limo angus cross and birth weight

Help Support CattleToday:

tsmaxx47

Reaction score
I have a black limousine/angus cross bull in my pasture to breed my cows. what can I expect for birth weight from this cross? his sire was a registered black angus,

anything... without knowing details about the bull. from the breeds I wouldn't expect anything drastic either way though

I would bet you are safe on BW. I would say without seeing any epds or pedigrees, 80 lbs on bull calf 75 on heifers , some could be smaller , and a few may be a little bigger , other factors may contribute such as grass, and or feeding

The last 5 Lim-Flex calves born here were from 68-75 # (weighed on a scale) all heifers. The bull and cows were both calving ease parents.

The bull was a son of JCL Loadstar 27L.

Named'em Tamed'em":11rglt62 said:
The last 5 Lim-Flex calves born here were from 68-75 # (weighed on a scale) all heifers. The bull and cows were both calving ease parents.

The bull was a son of JCL Loadstar 27L.

thanx named'em - that's kind of what I was hoping for. the lim-flex was a rogue bull that found his way into our pasture and I don't have any experience with limosine so I didn't know what to expect. he's a pretty decent looking bull so I just decided to let him do his thing since the bull I have won't be a breeder till at least next spring. - nice lookin dog ya got there!

tsmaxx47":hhmvkun4 said:
Named'em Tamed'em":hhmvkun4 said:
The last 5 Lim-Flex calves born here were from 68-75 # (weighed on a scale) all heifers The bull and cows were both calving ease parents.

thanx named'em - that's kind of what I was hoping for.... I don't have any experience with limosine so I didn't know what to expect.

Bull calf average is heavier than heifers, plus it's an unknown Lim-Flex pedigree. I stand by my prediction of 80 lbs.

Son of Butch":rg3ls6lc said:
tsmaxx47":rg3ls6lc said:
Named'em Tamed'em":rg3ls6lc said:
The last 5 Lim-Flex calves born here were from 68-75 # (weighed on a scale) all heifers The bull and cows were both calving ease parents.

thanx named'em - that's kind of what I was hoping for.... I don't have any experience with limosine so I didn't know what to expect.

Bull calf average is heavier than heifers, plus it's an unknown Lim-Flex pedigree. I stand by my prediction of 80 lbs.

thanx for the info butch, the one cow has had six calves so I'm not worried about her, she's just too fat right now and with all this grass, I can't get her weight down. will have to do it over the winter. Thanx again, TMAX

KNERSIE":dzbklm1x said:
This thread has just about the most useless information I've ever come across on CT.
Well we have been kind of busy naming dogs and figuring out how calves come out....;)

Kingfisher":354fjcjc said:
KNERSIE":354fjcjc said:
This thread has just about the most useless information I've ever come across on CT.
Well we have been kind of busy naming dogs and figuring out how calves come out....;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

KNERSIE said:
This thread has just about the most useless information I've ever come across on CT.[/quote
sorry mr knersie, we'll try to screen our Q & A's so you don't waste your time with our pointless drivel......

He's absolutely right. You have an unknown bull in with your cows. You don't even know what breed it is, let alone have any idea about his calves. What makes you think you can guess the size of the resulting calves if he manages to breed your cows?

M.Magis":1x3a1onr said:
He's absolutely right. You have an unknown bull in with your cows. You don't even know what breed it is, let alone have any idea about his calves. What makes you think you can guess the size of the resulting calves if he manages to breed your cows?

Exactly!

from the information I have received; are the calves going to be 90 lbs? - probably not. are the calves going to be 60 lbs.? - probably not. will the calves be between 65 and 80 lbs? most likely and that is good enough for my purposes as I have no experience with limflex. clear enough for you?

Part ~50% more or less, of the calf size will depend on the genes of the mother. Hard to say with just the bull's breed. Hopefully they will be fine since he is doing the breeding regardless, and the dams are what they are.

Latest posts