Lightning :-(

Help Support CattleToday:

Well that sucks pretty bad.. Cows don't have much smarts when it comes to standing under trees during lightning storms do they? Sorry about the losses.

This is the old cow pasture but we do have a few young ones mixed in. This was a 2010 cow, why oh why wasnt it the 2000 cow with the bum foot...or the dink calf? The red heifer was really starting to look like a keeper. And of course, the largest steer had to be there. That is 3 steers out of this pasture trashed...ugh

That one is almost here. This one popped up as we were moving the hay equipment back home yesterday. It was a tiny little downpour just west of us way off in the distance. Husband grabbed his fishing gear and headed out after we got everything moved. He said he was walking across the pasture and heard thunder...then a few drops, then the bottom fell out. He was then called to get a tree off the highway, fire department call, but he couldnt get down our road. We had straight line winds that sounded like a tornado, so i ran to the storm shelter like a scared little kid. I could hear banging and every thunder clap rattled our shelter... Pretty scary and we had no time to prepare.
And i want to point out that while driving down our very dusty road to finish raking hay yesterday around noon under a clear sky, i saw a salamander crossing the road. If you see a water turtle crossing the road, that means rain and is almost 100% correct. I asked my husband, if a water turtle means rain, what does a salamander mean..lol....well we know now..

That is terrible! I am so very sorry. I have a fear of that every time we have lightning. It struck a pine tree in our pasture in early summer, if any had been under it they would be gone. Years ago my daddy had lightning to kill two of his cows. They do not know any better than to stand under a tree in rain. We have no control over these things. I know it hurts.

my friend was lucky a few weeks back, had lighting strike 3 big cottonwoods (100+ feet tall) and split them top to bottom, but his cattle weren't around them

I'm sorry to see that. Sorry for your loss of those 3.

A couple of years ago a friend of ours lost one to the same thing. My old farrier's family lost 6 that way, 3 of them blown to pieces.

I worry about that every time we have thunder and lightning.

Hope it doesn't happen again.

That makes me real sad for you. We had lightening hit close 2 weeks ago...found the tree it hit where we've seen cattle gather. Thankfully not that day. So sorry, the pic is heartbreaking for me.

Mercy that sucks. Sorry for your loss. We had a rain today with a lot of thunder...cows like yours were all under the trees. Fortunately nothing bad happened.

Terrible thing, I guess if you can think of a positive ...... Be glad there was not 10 or 15 head under that tree. I'm sorry for your loss! :tiphat:

Alan

sorry for your loss, many years ago, maybe 40 yrs, a storm came through NC and a neighboor had a wooded area in one of his pastures , the cows were all huddled in the woods and lightning struck and killed 30 some cows , I cant remember the exact number , but it was in the 30's , it was talked about for years around here,

Latest posts