. He threw his head up to turn it back around and pinned my arm to the wooden plank. Luckily he didn't break my arm. Our vet who was there checked it for me.

I loaded a couple yearling bulls in a trailer a few months ago . It was a couple days until the sale . So I was feeding and watering them and they had kicked their bucket to far from the back gate . So I pushed them to the front of the trailer and shut the deviding gate so I thought . When I turned my back one of them charged and hit the gate . They ran past me . So now I'm in the front and they are at the back gate . The trailer wasn't any where a corral and my wife can't hook the trailer to the truck . Besides she in the house and I'm stuck in the trailer . I was able to get the calm one back in the front and shut by him self . The other one was wild and pissed off . I had to open the divider gate and pull my self up on the roof bars and let him go under me . Luckly he didn't try to butt me and I was able to get the gate shut and latched this time .

i think i got the wild cow loading an working story that will top it.used to go with a friend to the sale barn to buy some cows.he bought 2 bred cows.backed in to load them,they came blowing down the ally into loading pen.this big guy about 6`6 shut gate,they spun around making him climb it fast.then he got enough guts to get back in an load emm.unloaded them in the pen at dark,set the squeeze chute up.all the while they was running at the fences blowing snott at us.finally got 1st cow in an worked.ready to turn out so me being smart i go jump in truck,i tell him to get in a safe as soon as he lets her out.he dont listen she hitts him in butt as he climbing squeeze chute.then she goes to the back of place.cow #2 samething that time he gets on top of chute.

Had a cow, who is a jumper, jump the gate and take off back into the pasture while trying to load them all to go to the bull..Foster Border Collie, fresh from the humane society and only at our house about 2 weeks takes off after her, heads her, bites her nose to turn her, then drives her back to the gate and holds her til we open it up to put her back in..

He wasnt a foster dog long after that incident..now a permanent resisdent.

Same cow as above..
Will not load on a trailer thru an alley..you have to HALTER her and lead her on..yep, she is quite the entertainment when we pick her up from the bull..embarassing as hell to my husband..

No loading stories here but one loaded story. Pulling a 32 ft. gooseneck trailer full of holstein cattle one day and ran over a mexican boy riding a bike. He had only learned to ride it a couple of days earlier. He raised one hand to wave and me and went on by...I looked in the mirror and all I saw was that bicycle tumbling behind me. Got out and ran to the back. He had a tire track on one forearm, both shoes knocked off and not a scratch. I did more damage to my "laundry" than that trailer did to him.

Nothing nearly so exciting happens at our place, for which I am grateful. Our cattle were quiet to start with and we want to keep them that way.

Hubby went to load out a steer for his "last ride". Ol' T-Bone got very agitated once he was cut out from the herd and in the pen by himself. Instead of loading into the trailer, he went over the side of the pen when hubby pushed him to step up and load. He was just using a sorting stick, no hot shot or nuthin. So now the steer is loose in the pasture. Hubby pulled the trailer away from the pen and out into the pasture, props the back gate open and puts in a bucket of grain. The durn steer loaded himself within the hour. Another testament to the "have a beer and wait" method...

TexasBred":3mn55xpg said:
No loading stories here but one loaded story. Pulling a 32 ft. gooseneck trailer full of holstein cattle one day and ran over a mexican boy riding a bike. He had only learned to ride it a couple of days earlier. He raised one hand to wave and me and went on by...I looked in the mirror and all I saw was that bicycle tumbling behind me. Got out and ran to the back. He had a tire track on one forearm, both shoes knocked off and not a scratch. I did more damage to my "laundry" than that trailer did to him.

:shock: What a sickening feeling that must have been when you saw the bike and it sunk in what happened. Glad the kid was all right. Even if it wasn't your fault, if he had been hurt bad or killed, heaven forbid, you would probably be haunted by that for life.

I was needing to do my first haul to the sale barn. Went out and found a good deal on a used stock trailer. Brought it home, went over it and everything seemed to be in good working order. The next Monday was big sale day.....oh man...yippie. I got the truck and trailer set up.....set up my sorting area.........set up my chute........then called in the few girls that I had. I had two old granny herefords that had to go. One loaded just as easy as can be the other did not like black top.....as I would come to realize. She would not cross the black top lane to load. So I just gave her time......but my time was running out and I needed to get to the sale barn. So with the help of a cheater pipe I literally scooted her across the black top. I guess that it was just too complicated to move the trailer?????Duhhhh. Anyway, got her to the grass on the other side and in she went. I followed behind her and closed the divider gate. Then went back and closed the back door and locked it down tight. I walked around, got into the truck, started her up and just as I popped the ebrake I looked out my passenger side mirror and there were the two grandma cows out of the trailer and heading off. I got out of the truck scratching my head. My frustrations grew as I learned that I forgot to check the side door to make sure it was secure. I left it unlocked and they blew out before I even got going. And that old cow that would not even step onto black top......well she was just a strolling her azz right down the middle of that black top without a concern. :lol2: Needless to say, they did not go to the sale barn that day. The first thing that I check now is the side door latch. Lesson learned.

Loaded stories: I was in a one ton with about ten heavy bred cows behind us, thankfully my boss at the time was driving that day, and we passed a little house at about 65mph where a twenty something was bent over tending to her flowerbeds and we shot that SOB right off the road into an alfalfa field gawking at the full bloom on those flowers. :mrgreen:

Latest posts