Lightning :-(

Help Support CattleToday:

polledbull":17v2fm9q said:
sorry for your loss, many years ago, maybe 40 yrs, a storm came through NC and a neighboor had a wooded area in one of his pastures , the cows were all huddled in the woods and lightning struck and killed 30 some cows , I cant remember the exact number , but it was in the 30's , it was talked about for years around here,
It could have been worse. We are thankful it was just 3....

That was one of my fav heifers too. I had just said to my husband the day before, 'Can we keep her?' She was so sweet.

Dang that sucks. Every time a storm rolls in mine run for the trees will have me thinking from now on. I have had 4 big trees 1 mesquite 2 oak and 1 giant pecan tree all killed by lighting in the past few years the pecan tree really makes me sick. I was in the barn maybe 20 yards away from the mesquite tree when it happened talk about loud and scare the mess out of you. That was a strange storm just dust cloud thunder and lighting and came up fast no warning.

I found a big oak tree yesterday that was recently struck by lightning. It is on the back of the farm and I know the cows stand under it. I just hope the Great Spirit of my Brother Skyhightree1 protects my pretty girls.

I am sorry for your loss. I hope that it doesn't happen to us. I get anxious whenever we have a large amount of lightning very close to our herd.

Did you seek any compensation from the Farm Service Agency? I think lightening strikes fall under the severe weather related deaths.

Banjo":38mvvt5a said:
Did you seek any compensation from the Farm Service Agency? I think lightening strikes fall under the severe weather related deaths.
Interesting, at todays prices it was quite a loss....i'll look into it.