Lightning!

Help Support CattleToday:

Dad rode with a guy that once he heard thunder he was all done. The guy was riding with a friend, and his friend was hit by lightning. Killed the rider, horse and split the saddle in two.

I was once up on a roof installing propanel roofing, and could feel the electric surge through the electric drill I was using; needless to say we got off that roof.

Dad rode with a guy that once he heard thunder he was all done. The guy was riding with a friend, and his friend was hit by lightning. Killed the rider, horse and split the saddle in two.

I was once up on a roof installing propanel roofing, and could feel the electric surge through the electric drill I was using; needless to say we got off that roof.
Closest I've came .was opening a gate and the hair on my arms stood up, like static electricity ..then there was blink like a blown light bulb,then it struck over close by .

Last edited:
I was in the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness area one September hunting elk when we were caught in a thunder and lightning storm. The horses and mules had been tied up and we were hunkered over the ridge. Lightning struck a tree near one of the horses, Jesse pulled back so hard and sat down, she did a back flip roll and came up on her feet bug eyed. Luckily she stuck around this time, she ran back to the trailer before.

Back when we were milking, our parlor had lots of metal, including the metal grates the cows stood on. I always hated milking during a storm. Lots of the time, the "barn became electrified" (stanchions, feeders, milk lines, and grates carried current). Most every lightning strike, the cattle would jump and kick the milkers off. Plus, it didn't take me too long to learn to not lean against the metal during a storm!

Back when we were milking, our parlor had lots of metal, including the metal grates the cows stood on. I always hated milking during a storm. Lots of the time, the "barn became electrified" (stanchions, feeders, milk lines, and grates carried current). Most every lightning strike, the cattle would jump and kick the milkers off. Plus, it didn't take me too long to learn to not lean against the metal during a storm!
Something wasn't grounded adequately.

We had a young man killed at our school years ago . Back when there was a federal program that paid for summer workers at schools . He was waiting for his ride after working one day when a bad storm came up . He was standing under a big oak tree on the playground but leaning against the chain link fence that bordered the playground. A man driving by saw the lightning strike as it hit the fence and noticed him slumped over under the tree . Tragic

When I was in forth grade my class walked over to the old Breeze school for the art fair. It started raining, and would not let up. The teacher let all us kids run back to Sunset Elementary, I think it was about 5 or 6 blocks. I happened to have my jean jacket on, and did not get all that wet; most of the kids had to wear their paint smocks home. Just as school was letting out for the day lightning hit the top of the flagpole, caused a light fixture near the front door to fall down. Some kids were to scared to go out the door, so the parents had to come get them. I sometime wonder if the teacher got into any trouble for allowing is kids to go back to our school without supervision. Good thing nobody got hit by a car.

Something wasn't grounded adequately.
Even tho it's extremely short duration, it is difficult to provide enough ground to handle even a typical lightning bolt.
10 gigawatts.
300 million volts.
30,000 amps.

At least 10x the energy the big high voltage powerlines carry.

I have been in dairies where there is some stray voltage... and have had the dairy supply companies out several times to try to find it and ground things better... and it is always worse in thunder storms... you would never be able to ground it enough, if hit directly by lightning, but the charges in the air seem to make it worse... there is so much metal and all that... but I know that the cows will feel any change in the weather and it is concentrated in the parlors and the tie stall barns.

Saw two particularly memorable lightning strike cases when I was in practice.
First one was a pile of 9 Brangus cows & calves on top of a hill, with a live, but recumbent calf about 30 yards away. I could smell the singed hair by the time I got within 50 yards of them. You could see the linear singe marks in the hair where the lightning had danced over them.
Second was a pile (don't recall how many) beneath a tree... big split in the bark and dirt blown up all around the roots.

One of our dairy clients kept finding dead cows out in the barnlot, with no apparent lesions or illness. Partner was there for something, and a cow came walking across the lot, past the big blue Harvestore silo, bawled loudly and fell to the ground writhing around. Wires running to the silo unloader had swayed in the wind, rubbing on a metal housing and were intermittently shorting out on the metal silo, and running down to electrify the soil in the vicinity, especially dangerous when it was wet, like after a rain.
Another client was riding cross-country on his horse, which stepped on a downed powerline he'd not seen and dropped out from under him, dead. He was wearing rubber boots and kicked out of the stirrups as the horse dropped, and escaped with no injuries.

Have seen pigs electrocuted to death, or still alive, with femoral/pelvic/spinal fractures after electrical short-circuits electrify the bars of pens on a feeding floor. Femurs look like you set off an M-80 in the marrow cavity (see photo below), spinal fractures usually at lumbosacral junction. Placed call to referring vet immediately to have the producers get an electrician out immediately, before a person got electrocuted.

Attachments

• Pigs 010.jpg
    Pigs 010.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 14
I'll relate 2 experiences I had with lightning. We go back a long way and are old acquaintances. The first was a very close call when I was about 11 years old. May have been a little younger. I have to set this up, because the devil is in the details, but in space and time..especially time. This was in the early 60s, but that isn't the time aspect that was so important. The 'house' (a large building) we lived in almost all my youth was metal roof and sides. Corrugated tin, with the rear 1/2 of the building being my father's auto shop and the front 1/2 being a 3 bedroom 1 bath living quarters. Mine and brother's bedroom was in the far rear of the living quarters, meaning I traveled thru my sister's bedroom and a long hallway to get to the bathroom. No shower, just a porcelain clad cast iron tub, a toilet and sink. Very tiny too by today's standards. Hell, fooling no one, it was small even then, with only about 10" between the outer edge of the tub and the toilet seat.. The tub had the old chain and stopper, kind of like this but not as fancy..which was connected to where the overflo opening was.
chainstopper.jpg

It was raining one night, which it often did there just outside Houston Tx and I had just gotten thru running the 4-5 inches of water we each was allowed for a bath, stepped over into the water, when I remembered we had overnight guests staying, (what we all referred to only as 'company') an aunt and uncle and it meant brother and I gave up our bedroom and slept on a pallet in the living room, which also meant I had to wear pajamas to bed instead of just underwear. (if you don't know what 'slept on a "pallet' means, well, you'd just have had to been there...it didn't involve any wooden objects) I turned the water off, quickly went back to my vacated bedroom and fetched my PJs and when I got back to the bathroom, the water was draining out..:( I was gone no more than 60 seconds. This is the time aspect in question)

The stopper was out of it's hole and where the chain used to be, there was a long black mark, with round dots in it. The remnants of the chain was several burned beads scattered around the floor and bottom of the tub.

I fetched my mother of course and her first words were "Boy, What did you do now?!?"
Dad was summoned. He made an ugly face and quickly went outside...Sisters came in to see what I was gonna get shellacked for causing...
My uncle walked in to see what the commotion was and he explained it. Just outside that bathroom, directly behind the toilet was a 6" cast iron vent pipe that tied into the main drains and extended up to the eve. Cast iron was common drain line back then. Sometime in the brief period I got out of the tub and returned to my room and back to the bathroom, lightning had struck either the metal roof of the house or the iron vent pipe directly, traveled down and forked off the overflow into the chain and into the sitting water. I was very lucky. Had I not forgotten my pajamas, I would probably have been killed or at least seriously injured. That cast iron vent pipe went down about 4' into the ground...I know because a few years later, we had to dig all the drain lines up and replace them with new fangled PVC.

A few years later, still too young to drive but old enough to build fence, my mother had driven brother and I up to 'the place' 45 miles North to finish putting up a 4 wire cross fence across 82 acres. The corners were done, the wires stretched and line posts in. All we had left was stapling up the wires to the wooden creosoted line posts. Brother started on one end I began on the other. Mother stayed in the car reading as we had yet to build any human type structures on the place..cow's needs came first. A thunderstorm rolled in over the tall pines that surrounded the property and a deluge began. My father was not one to take no for an answer so I just kept working rain, wind and all. (an attribute and attitude that would serve me well some years later in a far off land) About the 4th post I got too after the storm began, I was thrown off the fence in mid hammer swing by a lightning strike somewhere on the fence. The crossfence was tied into the perimeter fence surrounding the 80 acres so no telling where it actually hit but was still strong enough a millisecond later when it reached a good ground...me, with one hand holding the wire in place and the other swinging a claw hammer. It dazed me only a little, I got up, searched for my hammer then went to tell my mother, expecting to find brother there. I was of course, wet to the bone, wondering if dad was going to be mad I didn't just brush this off and finish my assigned chore.. Brother was not there at the car. Mother of course was very upset, and we both went looking for my twin. Did not immediately find him, and just as mother was about to leave to go to the nearest pay phone to call the sheriff dept, the rain stopped and brother came walking up, dry as could be. He had taken off to a little hay barn we had on the other side of the property as soon as the storm showed itself, explaining I just didn't have sense to get in out of the rain.

Mother had a few words with Dad that night abut putting 'the boys' at risk and it wouldn't be the only time either. The previous episode involved a low hanging oak limb, a pickup truck and me getting thrown clean out the back of the truck at about 20 mph up in Trinity Texas. That one got me a bunch of stitches in my head after a trip to the emergency room. (on arrival back at home that evening, it was "Boy, you wait in the truck while I go talk to your mother..."

Last edited:
Way back when I was not hardly even knee high to a grasshopper we had lightning hit the house at the Pole Creek Ranch north of Cheyenne. I was asleep on the couch at the time, mom was in her sewing room. She seen a ball of lightning float across the room out of an outlet. She got me up and we walked over to the bunk house. The lightning blew the telephone box off the wall, turned all the valley tin up, and vaporized all the electrical wire in the attic. I don't really remember any of what happened that day.

I have seen it a couple times here. Our neighbor had it happen. I believe I made a comment a while back about risk when buying cows or calves with loans and brought up this scenario. It was laughed off by most.

If you deal with electronics or equipment that is sensitive to lightning any, you realize how often strikes actually happen.

Closest I ever got to being struck that I can remember was when I was probably about 14/15 or so and we had about a set of paddocks out around the side of the house used mostly for horses, we boarded some in there too. It blew up a bad damn storm, the kind of one where the whole world seems to be swirling in the wind and the rain is falling in damn sheets. My bastard of a former stepdad wanted me to go get something off of the fence or something, I can't remember exactly what it was, but lighting was already pretty prominent out on the edge of the place so I was sprinting like Forrest Gump. When I grabbed whatever it was, I doubled back and was moving and when I was about halfway back to the house (which was only about 60 yards from the fence) the whole world flashed bigger than all hell and I heard the most hellacious racket behind me and I ran even faster. When I looked back after I got to the door, lightning had struck the oak next to the fence not 10 yards from where I'd been.

We lost 9 head to lightening. 4 cows and 5 calves under a tree on the creek in SW Mt.
It was a sickening sight.
They weren't all pairs...

A purebred Angus rancher who always held his bull sale the last of March would put some cows and calves on a round bale feeder the day of the sale. When he got home, lightning had struck the bale feeder and killed everything that was feeding from it. And yes, lightning in SE Montana was very rare.

Latest posts